PDA

View Full Version : Going on a 3 Hour Drive. Couple Questions.

thegeek
06-30-2004, 12:56 PM
What`s up everybody? It`s been forever since I posted here. Nice to be back. Been around, but real busy. Didn`t post that much when I was around, but more than I have lately. To those who don`t remember me, I have a white 1994 Honda Accord EX on 18`s, lowered, and with the lowers painted. Just yesterday, I had my front bumper repainted along with my stock front lip. Looks great.

On Friday, I`m going on a three hour drive up to Orlando, Florida.I don`t have a front bra for the car, but I do have a bug grill/bra type of thing that I got at Autozone last minute (I didn`t have enough money to get a real bra :( ). I just got the front repainted, so I want to protect it. I know there is a certain tape that people use to tape the front part of the car. If I remember right, it`s a blue tape. Where can I find this tape, and whats it called? Also, does this tape remove paint from the car when removing it? What parts of the car would you guys reccomend me taping also? I planned on this:

Tape side mirrors

Tape the main front part of the front bumper (not the side sections)

Tape the front upper grill

Tape the front part of hood

Tape behind the wheels

Use the front bug grill thingy.

Am I going a little overboard? I know this is Autopia, so that`s probably nothing near how protected you guys would be, but if anyone can help me out, I`d greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys/gals!

wash-girl
06-30-2004, 01:07 PM
The blue tape you`re referring to is 3M Scotch-Blue painter`s tape (http://www.3m.com/us/office/scotch/transducttape/product.jhtml). It can be found at any hardware store or paint shop. It is removeable, without residue, for about 2 weeks.

I`ve heard it used for masking while painting or using a rotary, but never for use over the road. I don`t know how it would hold up, especially if there`s rain. But it may be worth a shot.

thegeek
06-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks ZJ JIM for the fast response. Depending on if I get anymore replies, I`m going to pick some up tomorrow at Home Depot. My friend and his cousin used it on his car for a long trip once, and said it worked great. Anyone else have any opinions, reccomendations, comments? Thanks again Jim!

trueblueblood
06-30-2004, 01:59 PM
A properly fitting bra is crucial don`t cheap out its your front end we are talkin about here it need all the support it can:D ! Couldn`t resist. The only problem I see in that and I`m no expert maybe someone can follow up better. But when you paint a car it takes time for the paint to cure and during this process it is releasing solvents from the paint that is why they usually tell you not to wax for 30 days or more. So putting painters tape over it although a good idea might interfere with that process, just a thought. Are you more concerned about chip and rock dings or getting it dirty with bug guts? If the latter just bring some qd and mf`s and clean it up when you get there. Hope that helps some

BoxsterCharlie
06-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Honestly, chips happen over months and years, not days or weeks. And I agree with true blue about putting anything sticky over fresh paint. I`d just relax and enjoy your drive. No tailgating, that`s the biggest issue and will save your windshield anyway.

thegeek
06-30-2004, 11:51 PM
True blue blood, I`m not necessarily "cheaping out," it`s just that I don`t have the money at the moment to get a bra for the trip and am leaving before I`ll have money to get one. I`m more concerned with rock and chip dings than the bug guts. I figure the bug grill bra thing will help with the bugs and bug guts. My plan was to tape up what I had previously stated, and remove it when I got up there, and then re-tape for the drive down and get a bra (I`ll be moving up there to live within the next month) so I`ll need it if I drive back and forth in the long run. I didn`t plan on keeping the tape on for more than the 3 hour drive. Anyone else have anything else to say about this topic? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

dcswd
07-01-2004, 12:29 AM
for tape... get the 3" width stuff. That would be a ton easier than the more widely avaliable 1" size. Decide if you need a double layer also.

PFDarkside
07-01-2004, 06:44 AM
IMO, the bra will mar the finish when grit gets trapped between it and the paint. If you are going to leave it on all the time then no big deal, but I don`t know if it`s the best for just trips.

Maybe the 3M clear film bra? I`m highly considering repainting my front bumper and getting this...

imported_garyo
07-01-2004, 08:58 AM
I have used "racers" tape (probably the same stuff as the 3M stuff) for a couple of track events to try and protect the front of my car. I have never had good luck with the stuff staying on for more than a session or so (which isn`t even driving for more than 45 minutes at a time). I just gave up. It seems if your car has been detailed lately many of the sealants and waxes seem to cause the tape not to stick well.

Personally I would just do nothing and enjoy the drive. Take the product of your choosing and remove the bugs from the front when you get there if it really bothers you.

trueblueblood
07-01-2004, 09:03 AM
I was just kidding if you didn`t catch it, it was a boob reference :D

If your only leaving it on for a few hours I`m sure it won`t hurt. Do you plan on permanetly putting a bra on the car or is this just a temporary thing to protect the new paint?

Originally posted by 94AccordSedanEX

True blue blood, I`m not necessarily "cheaping out," it`s just that I don`t have the money at the moment to get a bra for the trip and am leaving before I`ll have money to get one. I`m more concerned with rock and chip dings than the bug guts. I figure the bug grill bra thing will help with the bugs and bug guts. My plan was to tape up what I had previously stated, and remove it when I got up there, and then re-tape for the drive down and get a bra (I`ll be moving up there to live within the next month) so I`ll need it if I drive back and forth in the long run. I didn`t plan on keeping the tape on for more than the 3 hour drive. Anyone else have anything else to say about this topic? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot! :D

stainbuster
07-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Hey 94Accord,

Bra? Tape? Nah, just enjoy the ride.

I`m on the other coast, BTW, (Ft Myers) Do you go up the turnpike or 95? Used to live over in Merritt Island. Anyway, back on topic...

How long ago was your car painted?

Have you spoken with the body shop that did the paint? What is their recommendation about your road trip? Follow their recommendation, especially if their work is warranteed. For instance, if they tell you not to put a bra on the car for __ weeks or months, and you do, then have problems,.... see where I`m going?

PS - you know about these S. Fla rains. After 2pm, 5 days a week at least, you can bet yer arse it`s gonna rain. Tape would just fall right off.

Good luck and drive safe

trueblueblood
07-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Stainbuster is on the same thinking as I was a bra or tape may affect the paint curing, I know its only for a short time but like stainbuster said I`d check with your body shop! But with the blue painters tape you could make some sweet racing stripes and do it all the way around to make it a two tone body kit:D :p j/K! Watch out pimp on board:D !

thegeek
07-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Alright, I`m going to take your guys` advice (You`re Autopians, who wouldn`t?!). My plan now for the drive up is just a few things. I talked to my bodyshop and the recommended not taping the front bumper until after 20-30 days. This is all I`m going to do. Thanks again everybody.

* Tape the bottom part of the hood.

* Tape the front upper grill and

* Use the bug screen thing. (It`s not a bra, just like a screen that covers the front.)

Enjoy the ride and listen to my music:). Thanks again.

thegeek
07-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Quick update, just finished the following:

Taped the side mirrors.

Taped above both headlights.

Taped right above the grill.

Put on the bug screen.

All ready for tomorrow:).