PDA

View Full Version : What`s So Great About Vanilla Moose?

Dalight
06-30-2004, 09:25 AM
From my searches, I`ve seen that a lot of people are using it and swear by it.

However, by the site`s reviews, it seems to be merely an average product. It doesn`t seem to be a good polish and it`s not quite a wax.

What is everyone using it for? Why do people like it so much?

Scottwax
06-30-2004, 09:33 AM
I don`t go by the site reviews for the most part, some of them seem real biased at times (both positively and negatively). I prefer the more `real world` forum comments because then you get a truer sense of how a product works in the long run. If a lot of people are using a product and talking about it on the boards, then it tends to be something pretty good. Not that the review section is worthless or anything but sometimes it seems that those with an agenda-good or bad-tend to use the review section to leave a more permanent comment.

Vanilla Moose is a very easy to use final glaze that does have some protectant qualities. You can use it by hand or machine with excellent results, wipes off with little to no effort and leaves behind a clear wet finish that most waxes and sealants will work well over (probably Zaino or Klasse SG won`t bond well to VMs oils though). You can use it on the glass and hard plastic trim too. Very versitile product.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Non staining, sun or moon, the stuff works well......And as Scott said, works well with just about anything ive used, Blackfire, Wolfgang, Platinum, EX, and stunning on new surfaces with MW.....I actually think it workls better with the other products, than with MW due to MW`s cleaning ability....

Scottwax
06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Patrick-VM works very well with the carnauba version of Moose Wax (Carnauba Moose). I use the regular Moose Wax for wheels, door jams and tar removal.

maecrispy
06-30-2004, 11:36 AM
In addition to everything Scott and Patrick said, I`ll add that it works decently for cleaning chrome as well. Just recently, I wanted to clean my TL`s chrome tips and I didn`t have any metal polish so I decided to give VM a shot and it worked amazing well.

Now if it only came in gallon sizes....

Dalight
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
So, if I`m doing a full sealant job (polish then seal), would I put Vanilla Moose on after the polish and before the sealant?

If I`m just adding a coat of sealant, with no polish, can I still use VM?

maecrispy
06-30-2004, 12:20 PM
You would put VM just under your sealant. It won`t remove swirls (although it will hide/fill minor ones.) Remove your swirls with whataver abrasive polish you want. Then, VM will clean the surface and make it glossy and wet looking. Seal in the look with your sealant.

raymond_ho2002
06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
These are the other VM substitute products that i have:

Meguiar`s #81

P21S GEPC

Klasse AIO

Wolfgang Prewax polish

In my experience with these products, including VM, Vanilla Moose provides by far the most effective swirl-hiding capabilities, and it even has some protective capabilities. For my black lexus is300, i`ve began using VM exclusively and haven`t topped with wax because in my experience the wax (i used s100) will remove some of the filling. It is also the easiest product to use out of my arsenal, and leaves behind the least amount of hazing/streaking.

I know a lot of people look down upon fillers and liken it to cheating, but it sure makes life with black cars much more tolerable. I mean, what difference does it make if it is so difficult to distinguish between pure swirl-free paint and paint that`s covered up? The only reason why I can see a need to remove them is because of possible (and as far as I can see, unproven) incompatibilities with sealants. In this case, one has to decide what is more important to them; aesthetics or durable paint protection. Of course, one can have both by completely removing swirls every time they appear at the cost of increased labor to remove them and at the cost of paint thickness. The filling that VM does for me reduces the need for more aggressive paint-removing polishing; the last time i had to PC the car was about a year ago, and that was only 3M SMR with a yellow pad, which removes very little paint. I find that the filling diminishes after 3-4 washes (which is 3 - 4 weeks for me), which is about how long it takes for me to want to wax again anyway.

I have yet to try VM on trim and glass as others have mentioned

Aside from my PC-polishing products (finesse it, SMR, pads, etc), if I had to stick with only one product, VM is it.

I really do wonder why it got such negative reviews .. After writing all this, I think i`ll submit a copy of this.

maecrispy
06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

I know a lot of people look down upon fillers and liken it to cheating, but it sure makes life with black cars much more tolerable. I mean, what difference does it make if it is so difficult to distinguish between pure swirl-free paint and paint that`s covered up?

Although I`m in the camp who likes to remove defects rather than cover them up, I have to agree with you for daily drivers. IMHO, you have to be a little more aware of preserving as much of your clear/paint as possible with daily drivers. Filling is a great way to get the look you want while being a little gentler on your paint.

In that respect, VM`s one of the best, IMHO.

Dalight
07-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Currently, I have WG Polish and Sealant on my car. If I want to put on VM, should I reapply the polish first, or can I just do VM then the sealant?

6cyl's_of_fury
07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
VM then sealant :xyxthumbs

tpgsr
07-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Just try it on the glass and you will be sold. It also makes chrome tim and wheels glisten!!!!

ANB
07-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Will VM remove NXT if I use it with a polishing pad?