PDA

View Full Version : Do Fillers Work for Hiding Scratches/Swirls?

Pages : [1] 2

WAX2MUCH
06-22-2004, 10:09 AM
I have tried a few swirl remover and glaze type products which claim to fill in (hide) swirls, but I really have not been impressed.

Does anyone have a product recommendation or do these "fillers" even work?

Thanks.

fusionnv
06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by softball nut

I have tried a few swirl remover and glaze type products which claim to fill in (hide) swirls, but I really have not been impressed.

Does anyone have a product recommendation or do these "fillers" even work?

Thanks.

They sometimes work or at least lessen the appearance of them. They eventually wash off though. I know scratch x by megs is pretty good at that. I used poorboys with very good results but that doesn`t have fillers in it.

togwt
06-22-2004, 10:33 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Zymol glaze was originally formulated for vintage type cars and they ‘fill-in’ surface imperfections really well (at a price though) and like all glazes it will only last one or two washes (but for show cars they only need to ‘last’ for the day of the event anyway, removing swirls etc on these antique cars is not usually an option)

Just curious, why not remove them?

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

WAX2MUCH
06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the replies....I have some stubborn swirls/fine scratches that I have not been able to remove and I don`t want to get too aggressive with the clearcoat. The idea of hiding them with a glaze or wax was what I was looking for.

Lowejackson
06-23-2004, 12:33 PM
A glaze is very good on minor swirls or imperfections but the best long term solution is to polish them out.

Depending on the status of the swirls, you should not overly worry about being to aggressive depending of course on the materials used.

imported_Sullybob
06-23-2004, 12:45 PM
In this tread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38782

theveed talks about a product that fills in clear coats.

He says

They also have this product (around 2 years old) that you apply on the paint like a wax, but it is actually a clearcoat like product that fills in swirls almost permanently. I`ve tried it on my Corolla before and sure enough, the swirls were gone after application, I washed the surface several times with our local version of Dawn, alcohol wipe, etc... The swirls were really filled. A bit hard to use but well worth it

Might be worth looking into.

Buick_guy
06-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Sullybob

In this tread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38782

theveed talks about a product that fills in clear coats.

He says

Might be worth looking into.

Chrysler made that kinda stuff back in 98 for their cars, and I tried it and hated it... You might have different results though.

imported_Intel486
06-23-2004, 10:47 PM
The best thing is to learn how to polish the swirls out but before you do that, learn the best way to prevent the swirls and keep them to a minimum.

In the way of filling, glazes are there for that. I`ve had a chance to try a few and my favorite so far is One Grand Omega glaze. It`s very greasy so you`ll want microfiber towels to mess with it. It will only do pretty minor swirling though.

Lowejackson
06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
The One Grand Glaze & Blitz is still one of my favourite combinations.

s2skimon
06-25-2004, 09:13 AM
i use my machine for this type of work for sure

pc > #83 DACP > Orange Pad

works wonderfully..

due to times where there are some deeper swirls.. I get another Orange Pad and use 3M FCC

Accumulator
06-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Buick_guy

Chrysler made that kinda stuff back in 98 for their cars, and I tried it and hated it... You might have different results though.

If it was a "Mopar" brand car-care product, I suspect it was made by AutoInt/ValueGuard.

I am kinda curious about a solid answer to the "what fills?" question, though. While I like to remove the marring from most of my vehicles, sometimes there just isn`t enough paint to keep doing it. We`re always talking about how a car "looked great but then all these awful swirls came back" after time/washing...well, what products make such an awful finish look OK? :nixweiss Nothing I`ve ever used really filled much of anything, at least in my eyes.

leftturn
06-25-2004, 11:06 AM
I somewhat agree that filling swirls is probably the best thing to do as a swirl mitigation procedure. I still polish my cars to remove contaminants and minor swirls but I try to do it as infrequetly as possible. I have tried that swirl filler that was metioned earlier in this thread. It is called Krizz Clear (r) (pro). It seems to work pretty good but takes awhile to dry and cure. I use it like a glaze in that I sealer to lock it in. Then let that cure and follow with a carnuba wax. Carnubas seem to be able to hide the swirls even further. I also used a product called Fusso Caot 9. What I liked about this product is that all you do is wipe it on and let it cure. No buffing nessary. The idea was to use it on my "beater" car to minimize time spent but it also reduces the chances of introducing more swirls though the buffing process. I hope this helps.

WAX2MUCH
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Accumulator- you re-phrased my original question and asked it better than I did.....basically once you`ve done the "removal" process, is there a filler product that would help hide those stubborn swirls/fine scratches.

s2skimon
06-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by softball nut

Accumulator- you re-phrased my original question and asked it better than I did.....basically once you`ve done the "removal" process, is there a filler product that would help hide those stubborn swirls/fine scratches.

for those I use 3M FCC

WAX2MUCH
06-25-2004, 11:28 AM
I did not know 3M FCC contained fillers...I have used it and will re-visit it. Thanks.