PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to AIO under Z2?

Pandora
06-24-2004, 05:34 PM
First off, I`m a search idiot, I know this has been talked about ad infinitum, I just can`t find it with a search.

Second, I have been using AIO + SG on my car for awhile and while I`m happy with the look and longevity of SG, I can`t help but remember that Zaino is easier to use. I`ve done Bill`s thing and agree it`s easier, but Z2+ZFX is still easier and always streak free.

So, the point of all this, is there a benefit to using AIO under Z2? Is there a bonding issue, or is it safe to do? My brain tells me that AIO will allow for minor swirl protection and a little deeper shine than just Z2, but I`m open to public ridicule if I missed something basic.

Assuming the paints in good shape before application, will the

AIO add anything, or will Z2 be the same without it?

Not to open another can of worms, but is there any noticeable difference between Z2 and Z3 in terms of appeance on the same car? I`ve used both, but only on different cars. Thanks all!

Ben

tkajeff
06-24-2004, 06:01 PM
I cannot help you in reference to the AIO and Z2 bonding question, but Z3 is for cars without a clear coat. The Zaino website does not say they are interchangeable. Hope this link helps. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-3&Category_Code=Zaino

paco
06-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Z2 and Z5, yes there is a difference. Not great but there is one. Z3 as stated above is for non clear finishes.

AIO can be used as a base for Z2.

Pandora
06-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Right,

In my limited study, and I`m sure someone will rebuff this, Z5 is worthless. I remember using Z3 on a non-clearcoated car, and it had a much more profound effect than Z2 on a clearcoated car. But I don`t really think it was the Zaino, it had to have been the prep work.

Anyone on the AIO/Z2 or 3 thing? Bueller?

imported_memnuts
06-25-2004, 05:32 AM
I have been using AIO as my last prep step before layering Z2 and Z5. I love the appearance of AIO and this appearance is only augmented by Zaino`s appearance characteristics. I have had zero bonding/streaking/hazing problems and the look is much better IMO on black and metallic dark grey than Z2 or Z5 alone.

I love the AIO - Zaino combo!!!!

Deanski
06-25-2004, 05:38 AM
blkZ28Conv,

Good to know! I gave my Father-In-Law the Klasse Kit from Autopia. It`s for his new Honda Accord in dark grey metallic.

Hopefully, the dealer`s "SMSAD" (Swirl Mark and Scratch Application Department" didn`t get to it!

I`ll wash it, clay it, polish and try AIO. He of course has SG, but may do the Zaino route.

Maybe top all this with Souveran paste...who knows.

Regards,

Deanski

imported_memnuts
06-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Deanski,

Report back how you like this combo. As you know both AIO and Zaino are so wonderful to work with. I applied the AIO with PC and Meg`s polishing pad and Zaino( ZFX mixture) by hand with Z6 slightly moistened MF pad.

imported_memnuts
06-25-2004, 05:55 AM
LMAO :D

"Hopefully, the dealer`s "SMSAD" (Swirl Mark and Scratch Application Department" didn`t get to it!`

I once worked in this department at a VW dealership (~ 30 years ago) when I was a teenage as a summer job.

Deanski
06-25-2004, 07:49 AM
Will do... Once I get the time to go up there.

Should be interesting!

Deanski

Pandora
06-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks blkZ28Conv and Deanski,

Funny you mention dark grey metallic as one of our cars is that color and I`ve been using AIO and S100 on it for a few years. My car is red, pretty similar to Deanski`s actually, so I`ll report back on both with the AIO-Z2 combo before too long.

Thanks again!

Ben