PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Aslan
06-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Howdy, I`m new,

Anyways, I was just whondering if any of you have ever stripped off paint from a factory alluminum wheel and polished it out? I would love to try this (especially since I`m probably going to be getting a new set of welds). Any pointers? Should I use sandpaper starting at 200,400,1000,1500,2000? Or should I buy the kit from eastwood (or a similar company) which consists of polishing compounds in various grits?

Thanks, this is a great board here.

PS, the wheels are from a 97 S-10.

Aslan
06-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Here`s the Eastwood kit. (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=949&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=433&iSubCat=436&iProductID=949)

tpgsr
06-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Welcome to autopia :wavey I have done it with a rusted wheel on a jeep, but we sandblasted it so i wouldn`t know where to start with sandpaper. Just be real careful :)

Aslan
06-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by tpgsr

Welcome to autopia :wavey I have done it with a rusted wheel on a jeep, but we sandblasted it so i wouldn`t know where to start with sandpaper. Just be real careful :)

Did you polish it out after words? I have access to a sandblaster, but I figured that would only pit it?

shaf
06-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Welcome to Autopia Aslan. :welcome

May I humbly suggest trying to use the Search feature on this (if you have not already) and if that doesn`t help, repost this question here with a better title than just "Hello". :D I think you`ll find people more responsive if you use a more descriptive title such as "Polishing Previously Painted Wheels?" or something like that.

Sorry I can`t help you with that question, but good luck.