PDA

View Full Version : Me and one of my friends are gonna give it a shot...

imported_speedingpenguin
06-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Well, we both need $, so we`re gonna give it a shot. Not gonna do anything CRAZY, just around the neighborhood and stuff, but we`d like some guidance on where to start...

We`re thinking for 45 bucks or so per car (Trucks, vans, SUV`s extra):

*Wash

*Bug/Tar removal

*Clay bar

*Paint cleaner

**Scratch removal (Scratch-X?) if needed

*Paint polish

*Wax

*Clean wheels / hub-caps throughly

*Clean and dress tires

*Clean exterior trim (hood orniments, grills, exhaust tips, etc.)

*Vacuum interior

*Carpet shampoo

*Leather conditioner on leather seats

*Clean dash area, dress w/ plastic/rubber dressing

*Clean windows on inside and outside

*Clean door jams and trunk area

And for 5 or 10 bucks extra, clean engine and dress it up with appropreate stuff....

Anything that we`re missing? Charging too much or two little?

What sort of stuff should we be using? Is something like Zaino overkill for most cars, or will Meguiars Deep Crystal stuff be good enough?

Any suggestions on how to get started? Thanks

-Chris (And Scott)

tpgsr
06-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Well, first thing that i will say is that you should have more than one set price per vehicle, and more than one single service that you can offer. Secon, for the ammount of work that you are showing you will do, your prices are very cheap. Lets say that 2 of you can doo all of that to an average BMW 745 in 4.5 hours. You make $45 dollars, that is $10/hour, which is $5/hour for each of you, then you subtract equipment and materials costand you are then somewhere around $3-4/hour. Does it still sound reasonable? My website is listed in my profile, check it out for some pricing suggestions.

As far as products, you need to have a good assortment of products simply because every car is different, and may need different levels of polish, or stronger carpet cleaner, etc...

My only suggestion is to make sure you cover all of your bases, and dont go into it expecting to make a quick buck. I was at a negative my first year, and have since slowly grown, and i am now finally making just over a thousand on a normal week, and several on a busy week. I also have employee expenses, and alot of equipment, advertising, product, maintenance, gas etc... expenses. You need to know your market, your budget, your abilities and much much more. I will be willing to answer any questions you may have, and help you along the way, but starting any business is not the smoothest paved road, and you ahve to be willing to take the bumps as they come

Michael

imported_speedingpenguin
06-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! do you have AIM instant messanger? Might be easier to chat that way...

Thanks

-Chris

gnahc79
06-21-2004, 07:02 PM
A lot of it depends on your location. My prices are reasonable compared to professional shops in norcal. The good ones start at ~$300 for a detail. For what you listed, I usually charge $150-$200 using a PC.

Where are ya? That could help us :).

tpgsr
06-21-2004, 07:32 PM
yes, i do. AIM: kudos483

Edit: Never Mind, go ahead and IM me

foris2
06-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Your price for what you guys will be doing is low. I charge $135-$200 for a detail.

hondaguy2582
06-21-2004, 09:22 PM
do a search on detail prices on here. Personally, I think an all out detail should be no less than 80 bucks(thats a small compact car, bigger means much much extra). And by the way, dont go anal like it was your car, your there to do a good job and make money.

imported_ajbarnes
06-21-2004, 09:45 PM
I too agree the prices are low. I just recently increased my prices to a minimum of $200-$240 for a regular full detail, and $300+ for concours. I would at least increase your price to around $120 ball park starting for regular size vehicles. As you grow in experience with technique and products, and given the market your neck of the woods has for auto detailing, increase your prices accordingly.

Good luck.:xyxthumbs :wavey