PDA

View Full Version : Best Rotary??

freedre
06-29-2004, 10:02 PM
I asked this question over on DC - I`m just trying to cover all the bases so don`t shoot me.

I have decided to take the plunge and buy a rotary. There seems to be a lot to choose from, but like everything else, I am sure that there are some preferred packages. I think I would like a machine that has a `dial in ` speed setting as opposed to the variable trigger speed control.

What do you `pro`s` like as far as makes and models go?

Bill D
06-29-2004, 10:09 PM
FWIW I got the Dewalt due to rps on the dial and metal bearings, con is that this makes it heavier than others.

hondaguy2582
06-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Makita 9227. Light, and easy to use(just dont sit in one spot when your at high rpms). The makita also starts off at 900 rpms, which makes it safe.

ncal
06-29-2004, 11:20 PM
I think when it comes to the question between the PorterCable, Makita, or Dewalt its more of a question of preference than being `better`. The Makita offers a different handle and is light for instance. Some may prefer the traditional handle of the PC or DW and opt for those instead. So I think its a question of what features/design you want, company you prefer, and price.

cmk-2
06-29-2004, 11:22 PM
hi there guys i use a hitachi sp18v has a varible speed settings going from 1400-3400/min and weighs in at 3kg.been using it for the last couple of years no problem .except when i did the 7.5tonne horse box that week was a nightmare up and down the ladder with it my shoulders did not feel the same for the next couple of weeks .but the finish i can not fault .but doing cars with it no problems very easy to use and the adjustable speed settings is of great use and it has a soft finish on switch off and load bearing switch off if you apply to much pressure.

hondaguy2582
06-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ncal

I think when it comes to the question between the PorterCable, Makita, or Dewalt its more of a question of preference than being `better`. The Makita offers a different handle and is light for instance. Some may prefer the traditional handle of the PC or DW and opt for those instead. So I think its a question of what features/design you want, company you prefer, and price.

You can get a diff handle for the makita if needed. In all honestly, what do you need to know the speed by looking at the knob? it tells you on the chart at what speed #3 is at.

jimmybuffit
06-30-2004, 05:56 AM
Look at the Fein (coastaltool.com)

Rather expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

IMO it is the best among many fine contenders.

Jim

freedre
06-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by hondaguy2582

You can get a diff handle for the makita if needed. In all honestly, what do you need to know the speed by looking at the knob? it tells you on the chart at what speed #3 is at.

Thanks Hondaguy. (I`m a Honda guy too - best thing on the road IMHO)

What I meant about the speed knob was that I want to be able to dial in the speed, as opposed to controlling it with the trigger (like a variable speed drill). I agree, I can deal with the `numbered settings` (1,2, 3, etc), but I am leery about keeping a steady speed using the trigger.

Also, I have read that the `bale` type handle is preferable to the side mount.

Deanski
06-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Best thing you can do is first go to your local Home Depot/Lowes or whatever hardware chain. Go to the tool isle and pick-up each one you are thinking on purchasing. Feel the way it balances, handel placement, weight, ability to control speed etc.

I currently have for my RO-ZILLA a Makita 9227C. I like the balance and handle. The handel is a C type and I can get into tight spots with it and balance it better. Variable speed on trigger so you start nice and slow. Corrective speed on loading. What else... Oh, did I tell you it`s a Makita?

I still have my old Makita from WAY WAY back, but like the new one better.

Honestly, go and pick up the ones you are looking into purchasing. You have to hold it while ddoing an entire car let`s say, so weight/balance IS important.

Regards,

Deanski

Bill D
06-30-2004, 08:58 AM
He he he, ideally I`d have them all, each sitting on it`s own shelf in the garage with it`s own spot light shining on it :D

JHowell1976
06-30-2004, 01:36 PM
If you want a decent polisher and don`t want to spend a lot of cash, try the Vector circular polisher. You can pick them up at Auto Zone for about 50$. I`ve had one for about months and have been pleased so far. The main reason for its low price is that it`s made in china. I`ve seen them in the Harbor Freight catalog for as low as 30$. It marketed under a different name but it`s the same polisher. What ever you decide on, don`t cut corners on pads and backing plates.

Bill D
06-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Just ordered some more LC flexible backing plates:up

imported_Greg
06-30-2004, 05:30 PM
I opted for the DeWalt for the build quality. I work out enough that the size and weight of it wasn`t a factor for me. I really like it!