PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophobic Glass

tkr128
07-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Has anybody tried polishing glass with a hydrophobic coating from the factory? My 4Runner came with them and I want to polish my glass, but I`m afraid an abrasive polish might take the coating off. I`m thinking about a chemical polish (PB`s PP or AIO) but I`m wondering if those might affect the coating. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

meGrimlock
07-02-2004, 06:09 AM
I wouldn`t use anything abrasive - it would probably destroy that coating. As far as I know, Autoglym glass polish is non-abrasive, and so is the Detailer`s Pride glass restorer at Autogeek.

thinksnow
07-02-2004, 07:15 AM
I scratched a test portion of a rearview mirror with the Detailer`s Pride glass polish. Thus, I believe it is abrasive. Autoglym didn`t exhibit the same behavior.

How long is this "coating" supposed to last (ie: is it Toyota`s Aquapel)?

Originally posted by IndigoGTI

I wouldn`t use anything abrasive - it would probably destroy that coating. As far as I know, Autoglym glass polish is non-abrasive, and so is the Detailer`s Pride glass restorer at Autogeek.

Mark57
07-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Is it only the rear glass that`s coated or is it the sides as well? I too have an 03 4Runner. Rain-X works great on the windshield and sides but forget trying to use it on the back. Therefore I assumed it was only factory coated on the back glass?

togwt
07-02-2004, 07:39 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Has anybody tried polishing glass with a hydrophobic coating from the factory?

I’ve never heard a product like Castrol Accuvision described as a hydrophobic coating (lacking affinity for water) before (but then I’ve led a very sheltered life) this is not a criticism; the description is factual, just unusual.

Autoglym has a non-abrasive glass polish (Autoglym Car Glass Polishâ„¢) which should solve the problem

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

membim
07-02-2004, 09:34 AM
I also think the Detailer`s Pride Glass Polish is abrasive. Whatever you do, don`t use Simple Green on that windshield. I screwed up my bosses brand new S500 Benz`s windshied with Simple Green. The bugs were terrible. I think he had the same coating you are talking about.

Good Luck!!!

tkr128
07-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the replies, I`ll have to try out the Autoglym.

TOGWT, is that what the glass is treated with? Castrol Accuvision? I`m not too sure what the heck is done to the glass, I just know it works pretty darn well and I don`t want to remove it. Do you have anymore information about it? I`m kind of curious since it isn`t discussed much.

Mark57, all the side windows and the back window were treated from the factory. I`m not too worried about polishing the windshield since it doesn`t seem to repel water like the other glass. Toyota, however says the windshield was treated, but does not say if the back window was. There`s a thread over at t4r.org that people have noticed the same things I have though.

Mark57
07-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by tkr128

Thanks for the replies, I`ll have to try out the Autoglym.

TOGWT, is that what the glass is treated with? Castrol Accuvision? I`m not too sure what the heck is done to the glass, I just know it works pretty darn well and I don`t want to remove it. Do you have anymore information about it? I`m kind of curious since it isn`t discussed much.

Mark57, all the side windows and the back window were treated from the factory. I`m not too worried about polishing the windshield since it doesn`t seem to repel water like the other glass.

Agreed!! See you on T4R.org! Mark

togwt
07-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Quote: TOGWT, is that what the glass is treated with? Castrol Accuvision? I`m not too sure what the heck is done to the glass, I just know it works pretty darn well and I don`t want to remove it. Do you have anymore information about it? I`m kind of curious since it isn`t discussed much.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I should have written “ i.e. Castrol Accuvision “, I don’t know what rain protection was (if any) applied to your glass (if I had to guess I’d say it was Aquapel, as its normally a dealer install)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

tkr128
07-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

I should have written “ i.e. Castrol Accuvision “, I don’t know what rain protection was (if any) applied to your glass (if I had to guess I’d say it was Aquapel, as its normally a dealer install)

Thanks, I get what you mean now. But, the glass comes from the factory with the coating, not applied at the dealer. It`s also a permanant treatment.