PDA

View Full Version : What can I put on freshly painted bumper?

Kai
10-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Hi all,
I just got a new front bumper painted yesterday, but I`ll attending a GTG/show this Saturday. I was wondering if it`s OK for me to put any sort of polymer based sealant, such as UPP or NXT, on that bumper? How about wax? Or it doesn`t matter, I`d need to let the bumper cure a bit longer before applying anything since it`s not a factory painted piece.

TIA~!

JaredPointer
10-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Maybe call the body shop and see what they say. If not, I would shy away from using a sealant or wax on it. I think I have heard on here you could use a glaze for a little protection.

EBPcivicsi
10-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi all,
I just got a new front bumper painted yesterday, but I`ll attending a GTG/show this Saturday. I was wondering if it`s OK for me to put any sort of polymer based sealant, such as UPP or NXT, on that bumper? How about wax? Or it doesn`t matter, I`d need to let the bumper cure a bit longer before applying anything since it`s not a factory painted piece.

TIA~!

You can use an glaze that you want including, 3M IHG, meguiars #7, #5, #81, #3, or #80(though it is not a true glaze). I would personally put the #80 on it as it leaves some polymer protection behind.

kimwallace
10-13-2004, 08:55 AM
:yeah To both posts
Glazes are usually safe on repaints
Sealants and waxes can trap the solvents in the new paint if it is not cured completely.
You body shop person should be able to tell you if the paint was cured by heat and what you can safely apply.

Kai
10-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys.
3M IHG and Meg #7 were both recommended by the shop. The suggest glaze is fine, but no wax. I just wanted to see if that`s also the case for the polymer based sealant.
Since I don`t have much IHG left, I was wondering if I can use Menzerna Final Polish instead, or that doesn`t really work like a glaze and probably too harsh on new paint.

Kai
10-13-2004, 10:49 AM
How about QD? Which QD can I use on that? I just got my Last Touch from Dwayne(thanks for the help :dancin) , after UPS` screw up last weekend, can`t wait try that out. But I wonder if Last Touch would be safe to use on new paint.

Big Leegr
10-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Most qd`s (IIRC Last Touch included) contain silicones to add shine. I know silicones are bad before painting (fisheyes), but not sure about after. I would guess that they may have a detrimental effect since the paint isn`t 100% cured.

Stick to a glaze for the next month. You`ll still be able to get a nice shine for the shows.

kimwallace
10-13-2004, 02:24 PM
How about QD? Which QD can I use on that? I just got my Last Touch from Dwayne(thanks for the help :dancin) , after UPS` screw up last weekend, can`t wait try that out. But I wonder if Last Touch would be safe to use on new paint.
Personally I would stick with something without silicones or waxes.
Meguiars Final Inspection or Poorboys Spray and Wipe would be my first choices.