PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo and 3M

PiPpY
06-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Do any of you fellow Cyclo owners use any of the 3M products?

I used to do everything by hand or with a rotary, so I am new to the cyclo.

I am trying to figure out what to use on

1) Clear coat car (98 Camaro)

2) 1977 Mercedes

(edit) Also the paint on the Mercedes is really badly swirled but the Camaro has the normal scratches from washing.

I am pretty sure the Mercedes is a single stage paint.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated :D

Accumulator
06-24-2004, 05:00 PM
If the Benz is still wearing factory paint, then yeah, it`s SS (probably is if it had an old repaint, too). They didn`t start using b/c until the `80s, and even then, for the first few years they only used it with metallic paints. Go *very* easy on it, no telling just how thin it might be. You don`t want to cut through....

I`ve used 3M stuff with the Cyclo. I prefer to work with the PI-III line, and their RC (05933) and MG (05937) work fine with the cutting (yellow) and polishing (green) pads. I`m experimenting with the Cyclo and the PI-III Extra Cut RC, but it`s pretty aggressive and I`m not ready to recommend that combo yet. The PI-II RC (39002) works OK too, but it seems to dust a lot more than the PI-III (and the dust is *not* good to breath).

PiPpY
06-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks Accumulator!

THe Mercedes is the factory paint.

The car has lived in a garage near Lubbock, TX its whole life, so the paint is actually in great condition (except for driving it through car washes in the 80s)

I am trying to order some new 3M stuff as mine is all old (1995 old).

3Ms naming system isnt the most helpful, but I am looking at their site right now.

What do use with the white pads?

Thanks! :D

Nick Chronis
06-24-2004, 07:02 PM
I absolutely LOVE PI-III MG with the cyclo and white pads. You can work it in just to when it about disappears.

Accumulator
06-24-2004, 08:18 PM
PiPpY- Listen to NickC, I think he and Anthony O. are using the white pads a lot more than I am these days. I usually go with the PC when I want to do something milder than the green pads. Too often, the white pads were *so* contaminated with velcro slubs that I just hated cleaning them up well enough to use (I hear Winner`s Circle sells them "cleaned", and you can get clean white 4" pads from CMA, too as I recall). When I *do* bother, I usually just use them to apply my LSP. I`ve never used a white pad on the Cyclo with a 3M product that I can remember.

But then I`m not totally convinced that you *need* to use something milder than the green pads. With mild products, I don`t remember ever actually seeing micromarring from them, and back in the day *nobody* used the white pads for polishing. And paints were generally softer back then. Still, I`ve been following up with (a soft pad on) the PC forever; now it`s just what I usually do.

If you`re gonna use carnauba, I think I`d look into the PI-III Finishing glaze (sorry, no pn handy). It has some carnauba in it an milder abrasives than the MG. I think that it would be well suited to the white pads, but again, it`s for those jobs where your LSP is gonna be wax as opposed to sealant.

Man, I`d sure be careful with that Benz`s paint! It`s only original once. I`m almost afraid to polish my `85 Jag any more, too many years of Cycloing it...the paint`s *almost* worn through in two spots (you can see hints of primer through it). But it doesn` sound like you`re anywhere near that point yet. Still, err on the side of caution.

PiPpY
06-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I would post a pic of the Mercedes but dont have a host.

But, I will post my list of products that I order in a few days and then the pics will follow as I get time to do it!

I will be extra careful with the Mercedes. It only has 150K miles on it, so it is pretty clean.

Thanks for your help gang! :D

Nick Chronis
06-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

PiPpY- Listen to NickC, I think he and Anthony O. are using the white pads a lot more than I am these days.

There`s probably nothing wrong with using the green pads since they`re pretty mild. It`s a matter of preference. I like to work it in until it actually disappears and the white pads are so mild, that it`s the product(MG) doing all the work as opposed to the pad.

PiPpY
06-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Nick, what are the products you use the most?

Any brand is cool, I am not a 3M zealot. ;)

imported_WCD
06-25-2004, 12:49 AM
(I hear Winner`s Choice- I think- sells them "cleaned", and you can get clean white 4" pads from CMA, too as I recall).

Winner`s Circle just for clarification. Cyclo is now shipping pads with the foam sides facing each other in an attempt to rid the white pads of the black slubs. Coincidently, my brother who has detailed planes with a Cyclo for over 5 years swears that the slubs do nothing harmful...of course, he is working on planes, not cars.

Anyhow, just wanted to clarify that Winner`s Circle is the sponsor and the one who brushes them out as best as possible.

Thanks,

Robert Regan

Accumulator
06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
WCD- Oops, Winner`s CIRCLE, my bad :o Should`ve looked it up instead of relying on my memory.

And yeah, regarding the slubs, all paints are not equal when it comes to hardness. As I try to get across, just because the slubs marred the (very soft) lacquer on my Jag, that doesn`t mean they`d do the same to a harder finish. But I don`t mind erring on the side of caution with that issue either. It`s sorta frustrating to get to the LSP part of the detail and then have to go back and remove fresh marring with abrasives all over again.

Nick Chronis
06-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by PiPpY

Nick, what are the products you use the most?

Any brand is cool, I am not a 3M zealot. ;)

Lately I`ve been diggin` the Poorboys products. Specifically the SSR2.5, SSR1, EX-P sealant, and the Natty Wax as a topper. Another favorite is the Menzerna IP. I like P21s and Pinnacle Souveran, although I personally don`t see a difference between the 2, and the S100(same as the P21s) is quite a bit cheaper.

Use what you have first and see what results you`re getting. Play around with different product/pad combinations. Read other autopian`s reviews of products and if you have the spare change try a couple. The most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!! Don`t be discouraged if your first attempt with a new product doesn`t give you the desired result. Often you may have to use a different technique, pad, or speed. Experiment!! And post pics when you achieve autopian nirvana. :)

PiPpY
06-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Last question. Who sells VM and Poorboys?

I have searched and cant find it.

Also, my Cyclo came from Robert Regan at Winner`s Circle.

He is a great guy to do business with. :) He even gave me free loot :D

Nick Chronis
06-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by PiPpY

Last question. Who sells VM and Poorboys?

I have searched and cant find it.

Also, my Cyclo came from Robert Regan at Winner`s Circle.

He is a great guy to do business with. :) He even gave me free loot :D

www.specialtymotoring.com sells both of them.

And yes, Robert Regan is a GREAT guy to deal with. Got my Cyclo from there.

PiPpY
06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks NickC, I had been looking for that for an hour!