PDA

View Full Version : OEM Chrome wheels

cpa4u
06-28-2004, 06:12 PM
I am looking to purchase a 2004 Maxima SE and considering getting the factory chrome wheels. I have never had chrome wheels and am wondering how hard they are to maintain. What products would I need? I use A2Z on my alloy Infiniti wheels now. Would that be ok for the chrome? Also, I live where we get a few snows each year. There is salt put on the roads to help melt the snow. I`ve heard that the salt can be very bad to chrome wheels. Is this true of factory wheels too?

Thanks!!

imported_memnuts
06-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Chrome is very easy to maintain if you constantly maintain them. A good chrome can be cleaned with the same car shampoo you use for your paint. Coat with some form of protectant, sealants seem to work best in terms of durability.

Winters. Check into the price for some winter rims. A bi-yearly change-over should not cost more than $60-$70 each time and well worth it. Salt can be a problem but the unmelted salt and sand when constantly striking the rims can do havoc in terms of chips produced by high velocity impacts. When that happens - game-over.

Congrats on the new car. :wavey

imported_memnuts
07-03-2004, 06:27 AM
cpa4u,

What was your decision??? :wavey

cpa4u
07-03-2004, 11:24 AM
blk,

I am still trying to come to an "understanding" with the dealer :) Hopefully, we can get there soon.

imported_memnuts
07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Be strong and stand your ground. Most likely he/she needs to sell the car more than you , at least make them think so, need it. :xyxthumbs

Matt M, PA
07-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Chrome is actaully a fairly sturdy finish. My friends with the mag wheel shop have alway said that in the long run..chrome is the most "sturdy".

That said, I have clearcoated wells on my `94 Bronco that still look very good. Alot of it has to do with how you care for them.

On my Cobra`s chromies, I wash them when I wash the car with the same soap...reaching between the spokes to also clean the insides. Each tiem I wax the body, I use the same Zaino on the wheels. If they need some attention, I use a non-abrasive chrome polish to work out the problem.