PDA

View Full Version : Product Selection?

pjfreak
06-23-2004, 02:55 PM
I going to purchase a PC and I have some questions as to what products I should use on my car. I have some light swirls and a couple minor scratches I would like to remove. I have a 2000 black TA and you know how black shows everything.

Currently I use Zanio and have no problem switch to something else. Can I use these products with the PC?

I`ve been searching and reading in the forums and I`m confused on which products to use. I know everyone has "their opinions" and there is no "perfect" product for every job. I would like to hear your suggestions if anyone cares to share.

I was thinking along the lines of this:

Wash Car

Clay

Meguiar`s No. 9 Swirl Remover

Wash

Fav Wax

OR

Wash car

Clay

Menzerna Intensive Polish

Menzerna Final Polish

Wash

Favorite Wax

What products do you suggest applying with the PC, and in what order do I do this?

TIA

6cyl's_of_fury
06-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Option 2 for me, I find it works well on my car, but there is no need to wash after the Menzerna twins. I would also suggest claying while washing and then rinsing off any residue as a normal course of your wash. I would apply the Menzerna twins by PC with a polishing pad, and if you decide to go with a glaze, you can do it by finishing pad. Wax I prefer by hand, particularly paste waxes which I have recommended.

One suggestion I would have is that you use Klasse AIO ( or something of a "glaze" nature - VM, GEPC, #7 etc ) as a base for your wax, it provides an awesome finish IMO. I’d recommend S100, #16 or Souveran depending on how deep your pockets are and how durable you want the wax to be. Souveran is truly a beauty wax but expensive and not the worlds most durable, S100 is a pretty good compromise on cost/beauty/durability and #16 is the more durable of the bunch and still a pretty good looking wax for the price. Just be aware that they will not have the longevity of Zaino, so re-application will be more frequent.

pjfreak
06-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 6cyl`s_of_fury

Option 2 for me, I find it works well on my car, but there is no need to wash after the Menzerna twins. I would also suggest claying while washing and then rinsing off any residue as a normal course of your wash. I would apply the Menzerna twins by PC with a polishing pad, and if you decide to go with a glaze, you can do it by finishing pad. Wax I prefer by hand, particularly paste waxes which I have recommended.

One suggestion I would have is that you use Klasse AIO ( or something of a "glaze" nature - VM, GEPC, #7 etc ) as a base for your wax, it provides an awesome finish IMO. I’d recommend S100, #16 or Souveran depending on how deep your pockets are and how durable you want the wax to be. Souveran is truly a beauty wax but expensive and not the worlds most durable, S100 is a pretty good compromise on cost/beauty/durability and #16 is the more durable of the bunch and still a pretty good looking wax for the price. Just be aware that they will not have the longevity of Zaino, so re-application will be more frequent.

Awesome! Thanks for your help! I`m new to this and I don`t want to mess up my paint so I`m trying to learn as much as I can.

Can I apply the Menzerna twins (with a little practive) with a PC and not harm my paint if I`m fairly new to this?

After I apply the Menzerna twins I can apply a glaze or a wax over the top without washing the car and the wax will hold?

Also one last thing. Can I apply these products over the "plastic" panels and front end of the trans am?

Again thanks for the help!

PFDarkside
06-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by pjfreak

Can I apply the Menzerna twins (with a little practive) with a PC and not harm my paint if I`m fairly new to this?

After I apply the Menzerna twins I can apply a glaze or a wax over the top without washing the car and the wax will hold?

Also one last thing. Can I apply these products over the "plastic" panels and front end of the trans am?

Again thanks for the help!

Yes, yes and yes. :)

The PC is surprisingly easy to use. I used DACP and #9, but I have to assume Menzerna is very similar. Also, Menzerna doesn`t have fillers, so you`re going to have a clean surface to apply LSPs on. I also have a T/A and the PC worked well on the plastic. But when you think about it, the only metal pieces on the car are the rear quarters, headlamps and non-WS6 hood.

pjfreak
06-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by PFDarkside

Yes, yes and yes. :)

The PC is surprisingly easy to use. I used DACP and #9, but I have to assume Menzerna is very similar. Also, Menzerna doesn`t have fillers, so you`re going to have a clean surface to apply LSPs on. I also have a T/A and the PC worked well on the plastic. But when you think about it, the only metal pieces on the car are the rear quarters, headlamps and non-WS6 hood.

Good deal!

I`m thinking I need to use a yellow pad and grey pad for the Menzerna twins. Any suggestions on speed for applying the product?

Does this procedure remove part of the clearcoat?

pjfreak
06-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Bump

6cyl's_of_fury
06-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by pjfreak

Good deal!

I`m thinking I need to use a yellow pad and grey pad for the Menzerna twins. Any suggestions on speed for applying the product?

Does this procedure remove part of the clearcoat?

I would use the FP with a polishing pad, and if thats not aggressive enough to remove your swirls/marring, then I would go to IP with a polishing pad. Personally, I dont thin you need to go as aggressive as a cutting pad in most cases, but you *may* find that you need to go to IP with a cutting pad, but leave that as a VERY last resort! And always follow up the IP with a pass on the FP. The grey pad ( finishing pad Im assuming ) should only be used to apply products such as wax or sealants IMO ( the last step products - LSP`s .

Speed, I would start out slow (3) to spread the product so it doesnt sling everywhere, then wind it uo to 5 or 6.

And yes, it iwll remove a small amount of your clearcoat, but unless you polishing everyday, it is not a problem. We are talking like 1/100th of a micron removal kind of small. So dont stress about it too much :)

wanabe
06-25-2004, 10:51 AM
posted with permission from the owner of classic motoring site (properauto.com):

<<

We don`t really know how long a clearcoat will last, but to our knowledge it should never wear off (except when

compounding and, hopefully, you wouldn`t compound through it). How long does paint last? Clearcoat should

be right along with it. So, you should never see color on your pads or rags.

Hope this helps you.

>>