PDA

View Full Version : Fresh from the body shop.

jwil
07-02-2004, 04:01 PM
I just picked up my car from the body shop where it has been repsprayed, wetsanded and polished (among other things) and I could use some tips for getting the most out of the shine. I specifically asked the paint tech about waxing and he said that is was safe to wax right now but not to polish it. The paint is fully cured because it had been baked. It was also painted almost two weeks ago, so it`s had plenty of time to out-gas.

So. With that in mind, here is my bare canvas, what would you all recommend?

http://www.auto-fix.com/photos/Jeff%20Wilson/RIMG0099a.jpg

http://www.auto-fix.com/photos/Jeff%20Wilson/RIMG0098a.jpg

vinnymack
07-02-2004, 10:28 PM
alot of the members here are getting great results from VM/EX-P .... I would try out s100/p21s also

tb's type-s
07-03-2004, 01:45 AM
The klasse twins + #16 is combo that I really liked on my dad`s black 530i.

-Tony

37buckeye
07-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Nice looking Passat!

How much time are you willing to put into detailing the car?

If you are looking for something more durable, Klasse AIO/SG is a great option. I`ve also heard great things about 1Z Glanz, though I have not tried it yet.

If you want to go carnuba, Klasse AIO topped with Souveran (or P21S/S100).

tguil
07-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Regardless of what the painter said, I would still wait about 3 months before applying any type of sealer or carnauba wax. Mequiar`s Speed Glaze #80 is supposed to be the perfect product for this situation. The finish will look great and it offers some protection. Just apply it often. It appears that you received a super paint job.

Tom:cool:

Matt M, PA
07-03-2004, 08:21 AM
I`m with tguil...my body shop always recommends 60 days before a sealant.

stevet
07-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Just wondering why you were told that it was safe to wax but not to polish? You can polish paint right away. The boby shop probably already did. It`s the waxing you usually have to wait to do.

Lowejackson
07-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by stevet

Just wondering why you were told that it was safe to wax but not to polish? You can polish paint right away. The boby shop probably already did. It`s the waxing you usually have to wait to do.

Exactly what I was thinking. This was also the advice I was given when my car was repainted a month or so ago

jwil
07-06-2004, 07:17 PM
I`ve been away for a couple days, so pardon the delayed response. I was told not to polish because the car didn`t need it. ;) The paint was like glass and completely mar free. Polishing it would have been pretty pointless, ya know.

As for wax/sealant, I simply couldn`t leave it naked for 60~90 days. New Jersey has horrible acid rain and the car is a daily driver, so I don`t want to run with unprotected paint. Since the paint shop said waxing is completely safe I was comfortable putting a layer of Wolfgang high gloss sealant on over the weekend.

I`m going to top it off with either Pinnacle Souveran or s100 this weekend too.

I wish I had a better camera to really do justice to the quality of this paintwork. I`m extremely happy. Thanks for the compliments too!:)