PDA

View Full Version : Smoker`s cars...

Pages : [1] 2 3

GoodnClean
07-02-2004, 01:48 PM
What do you all do about smoker`s cars? I find them disgusting and much harder to clean and have been asking when I quote an estimate and charging a $15 surcharge. I had a woman lie to me though, said it was a non-smoking car when I got there the ashtrays were full of ashes and cigarettes :rolleyes: I didn`t feel like arguing over the $15 so I just took the money and left. You`d think if she were going to lie she`d at least have dumped the ashtray...

So what does everyone else do if anything? I`m doing $15 for smokers $15 for dogs.

n2_space
07-02-2004, 02:03 PM
I look at a car and determine how long it will take and calculate that at an hourly rate and that is what I quote.

Corey Bit Spank
07-02-2004, 02:28 PM
I hate hate hate hate smokers cars with a passion. Reminds me of my grandfather. :(

GoodnClean
07-02-2004, 02:31 PM
All the ashes in the carpets and the seats, all your interior towels including the window towels get black. Ylllech :eek:

foris2
07-02-2004, 02:45 PM
I don`t charge anything extra, just do what I`m paid to do and use Meguiar`s Car Odor Eliminator and move on to the next one.

imported_CBX Carl
07-02-2004, 06:38 PM
We have a small auto repair shop and we have actually turned away quite a few cars from "animal" owners. I feel bad for the Detailer who would clean them. Some people really scare me with the way they keep their cars.

Accumulator
07-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I`d do it on a case-by-case basis. Not all smoker`s cars/dog haulers have an odor issue. Just as some are really gross, others are fine.

Labster
07-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I`d do it on a case-by-case basis. Not all smoker`s cars/dog haulers have an odor issue. Just as some are really gross, others are fine.

What part of NE Ohio are you from Accumulator? I`m from Macedonia.

jimmybuffit
07-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Ever do a `dead dog` car?

That`s fun.

Jim

stilez
07-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

That`s fun.

Jim

I have :(

Bad smell and blood on the carpets. Poor thing died on the way to the animal hospital.

As far as a smoker`s car, make sure you use a de-odorizing carpet cleaner. I usually pre-treat with simple green. Soak anything you can in a APC solution in a bucket. Other than that, Good Luck.

ncal
07-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I just had to hug my dog after reading that : (

Scottwax
07-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

That`s fun.

Jim

No, but I`ve done a `I cut my arm and dropped two pints of blood into the passenger footwell, then closed the all the windows and parked it in the hot June sun for 10 days until I called someone and told them I had a few minor blood stains on the carpet` car. :(

I almost hurled when I opened the door. http://www.scottwax.com/rice/videos/smilies/eek4.gif

GoodnClean
07-03-2004, 12:21 AM
I just did a Jeep Grand Cherokee with "some dog hair" that had two inches of dog hair in the rear. It was unbelievable, it looked like a dog`s coat exploded in there. Nothing I could do, it was so bad and ground in nothing would remove it, not a pet hair brush, not a wet rubber glove, not a vacuum, nothing. The carpeting would have to be replaced. Customer understood though.

Smell isn`t my concern its the extra time involved removing the smoke residue from all the interior surfaces, cleaning out the ashtrays, removing dog nose marks and dog hair. I find that usually smoker/dog interiors take me up to an hour more on the interior than normal.

Its like I told the customer driving dogs around is great, I do it. You`ve just got to vacuum every week and it won`t get like that. Then again he also had a 2001 Jeep he thought was a 95 :rolleyes:

Nickshades
07-03-2004, 04:59 AM
For the Interiors, I normally use 3 different types of carpet cleaners (like an APC+, Simple Green, and a citrus spot cleaner). I have a smokers car to do in a few weeks and was wondering if there are certain products that are recommended to use in these stinky situations. I know when i do the interiors, I usually smell those cleaners when getting in the car. I hope that`s a good thing, unless an interior fragrance is better to be sprayed. if so I haven`t had any luck finding a decent one.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Nick

DaGonz
07-03-2004, 06:19 AM
For vehicles that are "major interior hazmat incidents", I charge by the hour and let the customer know up front that it will probably take a few hours just to clean the inside.