PDA

View Full Version : wash car without soap

ALAN81
06-20-2004, 06:09 AM
I wax my car weekly or every other week.A few weeks ago I hosed my car off and dried it with a MF towel.I did not use soap.The car came out very clean.I was wondering if any one else does the same thing.The reason I ask is because the days that I know it will rain in the late afternoon I don`t want to deal with soap and a bucket but I still want a clean car to use.(the entire wash takes 15 minutes)There is a lot of wax on my car and with water(strong stream)really nothing sticks...............

SilverBelle04
06-20-2004, 06:18 AM
I`ve done that before when my car is just a little dusty but not dirty. I blow the dust off with a hard stream from the hose and then dry it.

Bob

tom p.
06-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Alan, you`re just rinsing and then drying, right? You`re not actually washing the car with a mitt and water.

It`s probably "OK" but I can`t see how that technique would remove any sort of accumulations near wheelwells, etc. You`d just end up wiping it off with the MF.

Mr Monk
06-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Of course Alan you`re refering to washing the car in the summer months, not when it`s 50 below in Fairbanks?!!!!

I would be concerned about scratching the surface while drying using that technique. How about first giving the car a good hard hosing then spray some QD on the wet surface. Then use your waffle weave MF towels for drying.

Jesstzn
06-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Alan if your car is a light color your fine .. if its dark blue or black your looking at swirling it. Been there. It all starts with light dust then pretty soom human nature takes over and its heavier dust and grit it picked up etc etc . Also .. you will need to wash the WW more.

Accumulator
06-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Alan if your car is a light color your fine .. if its dark blue or black your looking at swirling it. Been there...

Actually, unless you`re dealing with ss white paint, you`re probably gonna swirl the light colored vehicle too, it just won`t show as much. Considering everything that shampoo brings to the party (e.g., *lubricity*), I`d take the extra time and effort, myself. Sooner or later you`re gonna mar the paint instead of the wax.

SVR
06-21-2004, 05:55 AM
Alot of supposedly wax safe shampoo`s make the paint feel and sound rough after they are used on a restored finish

The best cared for cars have paintwork that doesn`t make a sound when you wipe your hand or a dry MF or cloth over it

I`ve been washing my ride with purified water only for a couple years but she gets a seriously thorough pressure rinse first and I`m talking 1,500 - 2,500 psi. I always shampoo the wheels, wheel arches and tyres and remove the gunk that the gun of the pressure machine can`t get to with the sponge (2 bucket method of course)

If you do this with a lightly soiled car you won`t even need to touch the paint by hand. If it`s quite filthy or covered in dried mud it`s a different story. There are a few wax free shampoo`s in my collection that are polish, wax and sealant safe and I use these on the filthy cars only.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-21-2004, 06:02 AM
Im exclusively QEW now with the water restriction I have here were you cannot use a hose to wash your car at all.

Prior to that, I cant recall an instance of not using car wash shampoo. I dont think I`d feel comfortable doing it with plain water personally. QEW was a hurdle enough! :lol

imported_Luster
06-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Once I used QEW, I was convinced that was the way to go.

I can wash any coupe or sedan in 10 minutes. (a little longer if multispoke wheels)...

The point is, I know I`m not scratching the paint and NO RINSING. Just wipe and dry.

Very fast, very efficient.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Yep, I can do a car far more efficiently with QEW ( takes me about 20 minutes, so apparently Im no Bill Luster! :lol ), and even if they do relax the water restrictions they have imposed, I dont think I will go back to a "conventional wash", particularly since I live in a unit complex.

ALAN81
06-21-2004, 08:12 AM
To answer the questions above my cars are jet black.I could do it in the colder weather but my hands freeze so I wait tell it gets warm.I take the hose and make sure I get every part of the paint still I don`t see any scratches.I would guess that I do it when I see pollan and dust,Inever did it when my car was really dirty

imported_Luster
06-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 6cyl`s_of_fury

Yep, I can do a car far more efficiently with QEW ( takes me about 20 minutes, so apparently Im no Bill Luster! :lol ),

Well, 10 minutes may be a little on the optimistic side!!!:)

But 10-20 for sure!