PDA

View Full Version : Mustang 5.0 single stage finish - tips?

jrush
06-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Just picked up a 90 Mustang GT 5.0 in strawberry (more like maroon) but....

The car has a stock single stage (I think) paint finish and is swirled, and somewhat dull. Could anybody reccomend some products? I have been using Minzerna IP/FP, and AIO with P21S on my new cars.

Thanks

imported_Intel486
06-30-2004, 05:51 PM
I`m not familiar with the Menzerna polishes so I can recommend anything with them.

Other than that compound/polish wise treat the paint the same as you would a clear coated paint. Be prepared to have your pads stained though.

imported_BretFraz
06-30-2004, 05:57 PM
I think Strawberry is a metallic and was clearcoated. IIRC, Mustangs of that vintage had clearcoats on their metallic paint and single stage in solid colors. But be sure to test it before polishing.

Anyway, your current product line should work fine. I had a black `90 LX5.0, single stage, and I used all sorts of polishes and waxes on it with good results.

Dalight
06-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by jrush

Just picked up a 90 Mustang GT 5.0 in strawberry (more like maroon) but....

Ah, the good old Rustang color. My friend had one of these.

FYI, he tried blackfire on it and wasn`t pleased with the results. Possibly, the condition of the paint was a factor. It probably coulda used an application of DACP.

PFDarkside
07-01-2004, 06:47 AM
I bet a shot of DACP will liven it back up. Correct me if I`m wrong, but it should help with both swirls and oxidation, right?

jrush
07-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah, the paint on these wasn`t that great to begin with but hoping I`ll be able to conidition it, and make it shine pretty good. I have never used DACP (what is it??) and can I apply it with a PC and can I buy it in the stores?

Thanks for the tips!

RobertM
07-01-2004, 12:53 PM
DACP = Dual Action Cleaner Polish from Meguiars and yes it can be applied with the PC or by hand. Also, Wild Strawberry should be base coat/clearcoat as mentioned above. I use to own a 91 strawberry 5.0 hatch.

jrush
07-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Could I find this in the store local, or is there some 3M product I can find at Napa that would do the trick? Your right, it is cleared. I was wrong.

JasonD
07-01-2004, 10:31 PM
I don`t remember any of the Fox bodied Mustangs with single stage paint, but I might be wrong.

hirosh
07-02-2004, 03:56 PM
my `89 stang has a single stage dark red/maroon (non-metallic) paint job. i did the hood last weekend with some MPPC and my pads had paint transfer. i guess it depends on whether the paint is metallic or not.