PDA

View Full Version : #83 DACP vs 3M SMR vs Poorboys

Pages : [1] 2

s2skimon
06-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Hello all in Meg`s land..

I`m quite impressed with my Meg`s #83 DACP over 3M SMR. I have made the switch to DACP permanently for swirl removal.

I`m curious as to what you all think of the new boy on the block in Poorboys` SMR and how that stacks up to your DACP ?

of course all done with my 7424..

thanks

Mike_Phillips
06-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by montoya

Hello all in Meg`s land..

I`m quite impressed with my Meg`s #83 DACP over 3M SMR. I have made the switch to DACP permanently for swirl removal.

I`m curious as to what you all think of the new boy on the block in Poorboys` SMR and how that stacks up to your DACP ?

of course all done with my 7424..

thanks

Hi montoya,

I have some of Poorboy`s products, including the SSR1, I don`t know if I have SSR2 and I know I don`t have SSR2.5

Which one are you referring to?

Mike

s2skimon
06-25-2004, 04:08 PM
I`m unfamiliar with the Poorboy`s line.. but I phathom the guess as to the specific swirl remover being the ssr1 ?

s2skimon
06-25-2004, 04:09 PM
and BTW, I think my #83 DACP is awesome stuff !! I can`t tell you how many faces I`ve made go " wow !" by just that alone and no topper

Mike_Phillips
06-25-2004, 04:13 PM
That would be my guess as to a product that was close to or equivalent to #83 DACP

I haven`t done a side-by-side comparison. Next Wednesday night, from 5:00pm to 10:00pm I have the Training Garage reserved for some wax testing.

I`ll give it spin, (no pun intended).

Mike

s2skimon
06-25-2004, 04:16 PM
awesome thanks.. I`ll await to hear your results.. wish I was there.. to see it in real :-(

imported_perry
06-25-2004, 07:43 PM
I think that SSR 2.5 is supposed to be an equivalent to DACP.. about the same strength and such. "Light to moderate swirls" they say. I guess that SSR 1 would be close to SFP :dunno:

AutoGeek has a good comparison between the SSR`s - http://www.autogeek.net/pbsr.html

Superior Shine
06-27-2004, 09:03 PM
I hired a person to help me detail cars last year. He was a poorboys dist. and swore by those products.

After he saw Meguiars products in action, he isn`t a poorboys dist. anymore and now uses Meguiars.

Take that for what it is worth.

Poorboy
06-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Nothing like some misinformation :nono

ZaneO
06-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Superior - You are way out of line.

s2skimon
06-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Meg`s #83 DACP or SSR1 or SSR2 ?

imported_elortt
06-30-2004, 10:48 AM
I think the SSR2.5 really takes the place of SSR2 nicely. It will remove deeper defects than SSR2 or 1 and will still leave the finish smooth and ready for sealing / waxing. IMO SSR2.5 and DACP are very similar but I think the SSR2.5 is just a bit more user friendly. The only down side is it makes you hungry :p If you already have dacp, you would probably use it up first as it is a very good product

Eric

Mike_Phillips
06-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Just to chime in here,

Tonights wax testing at Meguiar`s Garage has been canceled by me due to scheduling problems. I will be trying to reschedule again in the future.

All I was going to do was get together with Spoiledman out in the garage and play around with some products, this is not, and will not be a Meguiar`s versus Poorboy`s competition. I was asked what I thought about it by montoya and I learned a long time ago to never post your opinion about a product you have never tried. Certain elements in the online community will roast your over a fire for this.

Instead, what I was going to do was to play around with a number of different product, one of them being the SSR series by request and for my own information. I was going to let Spoiledman post what he saw so that I could take the wind out of anyone`s sails were they to try to play the Biased Card.

It looks like I might try for, doing this after my clinic for the members of the Rolls Royce club on July 10th.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/calendar.php?s=&action=getinfo&eventid=30

The class gets over at approximately 4:00pm

If a few other fellow Autopians, or members of DC or MOL would like to come down I wouldn`t have a problem with that either as long as they let me know a head of time.

One of the things I was also going to test out was the Makita BO6040

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2MakitaBO6040.jpg

I have only tried this tool one time and that was on a show truck and for what I was doing, I didn`t like it very much.

Believe it or not, I had this idea about 6-8 years ago about gathering up some car waxes and testing them on my big black paint panel. Lynn really see anything good coming from this and though I was just going to spend a lot of money and time in the garage, which I already did plenty of. So I never did it.

Then, a few years ago the "Wax Test" comes out. Now I feel vindicated, but a day late and a dollar short. By the way, at the time... I didn`t work for Meguiar`s but for Hewlett-Packard and myself in my own detailing business.

I`m thinking about conducting a "Wax Test", not as Mike the employee of Meguiar`s, but as Mike the guy who likes to polish paint.

But I wonder if anyone in the Cyber-World would trust my results?

Mike

Mike

6cyl's_of_fury
07-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Mike,

The general concensus in Autopia is that you are a stand-up guy, and I guess as long as the testing is "transparent" then there should be no issues what-so-ever.

I say ignore the haters and go ahead with it :xyxthumbs

ncal
07-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Personally I take EVERY review with a grain of salt because we all have biases. That isn`t a bad thing, it just means we`re human : D

Personally, I am excited about any empirical attempt to study carcare products and especially if someone as skilled as you published something Mike.