PDA

View Full Version : Orange blast on paint?

NorcalZ71
06-25-2004, 11:26 PM
picked up some orange blast today along with my QEW. is it safe to use OB on my paint to remove some odd sticky stuff (looks like a soda splashed on my rockers?)? what about for bugs on the front end?

travisdecpn
06-26-2004, 12:06 AM
I took a look at their site and they said not to use orange blast on paint. You may just want you use a bug and tar remover to take care of the soda and the bugs.

Nickshades
06-26-2004, 02:22 AM
careful about that soda stuff....I know this guy who had pepsi spilled on his Mercury cougar on the hood and it etched the paint. I didn`t know soda was that harsh on the paint, but that`s what he told me it was. It might have been sitting a while, but I`m not sure, I would have to ask him. Just thought I`d share that with you.

shaf
06-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Nickshades

careful about that soda stuff....I know this guy who had pepsi spilled on his Mercury cougar on the hood and it etched the paint. I didn`t know soda was that harsh on the paint, but that`s what he told me it was. It might have been sitting a while, but I`m not sure, I would have to ask him. Just thought I`d share that with you. Doesn`t surprise me a bit.

All soda pops are acidic (carbonic and phosphoric acid, who knows what else) and if it gets the chance to sit on paint and bake, it dries out and super-concentrates, making it a super-strong acid. Probably does damage just as bad (if not worse?) than acid rain does when this happens.

General rule for removing stuff if unsure: Try removing it by washing it off first. If that fails, try a solvent (like tar remover).