PDA

View Full Version : Newbie PC advice

x350Zx
06-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Okay so I bought a PC7336 the other day and today I attempted to use it. After washing my car with Zaino Carwash, claying it thoroughly, I started to apply nxt in nice thin layers by hand using a pad. Then I waited about 20 minutes and attempted to buff it off with the PC at speed 3 using the polishing pad supplied with the pc. The nxt came off- but it somewhat smeared everytime I ran the pc over it. It smeared into circular streaks and what not. Now as a newbie I have a few questions:

1. Does the pad supplied with the pc suck? Cuz it didn`t seem to take off the nxt that well.

2. When using the pc, in what directions does one move the machine? I tend to utilize circular motions when using buffers, but today this seemed to make my problems worse.

3. Are there any pads that you would reccommend me getting? I have a black car thus the swirls problem, although hardly visible usually. Also are there certain pads used for application of the wax/polish then certain pads for buffing the product off?

Thanks in advance for your help.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
06-25-2004, 01:47 AM
If you click the "learn!" icon at the top of the page there are a bunch of tutorials. One of them leads to this PC tutorial: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
06-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Here`s a thread on using a PC with NXT http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=40022

dmatre
06-25-2004, 05:08 AM
The problem may be the use of the PC.

PCs are normally used to apply the polish/sealant/wax, which is then removed by hand.

The foam pads used with the PC will not `pick up` the residue left after application, thus they simply smear it around.

There are some companies out there that supply a microfiber bonnet for removal of the polish/sealant/wax, but I haven`t given it a try yet.

I`d bet that if you go back, apply with the PC, let it haze, and then remove using 100% cotton or MF cloth, the results will be much more satisfying.

x350Zx
06-26-2004, 05:35 PM
wow so pc`s aren`t normally used for buffing the wax/polish off? I was always under the impression that if you apply the stuff by either pc/hand you could also remove it by pc. ????

wanabe
06-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by x350Zx

wow so pc`s aren`t normally used for buffing the wax/polish off? I was always under the impression that if you apply the stuff by either pc/hand you could also remove it by pc. ????

i think its really personal preference... i often remove by hand, but i sometimes use the pc for product removal.

when i do, i use a microfiber bonnet over a lambswool pad (mainly for the cushioning). you have to change pads (the mf part) or shake them out periodically if removing much product.

Accumulator
06-26-2004, 06:58 PM
x350Zx - Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, the MF bonnets work well on the PC, I use them a lot for product removal. I prefer the ones that fit over foam pads- the wool pads tend to flatten out in this application and when they do they lose their cushioning ability.

The Meg`s Ultimate Bonnet works well for polish removal and I also like the TOL Ultra Suede ones for removing LSPs. There are other good ones, but those are the two that I probably use the most.

I think you`ll find answers to your Q`s in the links already provided, but post back on this if something still isn`t clear. The PC has been covered pretty well, and honestly, I`d say the best way to master it is to just use it a lot.

shaf
06-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by x350Zx

wow so pc`s aren`t normally used for buffing the wax/polish off? I was always under the impression that if you apply the stuff by either pc/hand you could also remove it by pc. ???? Welcome to Autopia x350Zx. :welcome

It sounds like you have some more reading to do. If you want another PC tutorial other than what there is at Autopia, I have a link to some great articles over at Roadfly in my PC thread (see signature).

It is a very common misconception that you need to "buff" a wax (or polish) after you have applied it, using a dry pad/cloth of some sort and rubbing a lot. This is wrong though. After applying a wax or working in a polish, all you really have to do is remove it from the paint. This is why it`s common to use the PC to apply, but then remove ("buff off") the residues by hand - it`s usually not that tough. It doesn`t help to try and dry polish the paint as if you were trying to burnish a brass doorknob or something.

Certainly you can use a PC to help remove residues though, as Accumulator says.