PDA

View Full Version : Please help with kind of a dumb question

Pages : [1] 2

loco
06-29-2004, 08:57 PM
I`ve noticed that some products, such as 3M`s SMR, specify they are for use on "light colored" or "dark colored" cars. Well, I`m not sure whether a blue RX-8 is considered light or dark colored. I`d call it "medium colored" but that`s not a choice. :nixweiss

So, can someone tell me which product would be best for this color? And would that apply to all products that specify for dark vs. light colors? Thanks!

stilez
06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Stay away from 3M SMR, it`s pretty much all fillers.

For me, I like Meguiar`s products for paint corrections. #80 Speed Glaze is my new fav product. Run a search for it, it`s a solid all around product. Cuts hard at first, then breaks down quickly and polishes to a brilliant shine. :)

BTW: Love your car !

loco
06-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Thank you, GSRstilez. You got a pretty hot car yourself!

bunker
06-29-2004, 10:38 PM
loco,

No dumb questions here (unless you don`t use the search option first) What GSRstilez said, The reason 3M SMR is color specific, is the color of the fillers it contains. Try to REMOVE as many swirl marks as you can, not just fill them in. You`ll be much happier in the long run.

I too, like Meguairs DACP.

andriver
06-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Great advice so far. Also consider Menzerna IP & FP. They do not contain any fillers. My personal favorites are Einszett Paint Polish and Metallic Polish.

shaf
06-30-2004, 03:23 AM
I wouldn`t call SMR "all fillers"... it`s just really mild and a product roughly equivalent to Meguiar`s #9 AFAIK... Yes the fillers are coloured, but that doesn`t mean is has more fillers than other swirl removers. On the other hand, swirl removers seem to be becoming less popular these days. Possibly because the amount of damage people need to fix the first time around exceeds what they`re capable of removing (in a reasonable amount of time).

loco
06-30-2004, 06:29 AM
OK, guys. Thank you for the advice. It is appreciated. I will stay away from the SMR. I`ve been curious about the 1Z and DACP products anyway.

Just for my edification, though - is that color considered a dark or light color? For example, some waxes like Souveran, say they are best on dark colored cars. So, I`m just wondering how Souveran would look on that color, and how it does on metallics.

Because of the great reviews on this forum, I have some S100 on the way and am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

stilez
06-30-2004, 06:36 AM
loco:

I think your car has a metallic flake in it? Either way, you will not be disappointed with S100. Teh new hotness around here is VM/EX-P. Proves to give a clear, wet, and reflective finish. Top that with S100 and you`ve got a winner!

Gonzo
06-30-2004, 06:53 AM
Don`t forget the Klasse twins + UPP. and if you want a wax topper, Souveran

loco
06-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Yes, there`s metallic flake in the paint. I`m glad I ordered the S100. Can`t wait to try it! Probably next week. I may splurge one day and get Souveran if there`s ever a big discount.

imported_Macgirl
06-30-2004, 07:39 AM
I have to chime in to support my favorite 1Z. Looks like your car is new so you shouldn`t have too much work to do, right? Try the Paint Polish or the Metallic PolishWax to make that metallic flake POP, very easy to use if you are working by hand. Follow with your LSP of choice, I like 1Z Glanz Wax, and enjoy. Bonus tip: get some 1Z Lackfinish Detail Spray (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+ufAdJU+1z-981305.html+) and keep your car slick and shiny, another great 1Z product.

Good luck and have fun! :cool:

loco
06-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks Macgirl. I think I`m sold on the 1Z Metallic Polish.

Here is the process I plan to use next week:

Wash

Clay

1Z MP (may wait until next detail for this since car is still so new)

Klasse AIO x 2

Z5 x 2

Z2 x 2

S100

If anyone notices a problem with this process or the order, please let me know. This is how I plan to spend a good part of my vacation next week. I never thought I`d say that a year ago. :)

imported_Macgirl
06-30-2004, 11:31 AM
I don`t think your Zaino will bond to the AIO.

You may just want to go:

Wash

Clay

1Z MP

Alcohol/Water wipe down

Z5

Z2

S100

bjwebster
06-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Macgirl

I don`t think your Zaino will bond to the AIO.

You may just want to go:

Wash

Clay

1Z MP

Alcohol/Water wipe down

Z5

Z2

S100

In my experimentation, aio works nicely as a base for Zaino. I know others have had success as well using it as a base.

loco
06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Thank you. I was concerned about the Zaino bonding to the AIO, but after a search and some reassurance from some Autopians who`ve tried it, I don`t look for it to be a problem.

My main concern is whether there is a need to use any other product after the 1Z MP to remove any hazing or marring that it would cause. As I think I understand it, the MP is gentle enough that it does not cause hazing on the paint. Is this correct?

Thank you, Macgirl, and everyone else for your patience with this newbie. I`m learning so much on this forum!