PDA

View Full Version : How come....

imported_fireberd350
06-23-2004, 02:44 PM
I see a lot of people taking their pictures with the flash off. Or worse taking the before pics with the flash on or in the direct sunlight and comparing them to after shots in the shade under a tree.

Don`t get me wrong the pics usually look amazing, but its not a fair comparison. With the flash on or direct sunlight you can see the imperfections 100x`s more. I know taking a close up picture of the paint with the flash on does not look like much but it says a lot more. However if the before and after pics are both in identical situations (flash or not) then thats fine.

Not to sound like a skepticist but I could take a pic of a swirled up black car in the sun and do nothing else but back it under a tree and take another picture and just from comparing pictures alone I`d probably be able to fool people into believing I worked some sort of magic on the paint :o

I love looking at some of the amazing work people have done only to have the results spoiled by an unfair comparison.

Chcltbrthr
06-23-2004, 03:12 PM
I can speak for myself and say im new to trying to photograph how good or bad a finish is, the more I read and look at pics n this forum the more it becomes clear on how it should be done, photography is a skill that must be learned to do correctly, Im guilty of taking a couple of pics with the flash of and on, not on purpose but out of not knowing, like I said I dont think people do it to try and fool anyone I just think its done out of just trying to capture the finish in the best light, If it hadnt been for Scottwax asking me to get my car out in the sun and take the pics I never would have really thought about it:) By the way your GN looks great, I used to work for RAN-KIN Automotive here in CT, they did stricly GNs, one of the owners currently runs 8.60 @ some crazy mph on a huge single turbo setup

imported_fireberd350
06-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the compliments.

I just want to clarify that I too take pictures of my car is the shade or not in direct light. I do not want anyone thinkin I am against that because those pictures are always the ones that make the cars look amazing.

However, when comparing progress on swirls or oxidation you need a completely different (usually less attractive) picture that more clearly shows the progress made.

Side note: I`ve seen some of the pictures Scottwax has posted(who hasn`t ;) ) and they look great. I still have not mastered the art of taking "nice" photos in direct sunlight. I always seem to get ugly glares and whatnot. My car/truck always look so good everytime I clean them I end up taking more pictures of them! So I get plenty of practice:D If I ever get a decent one I`ll be sure to share.

Here`s an sample of some bad before after comparision I took. If I known they were so blurry I would have re-took them

Before

https://cms.psu.edu/AngelUploads/Files/sfm129/143510698olxMbY_fs.jpeg

After

https://cms.psu.edu/AngelUploads/Files/sfm129/af143511052jsxdKE_fs.jpeg

phoenix808
06-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Consistency should be observed, always, for fair comparision. However, the flashes in digital cameras are quite putrid. They`re often times too weak, and only serve to change the color/white balance.

Every digital camera I`ve ever used (consumer, pro-sumer) I`ve turned off the interal flash. Now external, add-on flashes are different. But all in all, if you`re shooting in a dark garage, use your work lights as your flashes. You won`t get ugly, glaring flares on your paint job, but still illuminating the finish.

Oh, and be careful what you spot meter on too (usually involves pressing shutter button halfway down, also autofocuses), if you spot on a dark car, it`ll set the exposure way too high. Try to find something in the room that is neutral grey, hold the shutter half way, and then (still half-holding) move to what you`re going to shoot.

Sorry for being long winded... hope it helps some :)

imported_fireberd350
06-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Any tips for taking pictures at dusk? Once the sun starts to set, yet still plenty of sunlight, I cannot get a picture of anything. It alsways comes out way to dark (almost like it was night time) Yet there is still plenty of light, any ideas?

ZaneO
06-24-2004, 03:25 PM
At dusk, make sure the light source is behind you when tkaing the picture and adjust the camera angle to capture the best lighting.