PDA

View Full Version : How can I fix all these nicks on my hood...and are these swirl marks?

digitalduck
06-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Ok, I bought a used 00 black GTP and have alot of nicks on the hood... (see below) since there are a lot of them, what is my option besides repainting the hood? Or is that my only option? You cant really see them in normal walking by, but up, close..oh yeah.

Remember, it was used, so I would never let it get this bad, but now what can I do? Also, in the 2nd pic...those are spider swirls, right? I have already done the following 3 weeks ago:

washed

clayed

Meguire #9

Meguire #7

Meguire NXT

All by hand, not buffer...looks like the swirls are still there, but what can I do about the chips? Thanks....

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/digitalduck23-hoodpic.jpg

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/digitalduck23-swirls.jpg

Jesstzn
06-27-2004, 10:50 PM
The #9 and #7 both from what I understand have oils/filler and the NXT is a bit of a cleaner so it might have removed them.

Try this get a bottle of ( Now don`t go flaming me ) Turtle Wax Black colored wax and wax the hood with it .. give it 2 coats then wait a day and *gently * put a layer of NXT on it .. see how it does after the NXT .. if your getting color transfer on your applicator applying the NXT your pulling up the TW dye then you might have to resort to a non cleaner wax as a topper.

Have a look at this thread on an Explorer I did last week .. you will also see I used 3M 39009 SMR for dark cars on it .. this also helped fill the mars.

The hood on the explorer looked a lot like yours and the doors were worse.

Filling mars on dark hood (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39760)

digitalduck
06-28-2004, 02:29 AM
Thanks Jesstzn, looks great! Anyone else?

imported_WCD
06-28-2004, 02:41 AM
Well, if you have chips in the paint, then you will have to touch up with paint.

You won`t generate enough friction/heat by hand to remove many of those swirls, but it would get better with a rotary. There are filler polishes that you can follow with a good protectant that will keep them hidden for a while, but I don`t think you can remove them by hand.

Goodluck!

R Regan

digitalduck
06-28-2004, 02:48 AM
But that is an aweful lot of nicks...would I have to use the wet sand method on all of them?

shaf
06-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Do these "chips" actually go right through the paint, or are they just nicks and gouges? If they`re not really missing chunks of paint some might suggest wetsanding them without using any touchup paint, but I would try some semi-aggressive polishing first and seeing how how that does. It`s basically the same, but with polish instead of sandpaper.

It`s possible that in the end you`ll have to repaint it or live with the chips. The swirls you can remove though. Pictures aren`t very reliable, but it looks like a combination of marring and light scratches to me. Regardless of what you call it, it can probably be removed or partially hidden. As a guess, I am not sure trying to hide them is going to totally work though, since I bet some of the marks are more severe...