PDA

View Full Version : SSR1 vs. VM

maecrispy
06-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Hi all,

Looking to cut down on material costs for jobs so I want to start buying in bulk. VM is currently my goto cleaner/glaze before my LSP. However, I can`t seem to find it in gallon sizes. I`m considering SSR1 as a substitue since I hear good things about it and it`s readily available in large sizes.

Can those of you with experience with both chime in on how the two compare with respect to the following?:

Cleaning (i.e. chemical, oxidation removal, etc..)

Repair (I believe VM is non-abrasive and SSR1 is slightly abrasive)

Filling

Finish (glossy, wet, etc...)

Thanks all!

Scottwax
06-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Vanilla Moose is more directly comparible to Poorboy`s Professional Polish or Polish w/carnauba, both of which are available in gallon size. SSR1 is closer to Meguiars #9.

maecrispy
06-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the response Scottwax. The comparisons make it clear now where VM and SSR1 fit into the scheme of things. Looks like I`ll be adding PP, SSR1, and SSR2.5 to my aresenal.

I`m surprised there aren`t more responses actually. I was under the impression both VM and SSR1 are very popular and used by many.

imported_NHBFAN
06-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by maecrispy

Hi all,

Looking to cut down on material costs for jobs so I want to start buying in bulk

That`s why I buy PwC buy the gallon. VM is great, but buying by the pint with shipping fees are brutual.

I think the results between PwC and VM are negligible.

maecrispy
06-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Hmm.. this leads to the next question then. Are PwC and PP as easy to work with as VM? Part of VM`s attraction is how easy it goes on and comes off, even in sun.

imported_NHBFAN
06-27-2004, 10:52 PM
VM is possibly the easiest product I`ve ever used, but PwC is close.

Can`t really speak of PP. I have some, but haven`t had a chance to use it yet. From what I`ve read there`s a "learning curve" working with PP though.

maecrispy
06-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. I`ll probably pick both up and experiment then. I myself am probably one of the few freaks that don`t enjoy the carnauba look as much as the shiny sealant look so I`m hoping that PP will be a good substitue for VM. However, I do have to give what my clients want so it sounds like PwC deserves a place in my arsenal (especially given Steve`s reasonable prices.)

Thanks!

BRUN
07-06-2004, 08:58 AM
jus thought id add to this, a reply i got from Poorboys regarding the PWC and PP

"the Polish W/ Carnauba can be applied like a wax and will then do some filling, the Professional polish will hide nothing and actually show you all your defects."

i dont think VM is comparable to PP, probably more to PWC ?

and not that i know that much yet, bit of a n00b to all this, but ive read a lot, id say the PP is probably similar to SSR1

kartoon
07-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I haven`t used these yet, but it seems to me like PP is a non-abrasive cleaner, dare I say somewhat like AIO (although without providing any protection).

Perhaps the closest match for PP would be P21 Paintwork Cleanser ?

Polish w/Carnuba most likely can only be topped with a carnuba wax as the sealants probably won`t be able to bond.

Mr. Clean
07-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kartoon

Polish w/Carnuba most likely can only be topped with a carnuba wax as the sealants probably won`t be able to bond.

I`m pretty sure Scottwax and others top PWC with EX and EX-P, I believe both are considered sealants. Several members top CK`s VM with sealants.

tpgsr
07-06-2004, 11:10 AM
If you want lots of VM, call up Everett and ask for it by the case and what price he can give you that way

imported_COBRyan
07-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Clean

I`m pretty sure Scottwax and others top PWC with EX and EX-P, I believe both are considered sealants. Several members top CK`s VM with sealants.

I top PwC with EX-P, EX, S100, #16, CM, pretty much anything. I do the same with VM.

Scott P
07-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by kartoon

PwC takes most toppers quite well. It gies a nice look on silver and white when combined with EX or especially EX-P.