PDA

View Full Version : Leather Compatibilities?

Nates
07-01-2004, 05:05 PM
The long version:

So what originallly started as a quest to restore the feel of my leather has turned into a long quest toward overhauling it. I ordered leatherique`s rejuvinator oil and pristine clean (a quart of each) and went to work on the seats of my `91 Range Rover. 1st my original dye began to sludge off which leatherique says is normal for leather that was laquer sprayed from the factory and subsequently was improperly (not) cared for, it was also not penetrating in very well. So I stripped off my old laquer dye and began the process to restore the old leather with MANY, MANY, MANY applications of RO over the course of a few weeks (yeah I covered the seat in plastic... nice hot day, and so on). In the end, just my pasenger seat took 4/5ths of a quart of RO... WHEW! anyhow I noticed on one of my lower seat panels (side bolster?) there was a hard black strip running down the center (long way) that would not soften up (the rest of the seat felt AMAZING). Leatherique could not tell me what was going on, I even called ColorPlus (their main competition) to get their opinion. Color plus thinks that since that panel was in the roughest shape ie. cracked, that someone had treated it with silicone based product which soaked in and was causing the problem. Anyway, here I sit with a stripped (and soft) seat with a bad panel that needs to be replaced before I can dye it. In talking to my local leather places, they said that I can get the panel replaced for around $60 if I pull the cover and bring it in. But they said it will be a different type of leather (non connoly) American style leather that was dyed a different way... Then he mentioned the dreaded S word.. SILICONE. Something about the dying and protection process. If this is the problem that [might] have caused my problem before, does anyone know if it will be compatible with leatherique`s dye? I`m on a budget so $60 is really all I can afford right now (no ordering connoly). I`ll also ask leatherinqe, but I must admit they are REALLY hard to get ahold of sometimes and OCCASIONALLY contradict themselves (however, very nice people and helpful).

The short version:

Will leatherique dye act the same on a new bolster panel of American leather as my old connoly leather?

shaf
07-01-2004, 05:27 PM
I`m moving this to the Detailing forum because there`s no WAY this is a "basic" question. :D

Sorry I don`t know the answer BTW....

Nates
07-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks, I was just trying to abide by the rules. I was under the impression that I couldn`t post anywhere but the University until I had 30 posts, but thanks for the move, looking forward to a response from anyone.