PDA

View Full Version : what products to use by hand?

Pages : [1] 2

mciampag
06-25-2004, 08:10 AM
I`ve lurked around here a bit, and read a lot in the last few days, but there`s so much info I`m having a hard time finding what I need.

I`m not exactly a beginner, but I`m no pro either. I`ve been using Meguiar`s commercial line for awhile now and understand what goes in to each step.... but I`d like to try some new products and would like some recommendations.

I have a black `93 Honda, some original paint, some fresh (darn fender benders...), some small chips on the hood, etc. The paint has gold flecks in it, looks gorgeous when the sun hits it right after being waxed real nice. My biggest problem, of course, are swirls. I`ve had reasonable luck with Meguiar`s 3-Step system, but I`d like something a tad more aggressive. Everyone seems to love DACP (took me awhile just to figure out what that was), but everyone`s also using a PC. How does DACP work by hand? Is there something I should use instead? I`m not concerned with finding a super-duper easy-to-use product, I don`t mind a harder product if it yields good results.

I`m also looking for a new polish or glaze, and a wax. I LOVE the `wet look` that Carnaubas are best known for. Color depth is more important to me than gloss. I don`t mind waxing once in awhile, so I don`t need the incredible durability of the polymer sealants... but I don`t have time to wax every weekend. I want something that`ll last 2-3 months if possible. I`m not willing to take out a new loan to buy wax either, so no souveran for me.

Finally, I`ve been using terry cloth towels for all these steps. Everyone seems real big on MF now, should I invest in some MF products of my own? If so, what do you suggest, and where do I find it?

That ought to do it. In summary, here`s what I need, keep in mind these will all be applied by hand:

Compound - Something reasonably abrasive

Polish/Glaze - Something to follow the compound with, and `enhance` the paint.

Wax - Something to give me a reasonably durable `wet look`, plenty of depth and liquidity on metallic black paint.

That`s it, sorry for the novel, but I figured it`d be easier for you guys to give me recommendations if I`m as specific as possible with my desires. Thanks a lot!

UtahX
06-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Compound - 1Z PP, 1Z MPW, #80

Polish/Glaze - VM, PwC, Tropi-Care

Wax - S100, #26, #16, Natty`s Wax

jeff5614
06-25-2004, 08:44 AM
I`m a newbie at any serious detailing and had only used the readily available waxes/polishes from walmart. After lurking for sometime and finally asking a few questions I gave WG twins a try. I have a matador red (burgundy) 97 integra and after claying and using WG i can`t remember it looking and feeling better. It has a nice warm deep look to it and is still beading nicely after about a month. It was very easy to work with by hand as I`ve not made the jump to a PC yet. I also used it on my wife`s new carbon gray TSX with not so noticeable a difference in appearance but it`s still beading like mad also.

detailonator
06-25-2004, 08:54 AM
try nu finish i got awsome results check out my pic on my nu finish thread

paco
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Stay within one product line as it will make it easier to understand the polish line. Plus, I recommend go with easy products to work with that are pretty forgiving.

If I were you, I`d try either (increasing level of abrasiveness):

1. Meguiar`s Body Shop line

Swirl Free Polish

Speed Glaze

Dual Action Cleaner Polish

2. 1Z

Metallic Polish

Paint Polish

For a cleaner:

1. S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser

2. Vanilla Moose

For a topper, I`d go either:

1. Meguiar`s

No. 26 High Tech Wax

2. S100

Wolfgang is also a consideration but I haven`t personally tried them so it`s a forum bias as to the recommendation.

Paco

imported_Macgirl
06-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Do you like to buy your products locally or are you willing to do it online? I`d say if you are a local buyer find a Meg`s Dealer near you (check the Meguiar`s website) and get some #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 or #80 Speed Glaze. I`ve heard that the DACP is doable my hand but if you are new then you will want to stick to products that say they are usable by hand, and will say so on the label. I like einszett`s polishes ALOT. Since you have black paint, I`d suggest you get the Paint Polish, in the green can. In my experience I liked the 1Z overall when using by hand. The popular carnauba waxes lately have been Meguiars #16 and P21S/S100, both are paste waxes whereas the #16 is considered a "heavy" wax with a bit more durability. S100 can be found at a Harley Davidson dealer. Oh, I think most compounds recommend machine application, although I believe 3M Fine-Cut Rubbing Compound can be applied by hand if you want to give it a try.

As for microfiber, this a is an oft discussed item and you could do a search for "microfiber" and get tons of hits. As for myself, I`ve got towels from www.tacscar.com, www.microfibertech.com, www.pakshak.com, www.vaporcleanproducts.com, and Autopia (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+ufAdJU+towels---chamois.html+). I`m really liking the SONUS Der Wunder towels I`ve gotten recently from the Autopia Store, top-notch products.

mciampag
06-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Wow, quick replies, this is great. I read a few P21S/S100 threads here, I`d heard elsewhere that it`s great stuff... but after those threads I`m not sure the durability will give me what I want. I gathered that the S100 will be gone in less than 2 months, I`d like something to hold out a tad longer.

I have no problem ordering things online, I usually prefer it - better selection that way.

How do the #16 and #26 compare to each other, and to the gold class stuff that I`ve been using?

Accumulator
06-25-2004, 09:57 AM
mciampag- Welcome to Autopia! That *IS* a cool color and I *think* I know just what look you`re after- I had a CRX in the black w/gold metallic back in the late `80s. I always wanted something that would really make the metallic "pop", so it didn`t just look like a black car and I`m guessing that`s what you want too.

If you`re working by hand, I really don`t think you can beat the 1Z line; it`s worth the hassle of mail-ordering. Plus, I find that it results in a special sort of optical clarity, which I think would really let the cool metallic effects show. On my silver Audi, the metallic is just blazing in the sun; it`s something special that I don`t quite see when I use other polishes. I use different stuff on my wife`s silver Audi, and it`s never quite the same.

As others have said, the 1Z Paint Polish is a good, sorta-strong polish that will work by hand. Following up with either the Metallic PolishWax or the WaxPolish Soft (gotta love those names ;) ) will work great. As I recall, that paint isn`t too hard, so using a very mild product like the MP/WPS as the last polishing step would be a good idea. Any micromarring would detract from the look you`re after.

3M stuff that works well by hand: PI-III RC (05933, don`t worry it`s mild) and PI-III MG (05937). But I think you`d get better results with the 1Z stuff. These 3M products are what I use on my wife`s car, and on metallics, I just can`t quite get the look I achieve with 1Z :nixweiss

IMO the only Meg`s product that`s *foolproof* by hand is their #80 (with maybe a #82/#9 follow-up), but again, I`d go 1Z.

You could either top the 1Z polishes with their Glanz wax, or use Meg`s #16. Between #16 and #26, in your case I`d go with the #16. It would better highlight the metallic effect, whereas the #26 would result in a "deeper/darker" black. Your call, but the #16 would get my vote. S100/P21S works well (looks sorta like a "better" version of the #16, more reflective) and is *very* easy to use, but it doesn`t last nearly as long as the #16. The $12 can of #16 will last for *years* and each application should be good for about two months (though I get longer).

paco
06-25-2004, 10:04 AM
No. 16

Rub On Wipe Off; if you let it sit, it will be bugger to remove.

Very reflective

No. 26

Rub on, let it haze, then wipe off. More forgiving when applying.

Much wetter look i.e oily like. Mutes the colour a bit.

Accumulator
06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by paco

No. 16

Rub On Wipe Off; if you let it sit, it will be bugger to remove.

Very reflective

I`ve done that before and I thought it worked OK. But Mike Phillips (who knows more about this stuff than most of us) saw what I`d posted and :nono said you gotta let the #16 set up for a while :nixweiss After I thought about it, I decided I *do* let the first application set up just long enough to apply it to the next panel, but with *subsequent* applications, I usually just w-o-w-o. But anyhow, the stuff isn`t all that hard to use, just takes a little familiarization (but then, easy for me to say; I`ve been using it since I was a kid- back when cars had bias-ply tires :D ).

mciampag
06-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Ok, I`ll pick up the 1Z PP and MPW. Undecided on the waxes. I DO want to highlight the metallic look, but I love a deep wet look. I`m leaning towards the 16 or S100 though. On the other hand, the 16, S100, and 26 are all cheap enough I may try them all :)

On a sidenote, what would you guys use for a metallic sky blue color (`04 Toyota Matrix, I`m sure you`ve seen the color around town)? Paint is fine, not too concerned with swirls or any other defects since it`s so new. Just need something to keep up the `new` look. I`m guessing this would be another good place to use 1Z MPW and #16/S100?

Everyone seems to like Meg`s #34 FI, does that work on top of S100?

UtahX
06-25-2004, 11:46 AM
I use FI over S100, smells great as well.

imported_Macgirl
06-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Any quick detail product will work over S100. I`ve finally gotten an order of 1Z Detailing Spray (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+ufAdJU+1z-981305.html+) and I have to say the stuff is blowing me away at the moment. Awesome slickness and the metallic flake in my silver paint in the sun is amazing. Like Accumulator said before the 1Z polishes are terrific on metallic paints. If you`re going to get some 1Z polishes throw the Lackfinish in your cart too!

Glanz Wax isn`t too bad either but it isn`t your traditional carnauba wax, but a synthetic that is engineered to be more durable and have the warm glow of a carnauba. It`s what I use and I really like it a lot.

Accumulator
06-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by mciampag

On a sidenote, what would you guys use for a metallic sky blue color? Paint is fine..I`m guessing this would be another good place to use 1Z MPW and #16/S100?

Yep, same advice.

Everyone seems to like Meg`s #34 FI, does that work on top of S100?

I don`t use #34 over carnaubas, I don`t believe it adds anything, just smooths them out a bit due to the (#34`s) alcohol content. I prefer Pinnacle`s CM (expensive), ClearKote`s Quik SHine (sic :rolleyes: :D), EF Clear Pearl, Griot`s Speed Shine or the 1Z stuff.

Cam
06-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by mciampag

I`ve had reasonable luck with Meguiar`s 3-Step system, but I`d like something a tad more aggressive.

This spring I felt the same way. I`d been using Deep Crystal 1 & 2 followed by Gold Class wax, all by hand. I poked around for info and (on Accumulator`s advice) ended up stepping up to 80/81/16. Some pics here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37166). I recently tried #26 paste wax, and the pics are here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39929).

I`m sure I`m not getting the most out of the #80 by hand, but the 81 and both waxes are great IMO. If you`re looking to bring out the metallic, give the #16 a shot for sure.

Be careful though, this Autopia stuff is very addictive... :eek: