PDA

View Full Version : Need help on decision of final polish, sealent and wax

mnbv
06-28-2004, 10:34 PM
You may have read my Car care products and applyers (long) thread, I got the applyers part taken care of (on order) but I am stuck on what final polish, sealent and wax to use. I am also missing a clay bar (eather mothers or clay magic) that I think I can find at a local store. I got #82 SFP and Eagle One Wet car wash. I need to get a polish, sealent and a wax. Currently I am consitering S100 SECP, Poorboy`s EX-P and S100 wax. My car is medium red, from a few steps back it looks good even with just a wash of eagle one. There are swirls and a few fine scraches here and there. If the #82 doesn`t cut it, I will use #83 to follow up next time around. Here is what I want out of them.

POLISH:

-I want a polish that is not too harsh, but brings out a nice shine in the paint.

-It can have cleaners in it, but more focused on shine and protection.

-Easy on and off is important as this is my 1st time detailing the exterior of a car--but don`t sacrifice quality.

WAX:

-For wax, I would not mind it being a carnuba, 2-3 weeks is long lasting enough for me.

-I would like a carnuba that does not make the paint dark like #27 yellow,

-something that is reflective, deep, makes for lively color, all the good things about a quality carnuba.

-Again, easy on and off is a good thing, but not paramount.

SEALENT:

-good protection and deepness etc. much like the wax.

Another FYI, I have access to some unknown (right now) buffer my uncle got for Fathers day, I may try it out my second polish/wax etc, but everything is by hand for now.

edit: I would also like to add that I would not like to darken the paint at all or as little as possible. I have seen before/after pictures of red cars that get much darker looking paint, I enjoy a brighter red. :)

shaf
06-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Well not to mince terms here, but I consider the #82 and #83 you have already to be the "polishes" you are asking about. After you use those the paint should already look fantastic. Try 82 first (on a patch, not the whole car!), then 83 if that doesn`t work, and then re-evaluate to see if you want to back down to 82 again.

I think what you are asking about is a "glaze" or "cleanser" product to give the paint an even better appearance - the final, final polish? If that`s the case, then something like SEPC is ideal, or you could choose a non-abrasive glaze like #7 (or several others).

If you plan on using a glaze, a sealant, and a carnauba wax, make sure you do it according to how people have suggested and actually used it. I personally don`t like the idea of attempting to apply sealants over glazes, but some people say some products work this way, so that`s fine. Just make sure that you try to perfect the finish (or nearly perfect it) before you proceed with those last 3 steps so that you don`t rely on them to cover up any lingering problem.

mnbv
06-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Well, I have already bought the #82. Do I have the wrong process? What I have seen, this is how people apply stuff (in that order)

shaf
06-29-2004, 03:15 AM
I would get #83 too just in case you need it. It`s a good product to have in combination with #82 anyway.

Nothing wrong from what I can see... #82/#83 ---> SEPC/glaze ---> sealant ---> wax. That`s what you have planned, right?

mnbv
06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
I was thinking, how about: wash, clay magic or mothers, wash again, #82 first, run to red rooster for #83 if it is not enough, S100 SECP, S100 wax, then seal with EX-P, then another coat of S100 to top off. I have another question also, I waxed a 87 honda to get some practice, there was a ton of cracks that had wax stuck in them. I ordered a 1in(around) detialing brush from autopia, could I use this to get the wax out of emblems/crevices? How do you guys do that?

I already bought the #82, but I could return it. The nice thing about what I am planing on buying is that the only thing I need to get online is the EX-P. I would really like some more opinions on these products I am consitering, remember I am doing this all by hand. :) (for now)

i will be getting before pictures up by late thursday. I`ll show you guys the swirls, light scrachs etc.

mnbv
06-29-2004, 10:54 PM
I know you guys have suggestions. What about AIO or Klasse SG over EX-P? etc etc.

I think I may be doing too much polishing, I do have swirls that are fairly bad though with close inspection. Will I have to use #82 and 83 every time the wax starts to fade? (not that it is a chore by any means) After clay bar (that I just bought today, Clay Magic) what would be an alternative to applying 83 and then 82?

imported_perry
06-30-2004, 01:59 AM
Heh, you`re going nuts like I do! I think you`ll be happy with SEPC - EX-P - S100 wax.

One of the "features" of AIO is that it is a cleaner and will remove whatever is already there. It`s used as a base for SG. AIO/SG would be an alternative to SEPC/EX-P/S100 wax. You can top SG with S100 wax if you`d like.

50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water will remove the wax so you don`t have to polish each time you want to apply another coat.

After the clay bar, if you have swirls you really should use an abrasive polish to get them out. 82 and/or 83 are fine, especially since you can get them locally.

shaf
06-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by mnbv

I think I may be doing too much polishing, I do have swirls that are fairly bad though with close inspection. Will I have to use #82 and 83 every time the wax starts to fade? (not that it is a chore by any means) After clay bar (that I just bought today, Clay Magic) what would be an alternative to applying 83 and then 82? No, and no.

After you`ve gotten the car swirl-free with #82/#83, they shouldn`t really come back unless you care for the paint incorrectly and make new swirls. Yes, they`ll come back eventually, but that`s life.

Claying is a totally separate and unrelated process from polishing.... :confused: It sounds like you may wish to brush up with a few detailing articles before proceeding if you are wondering about this....

Also, unless people are actually suggesting S100, EX-P, S100, as far as I know you can`t use such products this way. Such combos usually go Sealant-->Wax only.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Also, unless people are actually suggesting S100, EX-P, S100, as far as I know you can`t use such products this way. Such combos usually go Sealant-->Wax only.

Well many here use VM under the EX-P, I cant see that using GEPC under it would cause a stir.....:nixweiss

ReflectiveDtail
06-30-2004, 09:51 AM
I would take care of the swirls with DACP #83 then SFP #82.

I would then use VM for the glaze/polish, then follow up with CMW or EX, your choice between the two.

Try to use a PC when using #83 and #82 to really work the product and to diminish the abrasives. You can use VM, CMW and EX by hand. The finished automobile will look incredible with this combo.

Erik

p.s. claying before #83 will also greatly improve the "slickness" feeling of the paint. Guaranteed!!

mnbv
06-30-2004, 03:20 PM
It is my understanding that I: wash, clay, wash, #83, 82, S100 SECP, EX-P, S100 wax. or I could, S100 SECP (after #82) then ?S100 wax, then seal then top with S100 wax again.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-30-2004, 09:35 PM
SECP then seal then wax. I wouldnt recommend sealing in a coat of S100 with EX-P.

mnbv
06-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Well, I took pictures tonight with my friend`s camera, most of them turned out crappy because it is at night. I am going to his house to take some more at about 1 pm tomorow andf post em up. I will try to show any and all imperfections. I don`t have a "usb" cable to put the ones I got up right now. The car is filthy right now, I am waiting to get my wash mitt from autopia to clean it properly. (june 2)

6cyl`s_of_fury :

I wouldnt recommend sealing in a coat of S100 with EX-P.

Good to know. :xyxthumbs

I`ll see what you guys think with the pictures (I`ll have alot) as to what I should get. Now to go read some reviews!

mnbv
07-01-2004, 01:57 PM
I am really busty today, painting basement and got to work. Shouldent even be posting this. I`ll post pics tommorw most likely. I may be able to get a wash in before the pictures by then also.