PDA

View Full Version : WTT:DACP & Meg`s #80 speed glaze

geminigsr
10-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Wondering if anybody wants to trade me some SSR2.5 and SSR1 for DACP and Speed Glaze? Just small samples enough to do a whole car up.. DACP/Glaze aint working too well on my car so I wanna try something different and will keel myself if I spend more money and don`t see results..

SmoothAsGlass
10-11-2004, 09:18 AM
I am actually looking at both of these lines...can you elaborate on exactly "DACP/Glaze aint working too well".

Wondering if anybody wants to trade me some SSR2.5 and SSR1 for DACP and Speed Glaze? Just small samples enough to do a whole car up.. DACP/Glaze aint working too well on my car so I wanna try something different and will keel myself if I spend more money and don`t see results..

geminigsr
10-11-2004, 09:26 AM
well,

I can`t seem to get the swirl removal process right with DACP/Speed Glaze - but I hear that Honda flat black is pretty difficult and even some of the experienced detailers here had trouble - so I just wanna try something different.

I tried that combo on my friends green paint and it came out flawless..

SmoothAsGlass
10-11-2004, 09:32 AM
I am leaning the same way as it seems some other people have not had the results they expected with DACP/Speed Glaze, though I am curious why go the SSR2.5 and then SSR1 instead of SSR2 and then SSR1? Also, any particular type of wax did you follow with on the green paint? Also, which buffing pads/speed did you use on it?

Honda`s black paint definitely seem like a challenge.

well,

I can`t seem to get the swirl removal process right with DACP/Speed Glaze - but I hear that Honda flat black is pretty difficult and even some of the experienced detailers here had trouble - so I just wanna try something different.

I tried that combo on my friends green paint and it came out flawless..

cheapshot
10-13-2004, 06:38 PM
i`m, down for a trade, i have both #83 and #80. were do i get the bottles? and how much do you want to trade? by the way i`m from New jersey.

i hear that SSR2.5 breaks down quicker than dacp. and i also heard some say it`s a bit less abrassive. (is this true?)
i could always use SSR1, i just got some ex-p and wouldn`t mind trying SSR1 as a last step polish before ex-p.

i would want enough of both 2.5 and 1 to do a large car.

my experiences with dacp and #80 (i was told meguires does not recommend there cutting pad with the pc) and i used it with dacp :brick

i am a beginner so keep this in mind, i used dacp and pc and polishing pad, it did nothing. i applied it to the pad 4 times, worked 4 times and i noticed it looked a little better, i then slapped the burgandy cutting pad on pc dacp, (on different section of hood) two passes swirls and fine scratches gone! the car i was working on is a black VW, i then followed with #80 and it left a nice wet look finish. however there was still hazing, so i did 80 a few times (3-4) times and the hazing is about 85 percent gone. you could not see it, only with a 500w halogen and your eyes a few inches from the finish. i plan on getting these all out with my next polishing job. anyways the car looks so much better.

did you notice any hazing with SSR2.5?

Flying C
10-13-2004, 07:38 PM
I tried DACP for the first time this weekend. The pad you use and the speed of the PC makes a big difference.

Make sure you are using a cutting pad (orange) with the PC set a 5.5. When I first tried DACP with a polishing pad (white) with the PC set a 5.5, or the cutting pad with the PC set at 3, the swirls were still there. However, as soon as I put the orange pad and set the PC to 5.5, the swirls were all gone after one application!

Next I used Meguiar #9 Swirl remover, top it with Klasse All in One, and this comming weekend I will apply P21S wax. My black car looks better now that when I took it out of the dealership.

Good Luck!

cheapshot
10-13-2004, 08:00 PM
who makes the orange pad? and how does it compare to meguires burgandy cutting pad? the burg cutting pad is pretty stiff, acually much stiffer then meguries yellow polishing pad.

edit flying c did you notice hazing? did you use good lighting and check closly? i couldn`t completely remove it with 80, and you used 9? is the pad i used that much more agressive?

cheapshot
10-13-2004, 08:59 PM
flying c is the pad you used this one?

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/lcm-76-2165vc.html

if so, this could have very well been my problem, it`s states in the description:
"The result is the ability to do light cutting or heavy polishing work without creating polishing marks that require more polishing work to remove."

i believe meguire is just a cutting pad. someone please, :beat me.

if anyone has used this pad with dacp, please post!
i`m trying to get things just right.

is this the RIGHT pad for dacp with pc?

is it more aggressive then megs polishing?, but not nearly as agressive as megs cutting?

--in other words, in cutting ability 1-10, 10 be most agressive

meguries cutting lets say is - 10

orange (lakecoutry/autopia?) would be some where between - 4-6?

meguries polishing - 1

--polishing ability 1-10, 10 being best for polishing

meguires polishing - 10

orange pad - 8-9?

meguires cutting -1

does this look even close to being acurate? i`ll have to get his pad and try it out, anyone on this?

sorry for long post, and and all the questions. meguires polishing pad did very very little and the cutting really cut it. i know these products have the ability to work nicly, just trying to find the right set up.

cheapshot
10-14-2004, 09:50 AM
anyone? i am suprised, being that dacp is so popular on the boards.

i would like to know what pads everyone is using to reduce and elimate hazing with dacp? especially on black finishes. i hear people say you could go right to your sealant wax, after dacp, this was not my case at all. multiple passes with dacp and polishing and 80 and polishing and still some hazing remains. this would make most suspect i am not working product long enough, using to much product. but i tried all different methods with no success.

does everyone look closely with a halogen light?

does everyone stand back and look and just not notice it?

does everyone even know this existsthat uses it?

does anyone think i`m out of my mind? :doh

if you have figured it out, let me know. please, you could pm me or post.

Eliot Ness
10-14-2004, 09:51 AM
flying c is the pad you used this one?

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/lcm-76-2165vc.html

.........is this the RIGHT pad for dacp with pc?

is it more aggressive then megs polishing?, but not nearly as agressive as megs cutting? ..........
There are several pads you can use with DACP, and the Megs cutting pad is not recommended by Megs for use on the PC (although some have used it).

I usually start off with a polishing pad with DACP, then if after a few passes (applications) I find it isn’t effective in removing the defects I’ll switch to the LC orange pad you mentioned above. If that still isn’t working (make several passes first) then you could switch to a LC yellow pad (more aggressive than the orange).

After I use DACP with the orange pad I usually follow up again with DACP on the polish pad. Worked correctly I can often go right to my LSP at this point. Sometimes it will be necessary to follow up with #80 on a polish pad. You just have to get a feel for how your paint/defects respond to DACP and the various pads. Severity of the defects, paint hardness, how you work the product, etc. all come into play here.

DACP needs to be worked at a fast PC speed but with slow arm speed. I work it until it virtually all dusts away and the finish usually looks very nice, but sometimes, as I mentioned before, a follow up with #80 will be needed.

groebuck
10-14-2004, 10:13 AM
if you have an organized living near you they sell hpde bottles in all sizes for cheap/

karll
10-18-2004, 04:46 AM
just to chime in....

i believe DACP (#83) is very close to #80 in the abrasive scale.

just a question or a thought, some would choose to use #83 OR #80, for the same problem (not both)....then go to a finer polish like #81 or #9. Any ideas???

Edwa
10-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Karll,
#80 can be used to replace #81 and #9. Its Meg`s all-in-one polish/glaze. I used to do 83/9/7/LSP more recently I have been doing 83/80/LSP. My #9 and #7 have been collecting dust since using #80.

I too am not happy with the #83 results. My SSR2.5 arrived on Friday, I have been chomping at the bit to try it out.