PDA

View Full Version : Tar, bugs, and sap removers and effects on sealants

breakneckvtec
06-28-2004, 06:12 PM
I was just curious if a product such as Tarminator will effect my sealant longevity? I have found almost totally necessary to use a bug, sap and tar remover on a white car almost everytime I wash.

Labster
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
You should be careful when using solvent products on your finish because they will go down to the clearcoat if you aren`t careful. Try and keep washing the area as you use the tar remover to help avoid doing any damage.

jrToyota
06-28-2004, 11:02 PM
I don`t know about the effect of the cleaners, but I have had good results with a MF towel, wash water, and some elbow grease.

togwt
06-29-2004, 10:38 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Bug Residue:

Dried bug remains are acidic and can etch paint or glass surfaces, and should be removed as soon as possible with an insect pre-cleaner or Isopropyl Alcohol. To remove the residue use a mesh-covered insect sponge (Autopia Soft Scrub Insect Sponge) pre-soak heavy bug contamination with Insect Cleaner (Einzett

Anti-Insekt + Pre-Cleaner (www.lexuscarcare.com), Concentrated for effortless and protective removal of insects and midges from paintwork, chrome, glass, rubber and plastic. Removes dead insects with its unique solvent properties. Use as a spot treatment before washing, rinse your car thoroughly and spray on areas that require treatment. Allow the cleaner to work for up to three minutes, then agitate with your wash mitt and wash shampoo, re-apply paint protection once residue has been removed.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Accumulator
06-29-2004, 10:58 AM
It`s that need to "re-apply paint protection" that, uhm, bugs me. That`s why I almost always just clay them off while I wash. No need to redo the LSP as long as you`re gentle about it.