PDA

View Full Version : Wax or Sealant ?

Pages : [1] 2

BRUN
07-01-2004, 07:28 PM
right, im about to put an order in for some Meguiars stuff, but i dont know which wax or try, or go for a sealant

i own a metallic black car

i dont really want a pure carnauba as the durability isnt generally all that good

ill be using medallion paint cleaner, followed by #7 show car glaze, and i need something to finish it off with.........1 product, not another 2 or 3 hehe !

i live in the UK and our weather is terrible, i do want good shine hence me choosing #7 Glaze, however if its at the expense of durability its no good to me !

(if i find the #7 too hard to work with ill be getting #81 instead)

my thoughts at the moment, are whether to go for #16, as even though it is part carnauba, it seems to get good durability reviews

other than that, i called the UK Megs Helpline, and the fella i spoke to said he would go for the Medallion Paint Protection, or NXT

i know the jury is still out on the durability of NXT, im still yet to make up my own mind, and if the layer i applied last week lasts another few weeks, then thats what ill be buying, as its cheap, the shine is good, it hides some swirls, and is a dream to use

another thing im wondering about aswell, is the application of sealants over a glaze, some are said to contain cleaners, now are these cleaners mild enough not to remove the #7 glaze ?.......say in the case of #20.........or even NXT actually, i was told it wasnt abrasive, but not sure whether it would remove some of the #7 layer

thank you in advance for any info or help you can offer me !

jfelbab
07-01-2004, 08:57 PM
#16 looks very nice on black and should bring out the metallic highlights too. It is a very durable product. It goes on very thin and comes off easily too. A tin will do about 30 cars.

Lately I have been testing NXT and am very happy with it. I posted a couple of pics in another thread of the water beading after 68 days on a daily driver. I am very happy with the durability but I should warn you that some have reported very poor durability. So try it for yourself. It`s cheap and readily available.

Looks like you have the prep products well covered. How about posting some before and after pics.

s2skimon
07-01-2004, 10:15 PM
i`ve found the sealants work best for me.. WG and Klasse

BRUN
07-02-2004, 01:58 AM
well i cant get any klasse here in the uk, so if im going to use a sealant, it will me Meguiars #20 Polymer Sealant........

anyone know how strong the cleaners are in it ?.....

General Lee
07-02-2004, 04:44 AM
NXT has some cleaners so it will probably degrade your #7.

Check out www.collonite.com if that is not the site do a search on Collonite wax. I read about it and heard it is very durable.

jimmybuffit
07-02-2004, 06:13 AM
#20 polymer sealant, or NXT (sealant).

#16 is a wax, and altho quite good, will not have the durability of any sealant.

2-3 coats of NXT, spaced 24 hours, and you`ll be quite pleased. Durability could be beyond three months. YMMV.

Jim

Lenny
07-02-2004, 07:33 AM
No. 20 Polymer Sealant has a nice shine and good durability, but the cleaners in it are strong enough to remove the No. 7.

No. 80 Speed Glaze, or No. 9 2.0 Swirl Remover may be a better choice with the No. 20. I`ve had good results using the No. 26 Hi-Tech Paste Wax as a topper with No. 20.

Anyone else out there with Meguiars experience - got any other suggestions?

togwt
07-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Quote: well i cant get any klasse here in the uk

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Wot no Klasse? Things have changed I was brought up with Klasse. What about Autoglym, it’s a polymer sealant with good durability (made for the rainless British weather…)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Lowejackson
07-02-2004, 12:07 PM
You cannot buy Klasse in the UK but it can be bought from Europe.

I would not overlook Autoglym, it might also be worth looking at Blitz, which seems to be one of the longest lasting wax`s.

Lowejackson
07-02-2004, 12:16 PM
So, I was wrong, Car-lack can be bought in the UK

http://www.southdownaero.com/category5_1.htm

http://www.afeonline.com/afeshop/en-gb/dept_358.html

BRUN
07-02-2004, 12:20 PM
who is Car Lack 68 made by then ?

ive got almost the entire range of AutoGlym, dont reckon much to it really in the polish/wax dept, the other stuff is good though

can anyone else confirm that the cleaners in #20 are strong enough to remove #7, thanks a lot Len_A, need to be sure though as it will certainly provide the durability i want

its lookin like i might have to go down the carnauba route, as all the sealants i can get in the UK seem to have cleaners in them

anyone know if poorboys EX-P has any cleaners in it, as maybe i could use that and then top with #16

BRUN
07-03-2004, 01:40 AM
ive emailed poorboys a few times and looks like ill try EX or EX-P, as ive been told it does contain cleaners, but no abrasives, and the cleaners are very mild, if applied by hand and not rubbed hard, it shouldnt affect the glaze underneath

now all i need to do, is decide whether to use EX, or EX-P, ive been told a few things from someone at poorboys, but i still cant decide which one to go for.........

mnbv
07-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Read a few reviews, you will find very quickly that EX-P is a better product. This is what I am doing (potentially): Wash, Clay, Wash, DACP, SFP, S100 SECP, EX-P (possibly 2x), S100 wax (possibly 2x).

BRUN
07-03-2004, 02:00 AM
cheers mate, ive read a lot of reviews about both, ill go with the EX-P and then get some #16 or P21s to go over it

Lowejackson
07-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Car Lack are the original makers of Klasse. Klasse is simply the marketing name used in the USA.