PDA

View Full Version : A rational decision by a rational man.

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Yosemite Dan
06-22-2004, 01:07 AM
We went to a friends house tonite to have dinner. We finish eating and I have to go get something from the car and to my horror there are about 10 kids playing in the vicinity of my car parked in their driveway.:scared

I give the car the once over and no scratches. I get back inside and find myself constantly looking out the window to see what`s going on. There are beads of sweat on my forehead and I think I`m gonna start hyperventilating soon with no paper bags in sight. The conversation after dinner is a distraction as I`m trying to figure out how the hell I`m gonna get out of here and save my car as the kids circle like vultures around my defenceless vehicle waiting to run into it with their bikes and scooters.

After much consultation with myself I decide to feign sickness which is beleivable as I`m pretty quiet the whole time and have this look on my face that a 1st year Med student just gave me a prostate exam.

I go to the washroom and pretend to throw up, wouldn`t have to pretend if I had to stay there another hour. It works with the wife and we get out of there. Gave my car another once over and it seemed OK. As soon as we pulled

out this wave of relief came over me and I was in a happy place again even though it started raining as we left and the kids started going inside. Felt a little silly then. The worst part though is I had to fake being sick the rest of the night and that`s why I`m up right now posting this at 2 A.M. I`m sick and I can`t sleep. ;)

I think I was rational about this and that may be the scary part because I thought this was normal behavoir. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure I always say.

Has anybody else here had to think really fast to get your car out of a high risk situation? Were you proud of yourself or did you realize you were 5 cans short of a six pack? Thank you all for your understanding of my brush with disaster.

imported_eggroll
06-22-2004, 01:59 AM
The same thing happened to me. My car was parked in my driveway, I was inside and heard a loud bangs coming from the garage. I look outside and it seems all the neighborhood kids are gathering and having a huge game of basket ball, right across the street. I was constantly on the look out, debating if I should park the car at the other end of the block where it would be safe and just walk back. I finally decided to go somewhere and when I walked out, a kid was running towards my car as fast as he could to stop the ball from hitting my car. Grrrrr

Oh and my other neighbors play baseball in the street! They just hit it down the street without thinking of the other cars parked along the side of the street. I hate my neighbors....

3Wheeler
06-22-2004, 02:43 AM
Well, I`m new to detailing , so I don`t have any wild stories to tell (unlike Yosemite -- whoa belly! :eek: ).

But I`ll still toss a couple of pennies in.

First, I know my kids think I`ve gone a little haywire (well, at least I hope they think it`s only a little). The whole thing`s new to them too, of course. Drive around with their dad for a dozen years, then one day he gets a new car and -- zap -- life as they knew it is no more. Poor kids. I wonder who needs counselling -- them, me, or both.:confused: (Hey maybe us Vancouver area Autopians could get together on a group conselling rate!) The kids are coming `round though. I`m sure I saw signs of it (I admit I squinted a little, though). ;)

As to my second cent, I say that in our defense we need look no further than any other groups who share passion for something. Stamp collectors, china collectors, music collectors, Middle-Ages play acting groups -- the list goes on and on and on.

I bet some of those other guys are way weirder than us.

~3W

Mr Concours
06-22-2004, 02:53 AM
I now have a pager linked to my alarm to let me know if anyones hits it,I was getting really fed up with door dings,so now I should get a warning that something has happened and make the perp pay up.

Aurora
06-22-2004, 02:54 AM
Weird? Us? Wait, let me glance outside to check on the umm... nevermind

3Wheeler
06-22-2004, 03:48 AM
I`m laying down a conductive pad this week. Once it`s done, that`s where I park. It`ll have various electric current levels -- none lethal (unless things really got out of hand), but none pleasant by any means, either. Step on it, and you will be jolted. The voltage increases the longer you stay on the pad.

Now, the pad’s going to need a perimeter of some sort, to warn the intruder(s) of being shocked by electricity if they proceed. The perimeter`s design is almost done, just a couple more things to finish with. Here’re some of the o/s issues, for example.

How close to the intruder should we aim the automated perimeter weaponry’s warning fire? Should it too adjust (like the pad) the longer the culprits persist with their proximity?

Should we sell footage of the Intruders being repelled? I was thinking of selling only to members at first, then just playing it by ear after that.

So, I guess that’s that. Oh, by the way, it’d sure be great if there were any volunteers to help me test the pad. We need to dial-in the parking pad juice. Email me if you`re interested. ;)

SilverBelle04
06-22-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Yosemite Dan

We went to a friends house tonite to have dinner. We finish eating and I have to go get something from the car and to my horror there are about 10 kids playing in the vicinity of my car parked in their driveway.:scared

I give the car the once over and no scratches. I get back inside and find myself constantly looking out the window to see what`s going on. There are beads of sweat on my forehead and I think I`m gonna start hyperventilating soon with no paper bags in sight. The conversation after dinner is a distraction as I`m trying to figure out how the hell I`m gonna get out of here and save my car as the kids circle like vultures around my defenceless vehicle waiting to run into it with their bikes and scooters.

After much consultation with myself I decide to feign sickness which is beleivable as I`m pretty quiet the whole time and have this look on my face that a 1st year Med student just gave me a prostate exam.

I go to the washroom and pretend to throw up, wouldn`t have to pretend if I had to stay there another hour. It works with the wife and we get out of there. Gave my car another once over and it seemed OK. As soon as we pulled

out this wave of relief came over me and I was in a happy place again even though it started raining as we left and the kids started going inside. Felt a little silly then. The worst part though is I had to fake being sick the rest of the night and that`s why I`m up right now posting this at 2 A.M. I`m sick and I can`t sleep. ;)

I think I was rational about this and that may be the scary part because I thought this was normal behavoir. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure I always say.

Has anybody else here had to think really fast to get your car out of a high risk situation? Were you proud of yourself or did you realize you were 5 cans short of a six pack? Thank you all for your understanding of my brush with disaster.

:lol - this is hilarious !

but i can relate ;) and you did the right thing ! :xyxthumbs

Bob

imported_elortt
06-22-2004, 06:50 AM
From now on take her vehicle :lol

Eric

Redcar GUY
06-22-2004, 07:21 AM
That story sounded normal to me :)

04BlackAV
06-22-2004, 07:36 AM
I don`t think I`d have a wife for long if I acted like that going to a friend or families house.

Rainbow
06-22-2004, 07:46 AM
My car is my best friend! You did the right thing.

:lol

Womans point of view here!

sQuashed
06-22-2004, 07:59 AM
I feel your pain !!!

forrest@mothers
06-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Get a 3 or 4 layer thick car cover (NOAH or Evolution).

As much as I care for my cars, I remember being a kid once, too.

imported_Yosemite Dan
06-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 04BlackAV

I don`t think I`d have a wife for long if I acted like that going to a friend or families house.

You make that sound like a bad thing.:p

In case anybody cares I`m feeling much better today,

imported_Intermezzo
06-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Yosemite Dan

You make that sound like a bad thing.:p

In case anybody cares I`m feeling much better today,

Yosemite, I might be wrong, but I think 04BlackAV was just responding to Fleet`s suggestions. I would hope that any decent lady would not get upset at her husband for getting sick while visiting friends (even if it WAS fake). :D

I`m just glad my wife is as compulsive about our cars as I am. In fact, I often call her to the garage to do the `final-inspection` after a wash or wax.

Glad to hear you`re feeling better...hehe