PDA

View Full Version : porter cable substitutes?

imported_aharami
06-22-2004, 10:30 AM
new to this forum so i dunno if this is the right place to post this. i `ve finally decided to detail my car and do it right...and got pointed to this place by some members in forums.anandtech.com

anyways, I know PC random orbital polisher is awesome...but are there any close substitutes for it that doesnt cost as much? dishing out $130+ on one item is a bit too much for me. I think i saw one in Pepboys (dont recall the brand name) that was $30.00. Basically which are good...and which should i stay away from (the ones that could mess up my paint job)

also this is the place that got me interested in detailing (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158378) itself. I read this thread from top to bottom...and was gonna follow his methods b4 i found this place. Now that I have a bunch of pros here, should i follow his method? thanks

also, any help....greatly appreciated:confused:

imported_aharami
06-22-2004, 11:23 AM
no takers?

togwt
06-22-2004, 11:28 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

That post is a long as some of the chapters in my book (when I`ve finished reading it I`ll let you know how good the advice is, although I`m sure its probaly correct, but as a comparison most other detailing forums are `high school, Autiopia is `university`)

I would advise reading the following along with DavidB’s e-detailing book

How to use the Porter-Cable 7424 Polisher DavidB

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-pc7424.html

PC Accessoires

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

togwt
06-22-2004, 11:34 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

A PC (porter cable) can be had for approx $110 + you’ll need a backing plate and foam pads, having said that there are a lot of great product out there that can be used by hand with good results (see posts / pics by Scottwax, although I’ll admit very few if any at all can accomplish his results by hand)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

imported_aharami
06-22-2004, 12:58 PM
thanks a lot TOGWT

David in the bimmerforums also linked to autopia.org and hailed David B. as the detailing guru.

I am reading thru David B`s detailing ebook now...but its long as hell. interesting stuff though...i never knew most of this stuff.

David in bimmerforums lays out the general detailing process as Wash, Clay, Polish, mild polish, Clean, Seal and/or Wax. is that right...thats more or less what i wanted to know.

I guess i`ll go read the ebook some more

ALAN81
06-22-2004, 04:10 PM
This is simple to answer ..........DON`T try to buy something to sub the PC.YEA I know 130 smackers but This product is really a great machine and you can controll the speads the cheaper models (which I always look at)don`t do the job.WAIT save up hit up the parents ask the grandparents you wont be sorry

imported_jaobrien6
06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
I have used a cheaper orbital buffer (~$30 craftsman) and I`ve used a PC and would recommend saving up the money for a good quality tool like the PC (dewalt also makes one that several members here use but it`s more than the PC).

Some of the main advantages you get over the cheap buffers:

1. More powerful motor. On the cheap buffers, the it might orbit at a high rate of speed, but since the motor will be much weaker, if you bear down at all on the machine they start to lug and stop.

2. Interchangeable pads. The cheap buffers have a permanently attached pad. This means that with the cheap buffer you can`t switch from a cutting pad to a polishing pad to a finishing pad as you progress through your detailing routine. Plus, you can`t have multiple polishing pads at your disposal in case your current pad gets caked with product.

3. High quality pads. With a PC and a velcro backing plate, you can choose from high quality pads from several manufacturers that are specifically designed for professional auto polishing and for specific tasks in the process. With the cheap buffer, you have the pad that it comes with and an assortment of bonnets. IMO, they are of much lower quality than most of the products you can get for the PC.

IMO, the only task that the cheap buffers can perform adequately is wax application (and removal if you use a MF bonnet, I don`t trust any of the terry bonnets I`ve found for the larger, cheaper orbitals); they are not powerful enough to adequately polish.

This question gets asked time and time again by people hoping not to lay out the cash for a PC. My recommendation, do it by hand until you have the cash for the PC because the cheaper options just aren`t up to the task.

John

Nick Chronis
06-22-2004, 05:11 PM
What you`ll spend in pads and products throughout the course of a year once you get addicted will make what you spend on the PC look like peanuts.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Look for a random orbital sander that has variable speeds.

In Australia, I have a Hitachi FSV13Y, but I am not sure of an American equivilent etc.

imported_eggroll
06-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Nickc

What you`ll spend in pads and products throughout the course of a year once you get addicted will make what you spend on the PC look like peanuts.

haha. Yup at about $10 a pad you will be hurting. I have about 10 of them.

ACURA95
06-22-2004, 07:19 PM
I couldnt have said it better myself. Im a newbee when it comes to detailing starting and Im slowly building my arsenal

The price I paid for the PC really seams insignificant.

Aharami if you have the money and your just trying to save a couple of bucks, just buy the PC. Your going to waste more money trying to buy a substitute.

imported_aharami
06-23-2004, 07:03 AM
OK...PC it is. not that i dont have the money, but i feel a little squeamish about spending 130 on something i`ll use twice a year. but PC it is. thanks guys.

such is the price for perfection

imported_aharami
06-23-2004, 07:05 AM
TOGWT, whats your verdict on the advice given in the lenghty post from David in bimmerforums? (see my original post)

should i follow his method and the products he recommends?