PDA

View Full Version : Help with wifes Jeep

kevmo327
07-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Wife drives a Ruby Red 04 Liberty and after a recent trip north I noticed that the entire car has a "sandpaper" feel to it....cannot see anyhtign in or on the pain but can feel it...I washed, tried some #9 and AIO and didnt make a bit of difference...As I said, nothing is visible (like overspray) and after the things I tried on a test panel the paint looked great but the grittiness was still there...I have no idea what it could be but need to make it go away...ideas, thought, suggesitons?

Note: I would offer a pic but you cannot see anything?

Update - 7.4.04

I tried the clay route and it worked however was a bear to do...this thing was so covered that it took most of the afternoon, one bar of clay and it is still not up to par but a lot better than it was. As she is leaving next week on a road trip I clayed as best I could then gave it another wash and this morning gave it AIO/SG

When she gets back I will probabaly clay again in the spots that are still rough.

Thanks for everyone advice!

jerry@robs
07-02-2004, 01:47 AM
Obvious question I guess... Have you tried claying the car? If it`s that fine, chances are a clay bar will pick it right up. Maybe it`s overspray, fallout or rail dust, i don`t know... But it should take it out.

kevmo327
07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
I have not tried claying, that was going to be my first guess.

I was looking at the car thi sam and this stuff is all over every inch, heavier on hood and roof but everywhere and I looked at it in bright sun and you still cannot see it

membim
07-02-2004, 09:35 AM
My mother`s Chrysler is the same way. I clay it all the time and just can`t get it smooth. I think is a Daimler/Chrysler paint thing?!?!?!?!?!?

kevmo327
07-02-2004, 09:43 AM
No, this paint was smooth as glass untill two weeks ago

wash-girl
07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
I agree with the advice to try claying. If that doesn`t do it, a trip to the dealer might be in order. There`s no reason a brand new car should have paint problems in less than a year.

In the past, Jeep and other Chrysler products have had their share of paint problems. I guess I`ve been lucky and done enough to keep mine nice. I know sometimes it can even be a matter of what color it is that will make the difference between "good" paint and paint that has problems.

I did a quick search, and could not find any Technical Service Bulletins related to the paint on 2004 Jeeps, or Liberties in general. It could just be that not enough people have complained yet.

Here is a helpful link, in the event you run into any problems with the dealer`s response to your complaint: http://www.theinfomaniac.net/infomaniac/content/cars/120carsStepByStep.html

Yobwoc
07-02-2004, 10:12 AM
I agree with the advice to try claying. If that doesn`t do it, a trip to the dealer might be in order. There`s no reason a brand new car should have paint problems in less than a year.

If you can`t see it, you will have problems explaining your complaint to the dealer. My wife`s `02 Silver Grande Cherokee is still smooth, and I just tried NXT which left it looking even brighter.

Try the clay and you should be able to feel smooth paint right away.