PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirls on a budget question

brazosdog02
07-02-2004, 05:20 PM
I read the tips about buffing and polishing out swirl marks and fine scratches. I do not have any swirl mark remover from meguir`s but i can get some. The other thing and main concern is that i do not have a buffer. I have one of those `dual action` buffer polishers....the ones you get at Sears.

Can i use this with any success to remove swirl marks and fine scratches? I have the scratches from the do it yourself car wash brushes. Not many, but i have used them once or twice. Removing those and the fine swirl marks and spiderwebs is my main concern.

Is it possible to do a good job with a dual action buffer??

Any tips, advice, suggestions on polish/compound are welcome.

Thanks!

PS: This is a 96 Ram, its a light silver color.

imported_perry
07-02-2004, 08:37 PM
The ones from Sears are no good.. I should know, I have one! Well, I shouldn`t say no good, just that it doesn`t really produce the results that I`m looking for. It`s decent for the price I suppose. I`m saving my pennies for a Porter Cable machine. The Porter Cable has a stronger motor and accepts a wider variety of foam buffing pads. The PC that folks talk about around here is also a dual action buffer -- but a really good DA. Model numbers 7424 and 7336.

It is possible to remove light swirls by hand using something like Meguiar`s #82 Swirl Free Polish (SFP) or perhaps 1Z Paint Polish (http://autopia-carcare.com/1z-930306.html).

Check out this article (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=15).

Big Leegr
07-03-2004, 08:22 AM
On a budget, with a cheaper orbital, I would suggest using a glaze to fill/hide the swirls, then possibly a wax with some hiding ability.

Accumulator
07-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Hands-down choice (*IMO* :D) is the 1Z PP. Easiest product of its type I`ve ever used, even leaves wax behind so you don`t have to do a second step after a day of polishing (unless you want to), you can just top it after the next wash.

mnbv
07-03-2004, 01:41 PM
I have SFP, cost 17.5, owch. But anyway, I am going to test SFP in a small area (that has swirls) If it works then I will use that and then contiune on with S100 SECP. If it does not completely remove it then I will break out my DACP to use first. I will return the DACP if SFP is enough. After useing DACP, I will use SFP after. Is this a good process, or should I only use DACP if it is needed. (not use SFP if DACP is needed) I am doing this by hand.

Accumulator
07-03-2004, 01:52 PM
mnbv- Ouch, that sounds like a lot of work by hand. I`d guess that you`ll need to use the SFP after the DACP, but see what you think (it`s hard to generalize). Your plan sounds good, just pretty labor-intensive.

mnbv
07-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I could return the sfp if the DACP works well enough (It very well might be, people complement the paint even without a wash!) But I know there are swirls.

shaf
07-04-2004, 06:26 AM
Agdodge4x4 you can always try it, since you own one already. It may not have the performance you need, and might be a bit awkward (depending on how big it is) so be prepared to do most of it by hand. It`s labour intensive, as said, but possible. Also, :welcome

I`d suggest to everyone that they have at least two polishes. One fine, one moderately strong. In mnbv`s case, I would not return the SFP as it`s good to have it available in case you need it now or some other day.

(BTW, this was a bit of a thread hijacking mnbv, but I`ll let it slide this time... ;))

mnbv
07-05-2004, 02:21 PM
yea it was, heh. I`ll try not to do that again.