PDA

View Full Version : Want a plan of action in a kit?

Black04FX4
06-23-2004, 10:48 PM
I have a black 04 Ford F-150 FX4. I really like the deep dark liquidy wet looking surface. What can I use to get that look. I have nothing at all to start with as far as wax and wash stuff. I want to do everything by hand, so easy on easy off is a must.

I need:

car wash

polish (for light swirl removal and surface prep)

sealant(protection for about 3 months but no plastic look)

wax (need that deep liquid look)

MF WW drying towel(who makes the best pakshak is out)

MF polishing cloths

Applicators (foam or MF???)

wash mitt

interrior protectant/cleaner for dash(like that satin look)

wheel cleaner(brake dust bad on 18" Aluminum clearcoat rims)

Do I really need to clay a new paint job?

I would like this to be really 2 kits I could buy to get the desired look. I need it to stay around $100 for everything.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I have a black 04 Ford F-150 FX4. I really like the deep dark liquidy wet looking surface. What can I use to get that look. I have nothing at all to start with as far as wax and wash stuff.

I need:

car wash QEW or for a conventional wash, the NXT wash has gotten some good reviews and is reasonably priced

polish (for light swirl removal and surface prep)If it is light and by hand, then 1z MP or ScratchX would be yourbest bet

sealant(protection for about 3 months but no plastic look) I think either Poorboys EX-P or Wolfgang would be your best bet there and I would also say use AIO as a base for it

wax (need that deep liquid look) I would recommend souveran, but your budget rules that out so S100

MF WW drying towel(who makes the best pakshak is out)exceldetail.com, the autopia store, autogeek - they all have a great product

MF polishing cloths see above

Applicators (foam or MF???) generally foam, but I would say a terry applicator to polish by hand

wash mitt see WW and MF recommendations, wool mitt or chennile - its a preference thing but either is fine

interrior protectant/cleaner for dash(like that satin look) 303 Aerospace protectant

wheel cleaner(brake dust bad on 18" Aluminum clearcoat rims) I like EO A2Z

Do I really need to clay a new paint job? yes, you will be surprised at what comes up

I would like this to be really 2 kits I could buy to get the desired look. I need it to stay around $100 for everything. Your budget is pretty tight for all of the above, but if you stick to the basics, you should be right!

Black04FX4
06-23-2004, 11:29 PM
What clay bar do you recommend?

6cyl's_of_fury
06-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Well if you are spending here at Autopia, the clay bar they have on offer for $6 is a winner :xyxthumbs

Black04FX4
06-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Is there one place I can get the major stuff like the polish, wax, sealant?

dcswd
06-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Here are some things I might suggest....

car wash: NXT wash from a store: $7

polish (for light swirl removal and surface prep): 1z MP from autopia store: $13

sealant: Ive only tried Ex-P, but Wolfgang has gotten great reviews also. Ex-P is $15 from poorboysworld.com

wax (need that deep liquid look): S100 from a Harley Davidson Store (look at their online dealership locator) $14?

MF WW drying towel: get at least 2 from any vendor listed on this website

MF polishing cloths: same as above, I would get around 10 to start off.

Applicators (foam or MF???): I life foam

wash mitt: I like genunie wool wash mitts, but get what you like the best: $8~

interrior protectant/cleaner for dash(like that satin look): 303 protectant: $12?+

wheel cleaner(brake dust bad on 18" Aluminum clearcoat rims): EO A2Z: $6?

That puts you at $75 + tax and shipping for the products. Then you would still need more money for the microfibers and applicators.