PDA

View Full Version : What is the least abrasive polish?

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
06-27-2004, 07:00 PM
I want to do some tests between some of the different waxes and sealants I have. However, I want to strip them off without having to re-polish (i.e. grind down my clearcoat) every time.

What`s the least abrasive polish I can use to remove just the sealant and/or wax combinations that I have applied?

Bill D
06-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Why not use something like Prepsol or an isopropyl alcohol mix? No polishing necessary at all :up

shaf
06-28-2004, 02:51 AM
I agree. Some kind of common solvent should do it, since often that is what strips off the previous wax when you use a polish on it anyway.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
06-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

Why not use something like Prepsol or an isopropyl alcohol mix? No polishing necessary at all :up

I`m up in Canada and haven`t seen Prepsol available anywhere. Is it a car product or can I find it somewhere else (e.g. a drug store).

If I use isopropyl alcohol what should be the proper mix? I`ve seen you mention 50/50, but I`ve also seen it mentioned as:

full strength (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=40151)

as well as 5:1 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=38375&highlight=isopropyl)

maecrispy
06-28-2004, 07:28 AM
You can use a 50/50 IPA mix. That will remove anything you have on the car.

You can also use products like VM and Poorboy`s PP. Both will remove anything you have on the paint and both have little to no abrasives.

Accumulator
06-28-2004, 10:42 AM
You can get PrepSol or an equivalent (Pre-Kleano comes to mind) at shops that sell autopaint/body supplies. And when I use the alcohol/water mix, I`m none too scientific/precise about how I mix it up :o but it always seems to work fine.

But *I* always like to use a mild polish/paint cleaner, even if I`ve done the solvent thing. I figure that if things are so bad that I can`t just clay and redo my LSP then I`d better do some real cleaning. There are chemical-only paint cleaners (Meg`s has some, but I can`t remember which they are) and products like Pinnacle PCL are even milder than VM- nonabrasive for practical purposes, at least on b/c paint.

WAX2MUCH
06-28-2004, 11:21 AM
I recall that David B. did a test using P21S Paint Cleanser (GEPC). He used it over and over, multiple times (seems like 7-8?) and saw no reduction in the clearcoat thickness.

P21S GEPC and the Pinnacle equivalent may be the mildest products that will remove old wax/sealant?

ZaneO
06-28-2004, 11:44 AM
DavidB used GEPC everyday for a month with no reduction in paint thickness.

shaf
06-29-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by ZaneO

DavidB used GEPC everyday for a month with no reduction in paint thickness. Woah.... don`t remember that story. Interesting!