PDA

View Full Version : meguiars products. how come they are hard to remove,no good in the sun?

quamen
06-27-2004, 11:40 PM
I find meguairs products to be some of the best products to use, but they seem so hard to remove.all my other waxes and polishes such as klasse,poorboys and clearkote seem to remove without any problem. I have the full meguairs professional line and they are very hard to remove. I follow the directions such as not working the sun, working the product in totally and so on. What is the problem? i apply the products both by a rotary and da.

topnotchtouch
06-28-2004, 05:55 AM
You need to be a bit more specific. Which products are you having problems with. Are you working one panel at a time and wiping it off or doing the whole car and then coming back to wipe?

quamen
06-28-2004, 08:50 AM
no im working one panel at a time and then wiping off. Having problems with number 7, dacp and the more aggressive line of products they have like 85. It is not really a huge problem,but it does seem like you need to apply alot more energy into removing the residue.

Bill D
06-28-2004, 08:53 AM
DACP comes off fairly easily for me using both a PC and now a rotary. If there`s any stubborn residue hit it with some QD, if that doesn`t do it, use some isopropyl alcohol/water mix

teamvegas
06-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Ditto to Bill D.

There #34 final inspection will take it all of really easy. But it will also remove all of the oils that #7 contains.

Maybe try working even a smaller section and then remove the residue. I havent had any problems but I also dont let the product sit on the surface any longer than needed.

Just my $.02.

JustinR32
06-28-2004, 08:10 PM
#7; use a super soft terry towel. make one pass lightly with the towel, then a second, then finish up with a mf towel. Don`t worry if you don`t get it all, whatever you`re going to wax with will get the last bits.

Tom

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
06-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Mosca

#7; use a super soft terry towel. make one pass lightly with the towel, then a second, then finish up with a mf towel. Don`t worry if you don`t get it all, whatever you`re going to wax with will get the last bits.

Tom

When you do the removal passes are they circular or linear? Does it matter like it does with polishes?

Deanski
06-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Quamen,

Please read the following link regarding #7. This is directly from Mike Phillips Technical Director Meguiar`s.

Meguiar`s #7 info (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740)

Regards,

Deanski

JustinR32
06-28-2004, 08:36 PM
I do them like "scoops".

Think of #7 like pudding on the paint. It never really dries completely; what it does is it "skins". You lightly remove the first "skin". It quickly reskins, and you remove the second skin. Then wipe up the extra with the mf towel.

Once you get the hang of it, it`s easy.

Tom

Scottwax
06-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Sounds like you may be using too much #83 and #85, cut back a slight bit, work them a little longer and see what happens.

shaf
06-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Moved to the Detailing Forum....

imported_Aurora40
06-29-2004, 08:34 AM
I find DACP a bit hard to remove also. I just have to wipe it off quickly after I finish polishing an area. As long as it doesn`t sit too long it comes off fairly easily. Many people seem to find #81 to be easier to use than #7, so maybe when you run out of #7 you might pick up some Hand Polish instead.

Accumulator
06-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by YouGottaBeLeaf

When you do the [#7] removal passes are they circular or linear? Does it matter like it does with polishes?

Shouldn`t matter with *any* product unless you`re causing marring, in which case a) the linear marring will be less noticeable and, b) stop inflicting marring ;) (just teasing, sorta).

Think of how a PC moves every which way ("random orbital" movement), no problem, right? Same with your hand.

#7 just takes a certain knack to get right, a knack that usually comes with experience. Or just try the #3/#5/#81, all of which work fine by hand or PC.

And if Meg`s stuff is hard for *you* to use, just use something else. I no longer struggle with [any] products, there`re just too many alternatives out there that I find easy to use.

Prometheus
06-29-2004, 01:16 PM
I`ve found the best way to work with 81 (basically 7`s younger brother) is to let it partially dry, go over it once, wait about 5 min, hit it again, and keep repeating till you have it the way you want. Seems to work pretty well with 81 so far.