PDA

View Full Version : Hiring an employee?

shaggeboxer
06-29-2004, 09:12 PM
I`ve been running my own business for about 3 years now, starting when i was 15. Originally I ran it with a friend of mine that lives across the street, we split it 50/50, even though I managed all the finances, marketing, baisically managed the whole operation. This year he`s too busy so I`m doing it on my own. Depending on the condition of the car, it takes me on average about 5 hours. I already know I`m charging to little (heres a list of my services)

Exterior:----------------------------Interior:

-Hand wash-----------------------Vacuum

-Tires cleaned/glossed----------Hoover SteamVac rug cleaning

-Polished---------------------------Windows

-Waxed----------------------------Dash cleaned/dressed

-Sealed----------------------------Leather shampoo/conditioning

-Windows-------------------------Door wells cleaned

-Optional engine detailing-----Everything cleaned pretty much...whatever methods i have to use, i clean it.

And I do a damn fine job. Not a speck left in each car. I charge 80 bucks for essentially a full day detail. I come to them, or they drop it off. I even do pick ups.

I`m getting overwhelmed with all the business nowadays and I`m thinking about hiring someone else. I`m worried, however, that if I do, I won`t know what to charge, or because my attractive price is so low, I won`t be making any money. Should I raise my price and not hire someone else? Should I hire someone else, and how should I go about employing them? Do neither? As you can see I`m at a loss. What do you all think

cap-e-tan
06-29-2004, 09:48 PM
i charge about 75 (for a car in decent shape) takes about 3 hours

a car in very dirty( pet hair or stained interior)

exterior needs to be washed like twice once with dish soap,stained paint, dull finish,exterior needs serious cleaning with clay bar, paint cleaners, rubbing coumpounds, 2 coats of wax and sealant. i would charge like 150 to 200.......this would be like 5 to 7 hours of work

plus engine another 50 bucks

this would be for a car

SUV or big van maybe 250 plus 50 for engine cleaning

i kinda do what you do and this is what i charge

hope this helps

imported_Intel486
06-29-2004, 09:53 PM
That`s your call...

You may have to raise your prices some but might be able to handle more cars so you`ll come out with more in the end.

I just tried detailing w/ a someone and I didn`t like it at all... Took longer, he went slower and didn`t do as good of a job, didn`t work to fast, etc. Plus, now I`m responsible for his work. If he doesn`t do a good job, then it reflect on my business... I think I`m going to stay by myself for now. Makes doing my finances easier and I don`t have to give up any money to someone at the end of the day either. It`s mine... all mine...

CrispyCritter
06-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Up to you whether or not you want to hire someone else or not, but you definitely need to raise your prices. My brother and I started a detailing business a couple months ago and we are charging 150 for our "Premium" detail and 195 for our "Signature" Detail.

The Premium Detail is pretty standard: Wash, Wax, Clean and dress the interior, including leather, steam clean carpets, clean the windows, quick engine detail (spray with simple green, hose off, wipe down), clean and wax door jambs, clean tires, wheels, and wheel wells, dress tires, polish with a PC.

For the signature we do all of the above, plus we apply a sealant and clay the entire vehicle.

BTW we also charge 30% extra for trucks, vans, and SUVs. So far most people seem to think our prices are pretty reasonable; I have had a few customers ask for breaks with the 30% extra, but I figured this was OK if they were getting multiple vehicles detailed.

So, like cap-e-tan said, about 150-200 for a full day of work is reasonable.

As to your original question: do you want to?

Seriously, if you can do a full detail by yourself and do a damn fine job in around 5 hours, you probably don`t need to. That said, if you can hire an employee or two to work part time and be able to do two details a day rather than one, it may be well worth your while.

My suggestion for hiring is to find someone you know personally whom you think would do a good job. They don`t necessarily have to have experience detailing, but they do have to have a good attitude, be willing to work, and be willing to listen. The last thing you want is to hire some one and have them screw around, and then give you crap when you tell them to stop screwing around.

As for HOW you employ the people, it sort of depends how legal you want to be. If you`re just employing people you know personally, and you`re only employing 1 or 2 people, just giving them cash may be acceptable. If, on the other hand, you were going to advertise for employees in the newspaper and possibly hire several people, you might want to consider giving them a

W-2 and withholding taxes from their income. As to EXACTLY how to do this, I can`t tell you because we`re not quite at that point yet, but if you want more info you can probably find it online. I would suggest checking out the Department of Assessments and Taxation at www.dat.state.md.us/ Note that it`s only md if you live in MD; if you like in NY then it would be www.dat.state.ny.us/

As for the person you hire taking money from you, let`s do some math real quick. Let`s say you charge $150 for a regular detail, and this takes you an average of 5 hours per vehicle. Now let`s say you hire an employee and pay them $8 an hour to work with you. With the two of you, it now takes you roughly 3 hours per vehicle. I say 3 hours because even with another person you`re still not likely to be getting things done twice as fast, especially if that person doesn`t have much experience.

OK, so one job a day at 150 with just you = $150 that you take home at the end of the day. With an employee, let`s say you work 6 hours, plus you pay him for the time you spend driving to and from locations, so say ~7 hours. Seven hours X $8/hour = $56. Two jobs at $150 each minus $56 = $244 a day. Even if you were to pay the person $10 an hour you`d still be making ~$230 a day using these assumptions. Of course, you COULD do two jobs a day without an employee and make $300, but that`s 10 hours a day spent detailing (on average) plus driving time, and you still have to find time to buy supplies, clean supplies, and advertise your business.

So to sum things up, if you want to make the most money you can from this business (which I assume you do; I know I`m in business to make money), hiring employees is probably going to be your best bet. As long as you only hire a couple people (only people you know), you probably won`t get into any trouble. Of course, if you want to do everything legally you can, but you may find that it can be kind of a pain. Hope that helps.

07-01-2004, 10:25 AM
I vote for staying single...charge more...but maybe I`m just a loner...

togwt
07-01-2004, 11:20 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

$80 (inc OH and detailing supplies) for an 8- hour day, plus you pick up and/or drop off clients

The detailing steps you listed I charge $250-300 for and I only do this PT

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Jesstzn
07-02-2004, 10:11 AM
I do the following;

1) wash

2) clay

3) DACP rough spots

4) SFP or Menzerna or #80 as required

5) wax or sealant

6) vac and spot touch up carpet

7) Windows

8) dash / doors / interior etc

9) trunk

10) wheels / tires / wheel wells

11) rubber trim ( AIO) and B2B

12) clean / treat leather

$100 to $150 depending on wax or sealant + 25% for trucks / SUV

I think the only time I would hire is a kid to do the Polish off and maybe some exterior trim .. but only if I had 2 cars on same day.

Otherwise the results end up the same as the detailer across town with the $6 kids. I don`t have time to babysite a helper. A lot of his upper end cars are coming to me because of the poor quality.

GoodnClean
07-02-2004, 01:43 PM
I definately agree, raise your prices. I charge $175 for that service for an average car, $190 for a big car, $220 for an SUV, van or P/U. You MAY find that your volume drops off a little when you raise your prices but you`ll be working with higher end cars in better condition and with people that are more likely to be your return customers down the line.

I also prefer to work alone. I find detailing very relaxing and with someone else there its...not. Plus at your current pricing I don`t see how you can afford to hire anyone...

albailey
07-02-2004, 07:04 PM
look into small business classes at the local community college, contact the URL=http://www.sba.gov]SBA[/URL] , as well as any other resources for small business owners which may be available in your area. hiring an employee on the up-n-up is a big step, and hiring an employee `under the table` could go wrong in any number of ways - consider he/she gets hurt - worker`s Comp...?

definitely start by raising your rates - what are other detailers in your area getting for comparable work?

good luck - al.

jaybs02
07-03-2004, 07:34 AM
shaggeboxer, you don`t list where you`re from.

I live on long Island, NY.

People here would KILL to get a price like yours for what you do.

But price all depends on how much the locals can afford to pay.

For Example detail a 2001 Ford Taurus in Farmingdale, NY (Middle income) for approx.$140 Do the same car in Upperbrookville,Ny (High income) for approx. $200

Like Al said, see what your competition charges for the same work, and price yourself accordinglly.

Good Luck

"J"