PDA

View Full Version : My LC pads are ripping around the velcro.

Pages : [1] 2

04BlackAV
06-28-2004, 10:43 AM
My LC orange and white pads are all ripping and cracking all around the velcro backing.Is this normal for these pads that have been used 3 or 4 times.The white pads are now spewing foam all over the place.

Yet my Meguiars pads aren`t doing this and are holding up well.

ACURA95
06-28-2004, 11:00 AM
What size backing plate are you using? Is it flexible or a standard backing plate? Is the ring right where the backing plate ends?

Ive read in some posts if you go around alot of curves, the LC pads get cut from unequal pressure.

How much presure are you applying when using the pads?

By the way, How long have you been using the meguiars pads?

04BlackAV
06-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I`ve had and used the Meg. pads a little longer and they see the same use as my LC pads.They`re 6.5" on a 5" flex plate.They aren`t holding up to the higher speed of 5 to 6 on the PC as well as the Meguiars.

Bill D
06-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, happening to my orange pad, but I haven`t been using the 5" plate. The jiggling action may indeed simply be pulling them apart :(

freedre
06-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi `04

Darned if I am not having the same problem. I returned two white pads to the vendor, he provided replacements, quickly and at no cost to me, but yesterday when I was doing an Exploder, the same thing started happening with my orange LC pad. It only seems to happen at a speed of 6 on my PC, but it is driving me nuts.

I was working on one of the rear doors that was `well scratched`. I had been on it about 5 minutes when I could see the pad starting to rip. I wasn`t using excessive pressure, nor was I moving quickly. (I was using SSR3, if this makes any difference).

If anyone from Lake Country is reading, I sure would like some guidance; I don`t think that using it at a speed of 6 should be shredding these things - that`s the speed you need sometimes for stubborn scratches.

Like you, this was only the second vehicle that I had used the pad on.

I hate to say it, but this is getting too expensive and time wasting (a week for a replacement pad) for me to continue with LC.

Glad to hear I`m not the only one having problems with this pad.

PakShak
06-28-2004, 11:38 AM
LC manufactures pads for Meguiars via private label and also others.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

freedre
06-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by PakShak

With Aloha,

Thanks Ranney

Rats.

I don`t like the sounds of this. Take out Megs and LC and the market is getting kind of thin. So far the new Edge is a bit pricey, but if they will get me through more than two cars, it might be money well spent.

This is really depressing.

Bill D
06-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by PakShak

With Aloha,

Really?? Are the flat Meguiars pads just dyed different colors ( i.e. a maroon Megs cutting pad is really just a dyed yellow flat LC pad)and are really just flat LC pads?

PakShak
06-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Yes, I got the word from a previous Meguiar`s Dealer/Distributor. There are subtle differences but ultimately LC manufactures their pads.

edit...

:nixweiss ...

Maybe LC manufactured them back when this individual was a Dealer/Distributor but who knows now.

With Aloha,

04BlackAV
06-28-2004, 11:50 AM
There seems to be a big difference in material though between the Meg. and LC polishing pads.

ACURA95
06-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Are you sure about that Ranney? Ive been debating for a week which pads to purchase and I finally decided on the LC pads from CMA because they are the most resonable but now Im having my doubts. Im only detailing my car and my families, but I dont want to have to reorder pads every two months.

I have enough headaches with little mechanical problems with my car lately. I dont want to have to deal with the aggrevation of returning pads.

When I first started reading this forum, everyone seemed to love the LC pads, but lately Im hearing lots of complaints about them and have been hearing better things about the meguiars pads.

Has anyone tried the new sonus pads yet?

freedre
06-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ACURA95

Are you sure about that Ranney? Ive been debating for a week which pads to purchase and I finally decided on the LC pads from CMA because they are the most resonable but now Im having my doubts. Im only detailing my car and my families, but I dont want to have to reorder pads every two months.

Right nowI`d kill to get two months out of a pad. I`ve been scratching my brain to see if I could figure out if it is something I`m doing wrong. Only thing that seems to be a common factor for me is the speed (6 on my PC). If this is the case, I`m switching pads - what good is a pad that you can`t speed up??

Darn, I hope that LC can do something about this.

Aurora
06-28-2004, 12:05 PM
I remember hearing that the recommended max RPM on the pads was exceeded by the higher settings on the PC. I rarely go into the 6 setting because of reading this. I`ve only gone through three cars though. No tearing so far. Watch out with spinning them dry as well. I notice them almost streching beyond their size. Could just be the wobbling, but I`m almost sure they are stretching.

ACURA95
06-28-2004, 12:07 PM
I guess the only good thing is that Cma will replace the pads, but Im sure they wont do that forever. I dont understand how the meguiars pads are holding up better yet thier made by the same company.

I think buying my first set of pads is alot more frustrating then buying my PC.:nixweiss

04BlackAV
06-28-2004, 12:17 PM
The density of the foam on the LC polishing pad seems stiffer and heavier than the Meg. polishing pad.Also the velcro seems thicker and less pliable on the LC pad.:nixweiss