PDA

View Full Version : package coming in today, need some quick tips!

schneider325
07-01-2004, 10:41 AM
ookkk well my detailing supplies are comming in, proably in about half an hour since it was put on a fedex truck at 8am this morrning!!! The patient is a 87 Black BMW 325e with major paint problems

I need a couple tips.

1) my drivway is pretty sunny right now. Any suggestions on washing the car in the sun?

2) once i am done washing it, should i bring it into the garadge to do my polishing and what not?

3) I have to sand a couple parts were touchup paint was applied but put on wrong, should i do that first before i do anything else?

4) I have alot of pads right now 1 wool, 2 cutting, 3 polishing, 1 waxing

what pads should i use with these products, im just making sure, since what pad u use for sertain products change when u use combinations of products

a) 1Z Ultra Paint Polish ( for whole car):

b) 1Z paint polish

c) AIO

b) SG

e) wax ( didnt get that yet but still)

5) I aslo purchased forever black a while ago, any tips when applying this stuff? im planning on taking of all the trim

6) I have some sonus acrilic spritz and a CBT coming in too...should I apply a coat of that stuff inbettween every coat of AIO and SG I do?

I cant wait to get started, i have invested over 300 bucks in everything i need. I`ll steal my dads camra and take as many pics as a can, and share them with u and especially the BMW forums i go to becuase it seems like they are clueless on how to wash there car.

hey the doorbell just rang....time to get STARTED!

l33
07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
1. Don`t wash in the sun

2. Bring it in the garage.

3. Definitly sand first.

4. I wouldn`t touch it with a wool pad if your using a rotarty. Try the least aggressive combo first.

a - cutting pad

b,c - polishing pad

d,e - waxing pad

SK2003TypeS
07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
1) Ideally, don`t. But if you have to, do a small section at a time and keep rinsing the entire car to avoid water spots. Maybe leave the car in the garage for a little while to bring down the temperature of the paint.

2) If you have a garage to detail in, I would. You`re then out of direct sunlight, probably cooler and the percentages of a bird attack are in your favor.

3) If you have to do any paint repair, you should do it days before detailing since the new paint will have to cure.

4) I`m not fully sold on a wool pad yet. Mainly because I haven`t come across a car that needed it.

Tough to say since we don`t know what your paint looks like, but a) and b) can be cutting or polishing. AIO I use polishing, SG and wax a waxing/finishing pad.

5) Directions on the bottle should be fine. Foam applicator ? Let it "soak" in for like 1/2 hour.

6) I don`t have sonus, but I use a QD between layers.

BMW forums ? Well there`s bimmer crowd here that knows their stuff :xyxthumbs

No mention of clay, hope you plan to clay too

schneider325
07-01-2004, 02:39 PM
ya im claying right now, and im using just a spray bottle with car soap in it... im not sure if im doing this part right it looks like its streaking is this normal?

do u dry your car after u clay, the spray bottle is getting the car quite wet... i`ll cheak the how-to thing on claying again