PDA

View Full Version : Will aggressive hand-buffing remove SG?

imported_rachelanne16
06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
I put on layer 2 of SG after work, today. It usually comes off for me with no problems at all. But this time, it was after dusk and really humid (and I may have overly spritzed my MF pad with the SG at times). When I went to remove it, I had to buff harder than usual in places.

So I was just wondering if truly aggressive hand-buffing with a MF towel could remove most of a layer of SG. How heavy-handed would a person have to be to undo the work he had just done?

On the one hand, I think that it would be pretty difficult to remove a bonded layer of SG with a MF towel. On the other hand, it does eventually wear off, so with enough friction ...

Bill D
06-30-2004, 10:58 PM
I doubt it, I would be concerned a bit with micromarring the finish though

dmatre
07-01-2004, 05:16 AM
The same thing has happened to me. In between Wipe-On, Wipe-Off, and `wait `til dry`, there`s a zone where the SG is sticky, and is very difficult to remove.

Rather than apply more elbow grease (potentially marring the surface), I simply work back over the area with my MF application pad, then wipe off. The SG left on the pad will re-solubilize (is that a word?) the SG on the car, and you can then easily remove the remaining product.

The other trick that works very well is to use the Sonus QD spray on the difficult-to-remove areas. This also allows easy wipe-off of the remaining SG.

Also, I`ve found that removal of the SG is easier for me when I use a 100% cotton cloth than when I use MF for removal. I don`t know why, but the SG definitely comes off easier for me with cotton.

Coming back to your question: I can`t believe that hard hand-buffing with MF would `undo your work`. Any SG that`s bonded to the paint is stuck there. Only if you rubbed hard enough to heat the surface (not likely) could I imagine bonded product being removed from the paint.

imported_rachelanne16
07-01-2004, 12:09 PM
I was very tempted to spritz some Sonus on my towel, but I was worried about "halting the bonding process," or whatever. Maybe I should have been more worried about micro marring ...

Today after work I am going to wash and buff (this vehicle stays parked outside). If everything looks OK, I will top with a layer of Blackfire UPP.

It was too dark when I finished to really tell, and I could only give it a passing glance as I ran out the door this morning, but I could see that I am close to achieving a very reflective finish.

Usually at this stage, the most time-consuming step is the wash/dry between SG layers, but July in NC ... the humidity is a problem with SG drying. But at least it`s been overcast.

Thanks for the replies!