PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Brand Names

Pages : [1] 2

Nickshades
06-25-2004, 08:58 PM
I take it there are three popular rotaries on the market. The Dewalt, Makita, and Porter Cable. I was trying to decide on the right machine without having experience with a rotary prior. I ended up talking to someone at Proper Auto Care and decided on the Porter Cable. I know that in the forum threads, there is mention about the porter cable orbital, but I`m just curious what some opinion`s are about these three types of rotaries. And for those who own a Makita or Dewalt, is there an incessant motor noise that can be quite irritating as you are compounding or polishing a car.

BradE
06-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Motor noise shouldn`t be that much of an issue, your using a machine, it`s going to make noise.

I`ve used all 3, I`d rank them as follows:

1) DeWalt 849

2) Makita 9227C

3) Porter Cable

Nickshades
06-25-2004, 09:10 PM
I`m curious as to why you prefer the Dewalt first? Handling, Weight, Balance, operating noise???

hondaguy2582
06-25-2004, 09:11 PM
My vote goes to the makita. Im a user of the older 9207c model, and have also used the 9227c(can`t beat it, and its light).

travisdecpn
06-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Makita for sure.

imported_BretFraz
06-25-2004, 10:25 PM
I have the DeWalt and the Porter Cable and prefer the DeWalt. I like the bailing handle and the quieter operation of the PC but when it comes to performance, the DeWalt wins IMO.

Nickshades
06-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I have the DeWalt and the Porter Cable and prefer the DeWalt. I like the bailing handle and the quieter operation of the PC but when it comes to performance, the DeWalt wins IMO.

how is the performance different. I only ask because i`m only familiar with the PC, but it seems like they all do basically the same operation, which is the rotating head. Is it smoother revolutions or something? I only ask because i`m curious and might be inclined to purchase the Dewalt if its that great. Thanks for the help:)

Bill D
06-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Don`t forget about the Metabo. Anyone use one?

http://www.primetools.com/metabo/polishers.html

kartoon
06-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Holy cow ! What the heck is that Metabo ?

Are they sort of like Snap-On in tools ?

$384 for a basic 18 V cordless drill (and that`s down from $554) ?

:shocked

bigbluebubbles
06-26-2004, 09:35 AM
i just recived my makita 9227 its light and compact...............i was looking at the milwakee and there is no way in heck im carrying that thing around its so heavy...

Accumulator
06-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by bigbluebubbles

i just recived my makita 9227 its light and compact...............i was looking at the milwakee and there is no way in heck im carrying that thing around its so heavy...

Heh heh :xyxthumbs to the above. I used on a Milwaukee back when I was a kid; when I decided to buy a rotary, I got the Makita.

Bill D
06-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I finally got to try my rotary today ! :bounce I don`t see it easily burning paint unless one is obviously careless. I think I had it up to 2200 rps with a cutting pad. Made my silver fender scrap piece shimmer. Will be moving on to the maroon one :up

Accumulator
06-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I finally got to try my rotary today ! :bounce I don`t see it easily burning paint unless one is obviously careless...

Heh heh heh, see :D You`re gonna be using that thing on the Caddy and Audi in no time. Just watch it on the sharp panel creases on the Caddy.

But remember to inspect the test panels in bright sunlight, at different viewing angles and distances, to check for holograms. Sometimes I spend much longer inspecting than I do polishing! This will be easier to check on the maroon panel...

tangix2001
06-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I don`t see it easily burning paint unless one is obviously careless.

Exactly, unless you catch and edge or a piece of trim, I think the burning paint thing is a little overstated. Good luck with the practice.:) I`m glad to see more people using the rotary.

Bill D
06-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks very much guys :xyxthumbs