PDA

View Full Version : First-time detail...on track?

Lin-chi
06-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi everyone :wavey Some how I ended up up here about 2 weeks ago and was hooked immediately. Now I`ve got a smaller account balance and wagon load of products on the way. I decided I`d try to take better care of my new silver 2004 Accord EX-L (had it month now) than I did my last car. So I wanted to check that my general process was on target and I have a few specific questions.

Have read lots of good things about the Klasse twins on silver I decided to go that route, even though I`m a bit nervous about the SG giving me a warm, stubborn welcome. I have, however, read every thread I could conjure about the BN method and perhaps that will be enough.

My plan is to wash, clay, AIOx1 and then SGx3 over the course of two weeks. I will be doing this by hand. I was then considering SGing once a month until AIOing again at 6 months. Is this ok or maybe excessive?

Another question I have is on using AIO on non-panel exterior areas, e.g. windows, wheels, , etc. This is ok, yes? How about SG on these areas? Which types of material should absolutely be avoided with each product?

Finally, living in Colorado I`m wondering if I should take any extra precautions with respect to lubrication considering the extra dry climate. For instance, wetting/wringing the applicators more than usual, maybe using a QD, taking the SG off really fast, etc. Also, how about leather in this climate. How often should I condition it?

Well, I know this is probably just been another "I`m nervous about ruining my new car" post but thanks for any pointers all the same.

Aurora
06-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Hey there! Welcome to the forum. I`m a newbie as well. Sounds like a plan. Just make sure you are happy with the finish because AIO will do almost nothing as far minor scratches and swirls go. In fact, many say it highlights them. I`m sure you`ll get some better replies here in a minute, but that`s about all I know. Good luck

wash-girl
06-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Welcome. It seems you have read quite a bit and are pretty much up to speed on the products and have the basic ideas right. Hopefully, you have also taken the time to download and read the Autopia Guide to Detailing (http://www.autopia.org/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=1) so that you are familiar with the proper washing methods used to avoid the introduction of swirls or other marring.

As far as your prep and protectant steps, I think you have chosen good products in the Klasse Twins. One of the top reasons to choose a sealant is for durability, and SG is known be among the best for that. For that reason, I would think that you could easily get through 3-6 months with your initial triple layer application. I think monthly renewals would be a waste of time and product. If you`re looking for a "sacrificial" layer, you might try a pure caranauba, like S100/P21S. It is so easy to apply that it really doesn`t take much longer than a good QDing, and you might find you like the warmer look with the wax topper.

With regard to the products` compatibility with different surfaces, most here use AIO on anything and everything. Some are careful to point out that Klasse does not approve it for windshield use, but many figure if it`s good for the other glass, why not the windshield. The SG label states it, too, can be used on any "non-porous" surface and lists the same things as AIO. I can`t think of anyone who has stated that either product should absolutely be kept away from any particular surfaces.

On the "dry enironment" issue, I don`t think anything will be staying on long enough to worry about special precautions. Of course, I`ve never worked in that type of environment, so I hope someone who has can comment. What I wouldn`t recommend is the use of QD to dampen the applicators, as it has been suggested that doing so risks an unwanted contamination of the chemical properties of the actual product being applied. If a damp applicator is recommended, simply use water.

Leather I`m not sure on, but I know you will have many more replies to address it.

Good luck!

--Jim

Accumulator
06-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Lin-chi- Welome to Autopia. Your plan sounds good.

Condition your leather as much as it needs :D I`m not really being facetious, you`ll notice that the conditioner sorta dissipates or otherwise goes away and your leather will seem a little dry. That`s when you retreat it. I don`t think you`ll have to make any realy allowances for CO`s conditions (I was just out there in April).

I use AIO on virtually everything except the windshield and tires. I also top it with SG on all sorts of surfaces, including black plastic exterior trim.

You`ll notice when the SG needs redone too. It`ll be a subtle difference that you`ll notice when you wash.

Don`t worry about the SG being hard to use. I use it on a number of silver vehicles and I think it`s *easy* to use. The whole trick is to put it on so thin you can barely tell you have any one there. Try to tell what you have/have not covered by how the applicator glides across the surface, rather than by what you see on the paint. It`s pretty incredible how little you have to apply. Oh, and the BN method isn`t the only way to use it. Some of us still use the old "let it set up for a while" method. Use whatever works best (and most conveniently) for *you*.

du3ce
06-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Lin-chi

Hi everyone :wavey Some how I ended up up here about 2 weeks ago and was hooked immediately. Now I`ve got a smaller account balance and wagon load of products on the way. I decided I`d try to take better care of my new silver 2004 Accord EX-L (had it month now) than I did my last car. So I wanted to check that my general process was on target and I have a few specific questions.

Have read lots of good things about the Klasse twins on silver I decided to go that route, even though I`m a bit nervous about the SG giving me a warm, stubborn welcome. I have, however, read every thread I could conjure about the BN method and perhaps that will be enough.

My plan is to wash, clay, AIOx1 and then SGx3 over the course of two weeks. I will be doing this by hand. I was then considering SGing once a month until AIOing again at 6 months. Is this ok or maybe excessive?

Another question I have is on using AIO on non-panel exterior areas, e.g. windows, wheels, , etc. This is ok, yes? How about SG on these areas? Which types of material should absolutely be avoided with each product?

Finally, living in Colorado I`m wondering if I should take any extra precautions with respect to lubrication considering the extra dry climate. For instance, wetting/wringing the applicators more than usual, maybe using a QD, taking the SG off really fast, etc. Also, how about leather in this climate. How often should I condition it?

Well, I know this is probably just been another "I`m nervous about ruining my new car" post but thanks for any pointers all the same.

Hey whats up, im from colorado also *westminster dont mean to go off topic but, We are having a meet this Saturday June 19 at 108th & Colorado in the park south parking lot. There will be 5th & 6th Generations accord there. If you are interested check out this thread its has directions to the place: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29570&forumid=49

hope to see you there.

Lin-chi
06-19-2004, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome and quick advice everyone.

I`ve definitely read through the detailing guide a few times. Will have to commit more to memory as I go. I`ll probably jump down to the computer and go through each section of the guide quickly as I do `em the first few times.

I may try letting the SG set up when I have a little more experience. If for no other reason than to compare the end results.

du3ce - a little more notice and I might have been able to plan for it. Enjoy, and hopefully by the time the next one rolls around I`ll have something to show. Thanks for the invite.

du3ce
06-21-2004, 01:52 AM
hey the meet is still on, it got postponed due to the weather. It will be on this saturday the 26th, 6pm at 108th and colorado