PDA

View Full Version : polish between coats of wax?

bchivers
06-21-2004, 02:37 PM
I have two coats of nxt wax on and I`m ready to put on another. My question is, will a coat of a non-abrasive polish on the existing wax (and then another coat of nxt) make a noticeable difference, or am I wasteing my time.

imported_jaobrien6
06-21-2004, 03:13 PM
What "non-abrasive polish" are you referring to? I`m wondering what polish would be non-abrasive, unless you`re referring to a chemical paint cleaner.

As for whether or not you`d be wasting your time, maybe... it depends on what you`re trying to accomplish. Polishing will remove some/most/all of the wax on the paint depending on how strong/aggressive the product that you use is. If there is nothing wrong with the paint to warrant polishing, and are just doing it because it might make it look better, you`re probably wasting your time. If there are any swirls, minor scratches, oxidation, etc... that need to be polished out, then you definitely wouldn`t be wasting your time. Polishing would restore the surface, and then you`d need to wax again because you`d have no protection on the surface anymore.

I might have missed the mark here `cause I`m not sure what product you`re thinking about using right now, but hopefully this helped.

John

bchivers
06-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Meguiar"s say their deep crystal polish (dc#2) is a pure polish, no abrasives in them.

imported_jaobrien6
06-21-2004, 03:27 PM
In that case, skip it. NXT is a better product, and already has mild cleaning and swirl filling capabilities. The deep crystal polish won`t really do anything for you.

I`ve used the deep crystal system before, and have since junked it all because I`ve found better products both locally and online (both from Meg`s and from other manufacturers).

bchivers
06-21-2004, 03:34 PM
What other products would you recommend?

du3ce
06-21-2004, 06:36 PM
this is my car with a the DC polish and a coat of NXT wax:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/291000-291999/291004_240_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/291000-291999/291004_243_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/291000-291999/291004_244_full.jpg

bchivers
06-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Looks great. I can see that I have long way to go. My truck is black as well, guess maybe I should start over and try again.

imported_jaobrien6
06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
As far as products to recommend, it totally depends on what you`re trying to do. Does the car need to be polished? Are there defects (such as swirl marks) that you`re trying to reduce/remove? Are you simply trying to prep the surface for a coat of wax/sealant? I think the question is way too open ended for a simple answer.

One of the statements that you`ll see around here is that the perfect finish is a process, not a product (can`t remember who the quote should be attributed to, Jngrbrdman, i believe). The Deep Crystal system is not my favorite, but as evidenced by du3ce`s pictures, you can still get very good results with it if your technique and process is sound.

My recommendation would be to spend some more time reading the posts here, and definitely check out all the articles in the Learn section. This will help you figure out what steps you need based on the finish of your car, and then you can pick some products to use.

I have mentioned a couple of times that I need to know what you`re trying to accomplish with a particular product. That`s key. Just applying the Deep Crystal polish because you think it will make it look *better* will usually lead to extra work. This will lead you down a path of using multiple products simply because someone on this board said they`re good products. However, without doing the research and understanding what you`re trying to accomplish with the products, you won`t realize that several of the products in your process are redundant, or worse, working against each other.

Hope this is helpful.

John