PDA

View Full Version : Using Menzerna IP...not getting the results I hoped for.

motobuild
06-20-2004, 07:22 PM
I just got the Menzerna IP (FP as well) in the mail last night.

This morning, I started in on my 2001 VW Jetta, "Cool White". Lot`s of swirls, they don`t look terribly deep, there are just a lot of them.

First I did an area with the IP and a CMA White Pad. No go. Next I did the same area with the IP and CMA Yellow Pad....looked like it was doing a little better but still....it didn`t appear as if any of the swirl marks got any better. Maybe a LITTLE better, but I`m hoping for a near swirl-free finish.

The PC is set a speed between 4-4.5. I don`t know if I`m using enough polish, or too much....it seems as if the polish gets dry awfully quick. But then again I don`t know what "quick" really is. I`m getting some dusting, but it seems to happen (for the most part) after 2 passes.

I`m a newb, lookin for some advice....I`m tryin not to use up all the polish I bought before I actually get the results I want. ;)

Thanks!

motobuild
06-20-2004, 08:37 PM
I just tried some MEG`s SFP that my brother had layin around. Not much different.

Don`t get me wrong, it looks better than it did before, but there are still a heck of a lot of swirls.

What about using DACP? That`s the one thing I CAN get locally.

crimson
06-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Isn`t IP a very light abrasive products?

Get some DACP or 3M`s SMR to get those swirls out.

ZaneO
06-20-2004, 09:10 PM
IP is probably strong enough for your needs. You need to use a fair amount of product with your yellow pad and the PC on 6. Move slowly back, forth, up, down, and diagonally. Remember that you will never get 100% of the swirls out, and if you do...they`ll be back eventually.

motobuild
06-20-2004, 09:53 PM
So you say I should try it @ 6?

I`ll give it a go...if that doesn`t do the trick I`ll pick up some DACP.

I understand that I won`t get everything out, but I think I can do better than what it looks like right now.

ZaneO
06-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Patience is the key ;)

scottabir
06-20-2004, 10:53 PM
I usually always polish at 5-6 with the PC. How much product are you using on the pad? It cant be much at all if it is flashing after 2 passes with the pc on 4. I usually put about 4 dots on the pad about the size of a nickel when using IP.

Slick
06-20-2004, 11:23 PM
O.K. kool I am having the same problem with my red 02 GT. Alot of swirl marks but they don`t "look" deep. I tried SSR2 but no luck. Is it abrasive enough or do I need to try the same method as mentioned above? Looks like **** when you look close in the light. If not what should I use? IP or DACP or is it the same abrasiveness as SSR2? Thanks fellas got to get it lookin` good so I can apply my AIO, SG, Souveran!

Slick
06-20-2004, 11:28 PM
I am using the Meguiar`s yellow polishing pad, good enough pad to use?

imported_eggroll
06-20-2004, 11:30 PM
SSR2 is not that strong I would compare it to 1z PP, SSR2.5 is supposed to be as strong as DACP.

Accumulator
06-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Slick- You might want to step up to the cutting pad (Meg`s Maroon) for your more aggressive work.

Tusin- Sure, try the DACP, but work it a *LONG* time, until it turns to powder and disappears. It`s hard to impress upon someone how long you have to work it...

Slick
06-21-2004, 12:39 PM
So what would be best different pad or SSR2.5? I hate to order the 2.5 and it don`t work either. Maybe 1z ultimate polish? Dunno. After the more agressive pad or polish then follow up with yellow pad and SSR1. Do I have to wash it after all the polishing before I apply AIO. Thanks alot really appreciate the help. Hope you get your swirls out Tusin.

teamvegas
06-21-2004, 12:42 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24209

This is exactly what you are looking for. Follow these steps and you will be very happy with the results.

Slick
06-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Well I just got done ordering the Menzerna twins, and an Orange Power Pad from CMA. Can`t wait to get started "again" on my stang.

You guys are rubbing off on me! After I got done washing my car and using SSR2 and SSR1 on the roof, hood, and trunk they were like man it looks good. I was like it looks like **** come look at these swirl marks. My dad was like noone will hardly even see them and I said yeah but I know they are there. Becoming obsessed! Thanks fellas!