PDA

View Full Version : Camouflaging bug damage?

imported_NHBFAN
06-27-2004, 10:31 PM
I know once bug damage is into the paint there`s little you can do about it, but is there a way to hide it?

Once you hit the damage with a PC and polish it really looks bad. How can you lessen the appearance of the damage?

shaf
06-28-2004, 03:31 AM
Exactly how bad is this damage anyway? :confused: The amount of damage can vary greatly....

I would say "keep polishing" unless it`s down all the way through the clearcoat or more?

If it`s super etched and the paint is all rough and indented noticably, I think you might have to do something drastic like wetsanding or something (if possible). It looks "really bad" because it`s trapping some of the polish and it gets all white, right?

imported_NHBFAN
06-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

It looks "really bad" because it`s trapping some of the polish and it gets all white, right?

That`s correct, 4DSC.

Hitting it with a PC and polish worsens the appearance. I thought claying was helping, but once it dried it looked about the same.

Bill D
06-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Sounds like it could be a job for a rotary or even some light wet sanding followed by a rotary, then PC for a final touch :nixweiss

imported_NHBFAN
06-28-2004, 10:05 PM
I guess the biggest problem is the "trapped" white polish.

Guess I`ll try something like AIO and a toothbrush on the front bumper. I don`t own a rotary.

shaf
06-29-2004, 02:24 AM
I would use some kind of solvent or IPA solution instead of AIO to get the polish residues out.

Sounds like this is going to need something drastic like wetsanding or a repaint, since unless you use a very strong compound on it, trying to level it by polishing might not be what you want. I don`t know, I`m just guessing here since I have never actually corrected damage this deep, but have seen it.

imported_NHBFAN
06-29-2004, 06:37 PM

I would use some kind of solvent or IPA solution instead of AIO to get the polish residues out.

What`s IPA solution?

Maybe I`ll try 3M`s tar and adhensive remove with a toothbrush first. I know that won`t correct the damage, but if I could "get the white out", it would certainly approve the appearance.

ncal
06-29-2004, 09:24 PM
IPA = Isopropyl Alchol

I 50/50 it with dihydrogen oxide

imported_NHBFAN
06-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ncal

IPA = Isopropyl Alchol

I 50/50 it with dihydrogen oxide

Do you have to mix it? Is IPA safe on paint when it`s not dilluted? Is it effective in removing polishes/waxes?

shaf
06-30-2004, 03:15 AM
The 3M is perfectly fine to try, but I think you can just go to any dollar store and buy a bottle of IPA and use that straight up, since that`s already a 50% solution most of the time.

imported_NHBFAN
06-30-2004, 07:48 PM

The 3M is perfectly fine to try, but I think you can just go to any dollar store and buy a bottle of IPA and use that straight up, since that`s already a 50% solution most of the time.

4DSC,

Thanks for the tip!