PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this glass polishing?

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
06-30-2004, 12:52 AM
http://www.properautocare.com/polishglass.htm

Does it work?

l

SVR
06-30-2004, 05:15 AM
It`s been talked about before, some machine buff at a low speed with all kinds of products

Certainly I will not be using a machine on glass. I normally remove scratched with AUTOSOL or Blue Magic Chrome and Metal polish, polish with a cream polish and that`s it. A heavy cutting compound with a machine buffer might work

foxtrapper
06-30-2004, 06:08 AM
I have not used it, based on discussions on another board where many had. At best, it`s a very hard job to do. The scratch removal is minimal, and compromised by the etched in swirling that often resulted.

togwt
06-30-2004, 08:14 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Try this it works really well

·Apply a quarter size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish™ (See note 1) to a damp foam pad attached to a Porter-Cable random orbital buffer, a white Velcro backed foam pad using speed # 4.

·Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side

·Wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

·Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.

Note

1.For deeply etched ‘water spots’ or pits (caused by sand or road stones) in the glass surface, do not attempt to polish them out, consult an automotive glass vendor as glass used on later model cars is soft and thin (this may vary by manufacturer) due to weight / cost savings by vehicle manufactures and polishing could cause glass to crack.

2.Some windshields and mirrors have a tinted plastic coating or a blue tint that will scratch or be damaged, only polish or use synthetic wool on uncoated glass.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
06-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks TOGWT

chris0626
07-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Hey, I`m a believer in occasional glass polishing! :up I do it, maybe 2-3 times a year. The link you posted (to an Autoglym kit with 4" pads) does not claim to remove any scratches, and I have not found Z`s glass polish to remove scratches. I use a regimen similar to the one on that webpage, but first I clay the glass, then I use my PC with a 6" pad and Zaino glass polish. The improvement in shine and slickness is perceptible.

imported_CARFREAK
07-01-2004, 05:53 AM
I do it and reckon it works very well.I use a 7424 with a yellow concave pad and 1Z Glass Polish.It removes all the crud that sprays won`t.Cleaning is a lot easier after it.