PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s #80

superstring
06-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Recently I`ve been reading a lot of positive comments about Meg`s #80. Am I correct in thinking that #80 is essentially an "all in one" product, which removes swirls and other marring and leaves a glazed finish ready for topping (if desired), without any other polishing steps required?

Thanks!

Dinzdale40
06-25-2004, 10:38 PM
This is a good question..... I`ve heard that #80 has some arasiveness in it. Like SFP or something like that would have. I`ve also seen that Scottwax uses it on cars that have been painted recently instead of applying a wax to them which would seal the paint and not allow it to cure. I am having a new front bumper painted and am interested in #80 as I am sure they will tell me not to wax it for a while at least....

SpoiledMan
06-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, 80 does have abrasives in it that break down pretty quick even by hand. It does offer some polymer protection and would be good for using on fresh paint. It is a joy to use and does wonders by hand, PC or rotary.

stilez
06-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

Yes, 80 does have abrasives in it that break down pretty quick even by hand. It does offer some polymer protection and would be good for using on fresh paint. It is a joy to use and does wonders by hand, PC or rotary.

Ditto.:up

imported_COBRyan
06-26-2004, 04:27 PM
If I already own SFP, would there be any point to buying some #80? Essentially the same product, no?

Pats300zx
06-26-2004, 04:34 PM
If I already own SFP, would there be any point to buying some #80? Essentially the same product, no?

Its my understanding that #80 is a tad more aggressive than #82 but breaks down quicker..

SpoiledMan
06-26-2004, 04:46 PM
I have them both and will say that 80 is easier to use by hand and is more versatile than 82. 80 also offers some protection while I don`t believe 82 does.

Aurora
06-26-2004, 04:56 PM
It leaves a squeaky clean surface. I knew there was something missing though when I topped it and it`s looking like that would be a glaze(VM?). Waiting on my shipment.

Scottwax
06-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Like the others have said, #80 works great by hand or machine. It breaks down quickly but make sure you break it all the way down (I do two moderate speed passes with the PC, then one real slow pass and #80 all but disappears and wipes off with ease. If I am doing a two step, I then go straight to NXT since the (very) light cleaners and abrasives will further polish the paint and on 3 step jobs, I use either Vanilla Moose or Poorboy` Polish with carnauba.

EBPcivicsi
06-26-2004, 06:19 PM
I use #80 a bit differently than Scottwax, but I feel that the product is versatile enough to be used both ways.

I apply it with a polishing pad @ 5-5.5 until it almost disappears, then I move to the next section. After I apply it to the entire car, I remove with MF.

I feel that by doing this I allow whatever polymer it contains to "set up" before removal. I always top it unless it is on uncured paint.

Someone asked if they alrerady #82 if it would worth it to get #80, IMO absolutely.

I am glad that #80 is finally getting a bit of buzz, it is a fine product.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-26-2004, 07:22 PM
I use 80 the same exact same way as DACP....1 Vertical pass at 4, a horizontal pass at 5, and a final vertical pass full bore....Ive never looked back after using it, awesome product....Heres my #80, and Platinum Audi All Road Quatro....

superstring
06-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies and discussion. I have two more specific but related questions:

1. Is #80 as good at removing swirls as, say, #82?

2. Since #80 contains a "glaze" component, which essentially fills minor imperfections (including swirls), is it a good prep for the Klasse twins without another inbetween step? I`m thinking that if it relies too much on its` ability to fill, then using AIO would remove the fillers and the swirls would reappear.

Thanks again.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-26-2004, 08:46 PM
80 is very good at removing light swirls, but i dont rely on it for any filling properties. I use it for ease of use, and product quality....

stilez
06-26-2004, 11:12 PM
I`d say #80 is better than #82 for swirls since it is very easy to work with.

I think the "glaze" scares everyone away. The oils help break it down to a very fine polish but I don`t really think it fills much. The vehicles I have done with it don`t have re-occuring swirls marks. Best way to find out though is to use AIO after it.

Good Luck, let us know!