PDA

View Full Version : My first shopping list...& lots of ?`s

rockstar_style
06-22-2004, 10:10 PM
I always thought I took good care of my cars until I stumbled on this site...wow...and wow. I`m in the same boat as all of you. Spring is the beginning of Car Care season for me (I`m from WI). I`m definitely amateur though; I thought I was badass using Meguiar`s Deep Crystal system until I came here. :bow But I`ve got the attention to detail, motivation, and love of cars that we all share. Here are my questions:

1. 3 cars...3 different requirements:

- `96 VW Jetta burgandy metallic car that sits outside 24/7 and is in a bird bombing range. It requires long-lasting and durable protection as #1 priority. Paint is in decent condition; some scratches & swirls (I think I`m using that term wrong. The swirls are not the result of machine buffing.)

- `00 Honda Accord coupe silver metallic car that is garaged at night, but driven to work 50 miles round trip on interstate. Protection & beauty are even in priority. Paint is in pretty good shape; the usual road nicks; can`t see swirl marks.

- my baby: `94 Mustang Cobra bright red convertible garaged when not in use, stored winters with car cover and only driven about 2500 miles/year. Beauty the obvious priority. Paint is decent for a 10 year old car; visible swirl marks.

2. I have a Waxmaster orbital buffer (don`t laugh) from Fleet Farm that my in-laws bought me. I use it only to apply and remove wax. Can this be used effectively for anything else? Is the PC hard to use? I do plan on eventually getting one (maybe sooner if some of the products I`ve listed require it).

Here`s what I came up with:

- Exterior-

1Z Perls (Mustang); Meguiar`s Gold Class (VW & Honda)

Clay Magic

Klasse AIO (all)

Klasse SG (Mustang)

Souveran or P21S (Mustang); 1Z Glanz (VW & Honda)

- Interior-

Woolite/water solution (VW & Honda)

Meguiars GC leather cleaner/conditioner (Mustang)

*need advice on interior dressing products...I like the matte look; haven`t found anything that I`ve fallen in love with.

- Wheels/Tires-

Meguiar`s Endurance High Gloss (all)...I like this stuff

Meguiar`s Hot rims (all-occasional)...they look ok just after a wash... maybe I`m missing out?

- convertible top-

*need advice

Is anything here overkill? What would some of you do differently?

I`ve spent a few weeks reading posts and how-to`s, so I`m a bit more informed than when I started here. The products I`ve listed were strictly based on recommendations of articles I`ve read. The polishing/glazing area is the most confusing to me with all the options and such. I started shopping here on Autopia, but when I saw my total go over $200, I decided to get some expert 2nd opinions before dropping that kind of cash. Many, many thanks to anybody who takes the time to answer yet another one of "those newbie posts."

LouisanaJeeper
06-22-2004, 10:16 PM
overall, looks fine to me

might want to consider SG for all cars for durability

replace the P21S w/S100 relabled package, but cheaper and identical

303 is a SATIN dressing, "Cockpit Premium" is a completelt FLAT dressing

OI812
06-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Where in WI. are you from

ZaneO
06-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Yes, for greatest durability use SG on all cars and S100 to top if you feel the need.

The PC is pretty much a piece of cake. Do yourself a favor and get one. You`ll love it. I really like Menzerna polishes to go with it.

Convertible top - use Ragg Topp cleaner and conditioner

rockstar_style
06-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Cheaper but identical is music to my ears.

I`m from Manitowoc.

imported_gsrjedi
06-22-2004, 11:18 PM
You shouldn`t need a PC to apply any of those items, BUT, you`ve listed no items to address the swirls you mentioned. For those, a PC would make the work much easier.

Some SMRs are designed to fill in and hide the swirls for a short period of time. SMRs such as 3M Swirl-Mark Remover, and Meg`s #9 Swirl Mark Remover 2.0. By hand these work good, but you`ll start to see the swirls show up again.

To not just hide them but remove them, you need something more aggressive. Most of the time, it`s best to follow the aggressive product up with something less aggressive. Some combos would be - Meg`s #83 DACP>Meg`s #82 SFP; PB`s SSR3/2.5/2>PB`s SSR1; Menzerna IP>Menzerna FP; 1Z UPP/PP>PP/MP. I hear the 1Z products are easy to use by hand and can get fairly good results that way. I`ve also heard this about the PB`s products as well.

I agree with using SG for all the vehicles for durability. That can also save you some money, if you decide not to top the VW & Honda, then you can just buy Souveran for the `Stang.

sgriffith
06-22-2004, 11:45 PM
I also have the exact model of waxmaster that rockstar_style has.....again, no laughing!! I have a 99 black RX300 and need something stronger than what I have been using to get the swirls out. I am interested in the menzerna products...but noticed they are desinged to be used with a PC. As I don`t have the $$ to drop on a PC at this time, would the IP be effective if used with my current buffer...or would I likely do damage to the paint? Also glad to know that the S100 is the same as the P21S...that is what I had planned on using to top everything off.

Here is what I have planned to do to the car....if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them:

1. Clay

2. Menzerma IP

3. Menzerma FP

4. Klasse SG (probably multiple coats)

5. S100

I do plan on getting the PC before too long...but my wife already thinks I am nuts about maintaining the car! So, I will have to convince her!!:o

rockstar_style
06-23-2004, 07:09 AM
What about my sweet-action Waxmaster? Can it be used with any of these products? My guess is that if I can get decent results by hand then the buffer will give me at least the same results, but save me a lot of time.

imported_Macgirl
06-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Read this article (http://www.roadfly.org/milemarker/7/porter_cable_buffer.1.html) for a rundown on the Porter Cable and it`s qualities. If you have the money then it is a very good investment for detailing. Check out Coastal Tool or Detailer`s Paradise for the best deals on the PC.

As for product selection, you definitely need a polish in there to get your surfaces ready for the last step. Check out Meg`s #80 Speed Glaze (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_list.cfm?store=pro&line=proauto&catagory=3&subcatagory=1) or einszett Paint Polish (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+ufAdJU+1z-930306.html+). Both are easy to use by hand or machine and produce excellent results. Then you can go with the Klasse, but if you are truly getting the bug then you will eventually want to branch out and try other things!

Do you have MF towels? Gotta have a few of those. Check out the new SONUS towels (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+ufAdJU+towels---chamois.html+). I love the drying towels and the polishing towels.

Do get some 303 Aerospace Protectant. Best protectant for the interior, has a matte finish which is great for the dash and UV protection also.

If you want the P21S then go to a Harley Davidson dealer and pick up a jar of S100 wax.

kartoon
06-23-2004, 07:58 AM
sgriffith, I would add the following step:

3.5 AIO

That should clean the paint nicely and prepare it for SG.

I hear you about convincing wife. She says the car looks good - just wash it once a month.

Glossequation
06-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by rockstar_style

- my baby: `94 Mustang Cobra bright red convertible garaged when not in use, stored winters with car cover and only driven about 2500 miles/year. Beauty the obvious priority. Paint is decent for a 10 year old car; visible swirl marks.

Ahh, how I miss my `96 Snake...Mine was a garage queen as well, seeing an average of 4,000 miles per year for the three years I had her.

For this (if you wanted to try other products), I would:

1. Clay

2. 3M PI-III Machine Glaze with cutting pad and/or polishing pad

3. Top with #26 (durability is not an issue for you, otherwise I`d say #16)

sgriffith
06-24-2004, 12:18 AM
I hear ya kartoon....she still doesn`t get why I start it in the morning and finish up around 4. I keep telling her it is b/c of all the years she took it to the local car wash and used their brushes. They should outlaw those things.