PDA

View Full Version : Quick, dumb question about claying.

motobuild
06-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Since you need to have a "lube" while using clay, is it fine to NOT dry the car after washing and prior to claying?!?!

Wash, Rinse very well, and then start claying using a QD when needed.

Yes? No? I understand about the water spot thing but I`ll be washing and drying the car after claying.

As you can see, I hate drying. Takes forever. ;)

imported_eggroll
06-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Yes, that`s how Ido it. Except I use car wash solution as lube.

04BlackAV
06-19-2004, 02:56 PM
No need to dry your car before you clay and all the more beter if your car is still wet.I just use a mix of soap and water to lube with.

motobuild
06-19-2004, 02:57 PM
SWEET....that`s what I figured, but being a newb I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Accumulator
06-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Tusin- Try to keep the vehicle wet with an occasional hose-down, that will help avoid the spotting.

chris0626
06-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Maybe "it depends" is the answer. It takes me an hour or two to clay. So there`s no way I`d leave the car wet for that long. I dry the car, then clay the car in 2-foot sections (using QD before and after claying each section). Then I can just move on to my wax/sealant. But it really does depend on your technique.

I`m puzzled by your comment that it takes you so long to dry. How come? I`m miserably, notoriously slow at most aspects of detailing. But drying is very fast for me. How come it takes you this long? (Mind you, I`m not bashing -- just being curious. Or perhaps I`m just hoping to find somebody who`s even slower than I at some part of this enterprise. :D )

Slick
06-22-2004, 01:08 AM
I prefer to clay while I wash the car while using the car wash solution as a lubricant. Cuts down on time!

raymond_ho2002
06-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Personally I`d still recommend drying before claying, and then going over the car once over with QD and a buffing towel. My reason for doing this is to remove excess dirt and loose contaminates that would otherwise prematurely saturate your clay. You`d also get the larger bits of dirt off your car so that they are less likely to be grinded against your paint during claying.

I always follow up claying with polishing anyway, so I never worry about waterspots. Spot-free drying isn`t as important to me as getting the car clean.

togwt
06-22-2004, 07:48 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Have you looked into ‘Drying with water’ (its really fast/efficient) and then using a waffle Weave Towel to finish?

Use a low-pressure, high volume water flow with the Ultimate Nozzle℠(or if you prefer remove the nozzle) you will see the water ‘sheet’ off, move the hose down to "feed" the sheet as it flows down the panel, this will keep the ‘sheet’ wide and it will carry away more water.

The remaining water can be removed using a 16†x 26†Autopia Ultimate Detailing (waffle weave) Towel, using a blotting motion, do not rub This gets rid of all the remaining drops and leaves only a little moisture, which can be removed with the towel.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *