PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhhhhhh, I`m an idiot....

Prometheus
06-23-2004, 09:25 AM
So, yesterday my dad and i were screwing around with my car in the garage (installing a tach and some other stuff), and a coupla nasty things happened. First, when dad tried to drive it up on the ramps, he over shot and drove right over them... the car ended up being perched on the ramps just behind the wheel well. I dont think it dad any real damage, just chipped the paint a little.

Now for my screw up... I was backing it out of the garage, and mom`s van was right behind my car, so i swung out the back end to miss the van and what happens? I smoke the side of the garage. so now i`ve got a nice 2x2 inch patch on my bumper where there is no clear. It didnt go through the paint, there is just a big bald patch with some scratches in it. Can i fix this by sanding and then painting it? Will it look half way decent or should i just leave it and say screw it (i think i already know the answer to that one). Any input on fixing a scuff like this would be greatly appreciated. Ill get pics soon as i can.

Accumulator
06-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Yikes, sorry to hear about that. As you sorta suspect, that`s something that can only be fixed with a paintgun. Get a pro to reshoot it, shouldn`t cost much.

Bill D
06-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Yikes! bad memories are now coming back for me of the time my car fell off ramps, punctured one of them luckily the car was fine :scared:

Prometheus
06-24-2004, 08:07 AM
I might just have the whole bumper redone. Its kinda crappy looking anyway. Oh well, so much for that.

PFDarkside
06-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Prometheus

I smoke the side of the garage.

I thought I was the only one that used "smoke" as a verb. ;) Sorry to hear of your misfortunes...

Prometheus
06-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Im pretty sure the use of smoke as a verb is just a michigan thing. Anywhere else i use it i get really wierd looks

s2skimon
06-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Yikes, sorry to hear about that. As you sorta suspect, that`s something that can only be fixed with a paintgun. Get a pro to reshoot it, shouldn`t cost much.

I agree

msgachau
06-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Prometheus

Im pretty sure the use of smoke as a verb is just a michigan thing. Anywhere else i use it i get really wierd looks

I thought the use of "smoked" was a common term everyone used. I guess not. Maybe it`s just Michigan and where I live.

ALAN81
06-27-2004, 04:29 PM
LOOK if I were to post what I did in my life you would say BOY that guys a REAL IDIOT so dont feel bad

msgachau
06-28-2004, 02:01 AM
I`m pretty sure that everyone has done tons of stupid things throughout their lives. If they say that haven`t then either they don`t want to admit the truth or they never try anything new. The only reason older people are more mature or poised is because they`ve already done the stupid things we`ve done and have learnt from it.

And driving my car up ramps still freaks the hell out of me everytime. Does anybody know a safer way to do it? It seems like such a fine line of gas and clutch and slamming on the brake at the right time. There must be an easier way.

Aurora
06-28-2004, 02:09 AM
Hey here`s something stupid. Yesterday at work(same for five years) I decided to go through a door a few mm too short with a ten foot high stack of arrowhead bottles... I never heard the end of that one. RUN, HE`S DRIVING A PALLET JACK! DO YOU NEED YOUR B.A.C. CHECKED? Just things we do everyday.

shaf
06-28-2004, 03:56 AM
Glad you are okay Prometheus....

Originally posted by msgachau

I thought the use of "smoked" was a common term everyone used. I guess not. Maybe it`s just Michigan and where I live. :rofl Must be a "Michigan and Canada thing" - I`ve heard the verb "to smoke" quite often here. Generically it seems to mean "strike".

Originally posted by msgachau

And driving my car up ramps still freaks the hell out of me everytime. Does anybody know a safer way to do it? It seems like such a fine line of gas and clutch and slamming on the brake at the right time. There must be an easier way. I bought a set of Rhino Ramps from the recommendation of people here and at other forums. They work pretty well, and have a nice big lip on the end to help prevent overshoots. Other ramps I have seen do not have as large a lip or it is sloped more (making it easier to go over).

http://www.appealingtools.com/blitz-rhinoramps-8000-lb.-gvw-capacity.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/blitusarhinr.html

Still, I tend to use more clutch slippage than usual to get it up the ramps without going too fast. If you`re really worried, you could try doing some measurements and put some wooden blocks on the floor where the rear wheels should stop. I don`t know if this really works, but it sounds like it might.

Prometheus
06-28-2004, 08:46 AM
I finally said screw the ramps and just got some 3 ton jack stands. Much safer that way, and make me feel a lot more comfortable. I just ended up jacking up the car and setting the jack stands under the a arms. Lot less scary.

More fun stuff happened yesterday though (wasn`t even my fault this time). I was detailing my interior, went in for a few him, and my sister says "what happened to the car window?" I was thinking oh *$%&%, but it was my dads car and not mine. Some arse hole walked up to my dads car in broad day light and smashed in his rear door window. Gone, shattered. Never seen such a mess of a car window before. Man people are arse holes. What a pain.

shaf
06-29-2004, 01:02 AM
:eek: You what a crazy week you`ve been having.

Prometheus
06-29-2004, 01:03 PM
no kidding